Sponsored

? How do you balance out function and feature??

OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree that the key question is “how will I use this vehicle”. The problem for many of us is that we don’t know the answer to this question. This will be my first 4x4 vehicle and I am buying Tom Sheppard’s book Four x Four Driving and hanging out on the Overland Bound website and can’t wait to take my Bronco out to do what it is designed to do. But you never know with hobbies whether you will fall in love with it or move on to something else. I am splitting the difference with form and function and going Black Diamond. If I fall in love with off roading, I think it will be capable and if I don’t, this will be the most fun trip to the mall I have ever taken.
Yeah I think that's a great choice. Same for me, this will by my first off road vehicle. I've wheeled with quite a few people enough to give me a taste for it.... its been a long time coming.
Sponsored

OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When considering options/accessories from the factory, be sure to weigh the difficulty to do it yourself, the cost (mentioned above), and the factory warranty. Something like the Aux switches make sense to me. Adding pod lights to the note doesn't when they could be added afterward especially with the wiring harness provided.

The other aspect that isn't mentioned enough is gap insurance. Loading up your build will balloon the total needing to be financed unless you intend to pay cash. If you finance more than the car is worth, you should consider gap insurance. The cost is often overlooked in many overzealous buyers.
Very true. I have a background it automotive service and fire truck fabrication. So adding a bank of switches and some pod lights won't be might first, haha. Thanks for the feedback

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Basesquatch is a great deal. For those that are looking for the most bang for their buck, it can't be beat. Get the functionality from the factory and put the lipstick on the pig as the aftermarket/budget allows.
I agree that the Basesquatch (even in 2.7/Auto) is probably the best deal. I, however, while liking the looks, will never need the 35's. I probably don't even really need 33's either, but need to have at least some of the look!!!

OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree that the Basesquatch (even in 2.7/Auto) is probably the best deal. I, however, while liking the looks, will never need the 35's. I probably don't even really need 33's either, but need to have at least some of the look!!!
Yeah, that look is so nice. The thing holding me to the 35s with bead locks are the dunes here in Michigan. Being able to lock diffs, drop pressure is super ideal. Though not impossible for the stock Black Diamond.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Help me rationalize my B&P priorities.

I have quite a few options to consider, but budget is budget. My biggest struggle right now is how do I want to spend that cash.

Please check out these options and let me know your thoughts. Should I go for the Samsquanch 2.7 base, or the 2.3 Mall Crawler.

FYI Customization will be occurring

2020-10-26_11-13-52.png
I guess we need to know what budget is.

Normally, the highest offering is out of that comfort zone you’ve established monetarily. The lowest offering is screeching to a bare minimum level of acceptance. So, you could conclude w/the “Goldilocks Theory” that the middle is just right.

now, if you are looking for my opinion about what to prioritize on a vehicle...
Heart (Engine)
Soul (Transmission)
Mind (Color)
Strength (Functionality/Purpose)

Technology changes so much and often wears out quickly, so if you’re fretting over Navigation, Speakers, and Tires, all of that stuff becomes worn/outdated quickly and when you have more money down the road, you can choose to upgrade the technology and keep the vehicle or upgrade the vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess we need to know what budget is.

Normally, the highest offering is out of that comfort zone you’ve established monetarily. The lowest offering is screeching to a bare minimum level of acceptance. So, you could conclude w/the “Goldilocks Theory” that the middle is just right.

now, if you are looking for my opinion about what to prioritize on a vehicle...
Heart (Engine)
Soul (Transmission)
Mind (Color)
Strength (Functionality/Purpose)

Technology changes so much and often wears out quickly, so if you’re fretting over Navigation, Speakers, and Tires, all of that stuff becomes worn/outdated quickly and when you have more money down the road, you can choose to upgrade the technology and keep the vehicle or upgrade the vehicle.
So the options shown all generally cost the same, around $45k. Based off your logic, I feel the Black Diamond might be a solid option. That BD interior is something great and not easy to do aftermarket, lifts and tires are. I'm abandoning tech for this purchase. My wife just picked up a tech'd out 2020 expedition, so if I need a tech fix, I'll just trade her for a couple days.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long will you keep the rig, what is your history with vehicles. Trade them off every few years, what do you plan on doing with it..

For me I’m 6 -7 years from retirement and this most likely will be my last vehicle purchase, I drive about 8k a year and do a lot of
Camping and mountain biking.. so the Base has more than enough functionality, but with this being the last new vehicle I buy I Will loader up a little bit..
Most likely a 4 door squatch BD, do I need the squatch- hell no, do I want it hell yes..

Good luck with your decisions

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the options shown all generally cost the same, around $45k. Based off your logic, I feel the Black Diamond might be a solid option. That BD interior is something great and not easy to do aftermarket, lifts and tires are. I'm abandoning tech for this purchase. My wife just picked up a tech'd out 2020 expedition, so if I need a tech fix, I'll just trade her for a couple days.
Yep, my wife and I swap vehicles, mostly because of commutes (keep mileage down), but also because of desirability (my current car being the 11 year old-dependable, hers being new and glitzy).

if we weren’t doing that timeshare, I’d millennial-proof (manual transmission) my Bronco in a heart beat, but she’s really pushing back, so that’s not going to happen.

for me, nav doesn’t matter (iPhone & Apple Watch), off-roading does, but they all appear capable, and I’ve created 3 builds w/three different colors, so I have a lot of wiggle-room that has me anywhere from $35K-$49K.

$50K seems to be my puke point, but I rationalize it as if I budget correctly, I can get there, given the time and delivery (June 2021 is a long time away)... so, for me, it’s how dedicated/badly do I want that Cyber Orange Badlands? If something unforeseen happens, I’ve got my Broncos prioritized.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Unless you want high package, I would start with BD or Base and build on capability.

FYI - I would not add the Ford rock rails to the base, and instead go aftermarket with a solid slider set up. (Maybe not the steel bumper too.)

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your answer 100% depends on your use case. Are you going off-road? Or will it only leave pavement to park on the grass at your kids soccer game?

After you answer that question, you need to be honest with yourself on how comfortable you are with doing aftermarket mods. Then you need to decide what can be added easily in the aftermarket if you are OK with doing aftermarket mods. The ONLY reason I’ll get a Badlands is because of the Lux package and sway-bar disconnect - things that can’t really be added aftermarket.

If you are not comfortable with doing aftermarket mods and it’s going to be a pavement pounder, get the one that looks the part. If you’re comfortable with mods and might go off-road some, get the most capable rig possible and do the aesthetics as your cash-flow and budget allow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your answer 100% depends on your use case. Are you going off-road? Or will it only leave pavement to park on the grass at your kids soccer game?

After you answer that question, you need to be honest with yourself on how comfortable you are with doing aftermarket mods. Then you need to decide what can be added easily in the aftermarket if you are OK with doing aftermarket mods. The ONLY reason I’ll get a Badlands is because of the Lux package and sway-bar disconnect - things that can’t really be added aftermarket.

If you are not comfortable with doing aftermarket mods and it’s going to be a pavement pounder, get the one that looks the part. If you’re comfortable with mods and might go off-road some, get the most capable rig possible and do the aesthetics as your cash-flow and budget allow.
Great points. I honestly don't think there is a mod out there that I can't handle, its the monetary limitation. As this will likely be a purchase that I'll hold on to for many years, Base may be best. I like the concept of starting with a functional base and building up.

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm struggling too! My wife says buy what I want as I will most likely have the Bronco for 10+ years (I've had my current F150 for 12 years). I'm not going to go crazy on a build. At the end of the day its a vehicle and will spend most of its life in my driveway as I'm currently provided a work vehicle.

The Bronco will be a 4 Door for the room. It's main use will be a convertible 4x4 DD with very limited off-roading (meaning fire roads, easy/beginner trails with no particular need for lockers).

My ideal would be a Badlands with the 2.7/Auto, but that puts me over $50K and my mental budget is ~$45K before TTL.

I would like to run top/doors off as much as possible and the Black Diamond gives me the MGV seats and rubber floor to help with water damage and I can do the Advanced 4x4 and that puts me at ~$43K with a couple other options. Tire size with this is also close to the 33's of the Badlands with room to go a touch bigger.

I've considered Big Bend builds, but if I option up from a Base I want the MGV seats so I think the Big Bend is a no go.

I've also been considering a Base 2.7/Auto and doing everything aftermarket. Base with 2.7/Auto/Mud Flaps/Floor Liners/Aux Switches is just over $36K. Gives me a lot of room for upgraded tires/wheels, seat covers, etc. I really hope that I can also option in the Advanced 4x4 T-Case w/o going Sasquatch.

Still trying to figure out best path. Future value not much of a concern as I plan on keeping it for 10+ years.
This is a sensible analysis. And I'm in the same boat as you. And I'm ALWAYS sensible. But this time I've decided to bump up to a Badlands and mentally offset the added cost with the money I've not spent this year (and likely next year) on vacations, camping, ski trips, etc.

Given this new world we live in, I plan to spend more time road tripping with my wife and exploring this glorious country of ours by land. I've built my rig (Cyber Orange 2 door Badlands, 2.7 Auto, non-Squatch, upgraded wheels) with this lifestyle in mind and with the expectation that we will get ourselves into situations where we may need/want the added capability, particularly since we plan to keep it 10+ years. Also, the Badlands is just badass and, I admit, that's also a factor for me.

EDIT: I have Z-plan, so that also makes the Badlands cost easier to swallow.

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, my wife and I swap vehicles, mostly because of commutes (keep mileage down), but also because of desirability (my current car being the 11 year old-dependable, hers being new and glitzy).

if we weren’t doing that timeshare, I’d millennial-proof (manual transmission) my Bronco in a heart beat, but she’s really pushing back, so that’s not going to happen.

for me, nav doesn’t matter (iPhone & Apple Watch), off-roading does, but they all appear capable, and I’ve created 3 builds w/three different colors, so I have a lot of wiggle-room that has me anywhere from $35K-$49K.

$50K seems to be my puke point, but I rationalize it as if I budget correctly, I can get there, given the time and delivery (June 2021 is a long time away)... so, for me, it’s how dedicated/badly do I want that Cyber Orange Badlands? If something unforeseen happens, I’ve got my Broncos prioritized.
Every night I dream about by Cyber Orange Badlands!

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Help me rationalize my B&P priorities.

I have quite a few options to consider, but budget is budget. My biggest struggle right now is how do I want to spend that cash.

Please check out these options and let me know your thoughts. Should I go for the Samsquanch 2.7 base, or the 2.3 Mall Crawler.

FYI Customization will be occurring

2020-10-26_11-13-52.png
If you have younger kids (side steps) and the most dirt your Bronco is gonna see is savage parking when going to lacrosse tournament, I’d go 1

If you plan on going to the beach, mountains, and want easier cleanupof floor and materials. Again if you are younger kids you still may want the step. go 2

if you want to have a cheap base and customize it go 3 regardless of what you do with it. It can become anything from a badass rock crawler to a more friendly family car
Sponsored