12" for Stinger box upgrade advice

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I currently have the Stinger tailgate sub with the Phoenix Gold 12" shallow mount sub, specs; https://phoenixgold.com/products/txjwb12#subwoofer-features

I am looking for a bit more quality in the bass, and lows. The Phoenix has 2ohm. As I understand it, 2ohm is louder, but 4ohm is better quality? I have a 700w Stinger amp; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMVXC6HZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Searching "Best 12" shallow sub" came up with an article with several different levels of subs; https://www.caraudionow.com/best-shallow-mount-subwoofers/

At this level they are all pretty good, and I probably cant tell the difference between them. Does anyone have any personal expierence with any of these? The cost doesn't really matter, want the lowest, best sounding bass. The Hertz and Rockford Fosgate are both 2ohm, the JL is 4ohm. Various wattage.

I did search the forums, couldn't really find much. Thanks!
Sponsored

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I understand it, 2ohm is louder, but 4ohm is better quality?
That's not really accurate - it is just a measure of resistance. The lower the resistance, the more power your amplifier will provide. For example, the specs on your amplifier is listed as:
  • 300 watts @ 4ohms
  • 500 watts @ 2ohms
  • 700 watts @ 1ohm
Both the Hertz and Rockford Fosgate subs you listed are strictly 2ohms. The JL is actually what they call a dual-voice coil sub (DVC), so it can be wired to operate at either 4ohms or 2ohms.

All can handle between 500-600 watts, so that is right in line with your amplifier output at 2ohms. All are solid brands, so I don't think there is a bad choice amongst them. I really like JL, but don't have personal experience with the other two.

What are you hoping for when you say you want more quality?

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's not really accurate - it is just a measure of resistance. The lower the resistance, the more power your amplifier will provide. For example, the specs on your amplifier is listed as:
  • 300 watts @ 4ohms
  • 500 watts @ 2ohms
  • 700 watts @ 1ohm
Both the Hertz and Rockford Fosgate subs you listed are strictly 2ohms. The JL is actually what they call a dual-voice coil sub (DVC), so it can be wired to operate at either 4ohms or 2ohms.

All can handle between 500-600 watts, so that is right in line with your amplifier output at 2ohms. All are solid brands, so I don't think there is a bad choice amongst them. I really like JL, but don't have personal experience with the other two.

What are you hoping for when you say you want more quality?
Thanks for the reply, clears up some things. More bottom end bass is really what I am looking for. I am pretty happy with the Phoenix, but like most things always looking for a little better. Based on the settings you listed, which way would you rather run a sub, 4ohm or 2ohm?

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would go JL unless you are looking to limit spend and go with the Pioneer instead. Both would work very well for the setup.

Either way, please keep us updated on what you go with.

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd go with the JL wired at 2ohms. They have been well-respected for a very long time and have the deep bass you're looking for.

Sponsored
OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the suggestions, ordered the JL. Should be here the 5th.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, JL doesn't fit. All excited installing it, but just wouldn't fit. Last pic shows as far as it'd go in. Guess I'll return it and try another.
Ford Bronco 12" for Stinger box upgrade advice 20230405_163258
Ford Bronco 12" for Stinger box upgrade advice 20230405_163420
Ford Bronco 12" for Stinger box upgrade advice 20230405_163518

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bummer - i believe i have seen another with this installed before. what exactly didn't fit about it? hard to tell from the photo?

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bummer - i believe i have seen another with this installed before. what exactly didn't fit about it? hard to tell from the photo?
It just won't push in. The base, or whatever the plastic part on the back of the is called. That is as far it will go into the enclosure.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ahh, ok. you could take a dremel sander attachment and just shave a couple mm off if that works for you. should not be a big issue there. The mounting depth will not be a concern.

Sponsored

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you check the specs on if that box has enough volume for the JL? If it does and it has enough depth as well then you can either open up the hole or take the box to a reputable shop and ask them if they will cut it to fit the JL.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did you check the specs on if that box has enough volume for the JL? If it does and it has enough depth as well then you can either open up the hole or take the box to a reputable shop and ask them if they will cut it to fit the JL.
It's fairly close to the same specs, same size sub. Just figured it'd fit. I'm not gonna bore out the hole for it. Worst case I'll use the Phoenix, it's so terrible.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's fairly close to the same specs, same size sub. Just figured it'd fit. I'm not gonna bore out the hole for it. Worst case I'll use the Phoenix, it's so terrible.
The basket is just slightly larger on the JL. Boring it out wont have a negative effect even if you use the Phoenix Sub instead. I would attempt that first as it is just likely a few MM of clearance if that.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely enough volume and depth.

Ford Bronco 12" for Stinger box upgrade advice 1680734973701