First Name
Reese
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F150 SCREW XLT, 15 Kia Optima SX Turbo
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to drive a 2.3l Ranger today to fill my curiosity. I’ve been in the 2.7 camp for awhile, but reviews I’ve seen and people are happy with the 2.3. So, I’m intrigued enough to go drive one.
Advertisement

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F150 SCREW XLT, 15 Kia Optima SX Turbo
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to drive a 2.3l Ranger today to fill my curiosity. I’ve been in the 2.7 camp for awhile, but reviews I’ve seen and people are happy with the 2.3. So, I’m intrigued enough to go drive one.
I've been converted to 2.3L from the 2.7L. I've driven both and while the 2.7L is pretty powerful and quick, the 2.3L is no slouch. It's going to be very solid coupled with sport and the other goat modes. I thought the Ranger exceeded my expectations and I didn't even have it in sport mode. I drove an XLT Ranger. It was nicer than I anticipated as well.

If I ever want more out of the 2.3L, I'll pay for the Ford Performance tune. I'll end up right near the ratings for the 2.7L.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Bronco
Base
Think we could fit a 69L under the hood?
0A19D694-79F6-4A62-AE59-18918A8342A2.jpeg

zombie

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Soft top (manual!)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

So I'll play devil's advocate... if a catch-can setup was required, why would manufacturers not include one from the factory? If it could prevent premature engine wear/failure, would it not be in their best interest to prevent warranty repairs?

Mr. Nice

Badlands
First Name
Jayson
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Bronco
Badlands
So I'll play devil's advocate... if a catch-can setup was required, why would manufacturers not include one from the factory? If it could prevent premature engine wear/failure, would it not be in their best interest to prevent warranty repairs?
They are not a required mod, just a beneficial one.
Catch cans require additional maintenance. Freezing temperatures can also create additional precautions due to water vapor.
Most all the damage and performance loss is over time. Meaning it won't show up for a while and is considered normal wear. I think someone would have a tough time putting in a warranty claim for dirty intake valves.

Manufacturers don't want your car to run forever, but I want mine to.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement