Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one?

tropical2020

First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Forgive my dumb question I am almost afraid to post this. I am a chick with no expertise in vehicles. When I build a Bronco it gives two options:

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine
2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

The Bronco will be doing off-roading in the mountains (nothing serious). I am confused whether it is worth getting the 2.7L over the 2.3L? Does one use "less gas" than the other? The Bronco would also be my daily driver. 100% a 2 door!... with 2nd row seats removed and looking at the Black Diamond trim.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Forgive my dumb question I am almost afraid to post this. I am a chick with no expertise in vehicles. When I build a Bronco it gives two options:

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

The Bronco will be doing off-roading in the mountains (nothing serious). I am confused whether it is worth getting the 2.7L over the 2.3L? Does one use "less gas" than the other? The Bronco would also be my daily driver. 100% a 2 door!... with 2nd row seats removed and looking at the Black Diamond trim.

Thanks!
Ok. The 2.7 is the bigger engine. It will have less of MPG than the 2.3, but more power. I have a Badlands with a 2.7.

Also, do you want a manual or automatic? The 2.3 can be had in a manual or automatic. The 2.7 is automatic only.

For your use, any one of the engines would be fine. It comes down to driving habits and what you want to get out of it.

OP
OP
tropical2020

tropical2020

First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks I see! I will be needing automatic...

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

Thanks!
We ordered the 2.7 and are scheduled for a late august build. My wife test drove both and decided on the V6 almost solely on engine noise. Also 2 door. Stoked! Good luck with your choice. I’m sure others can weigh in with actual advice. We’re at sea level and have no idea how these engines compare at altitude.

Sponsored

ElonMuk

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the vehicles
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Black Diamond 2DR w/ the 2.3l engine and auto trans. IMO it has enough power for what the vehicle is gonna be used for in my case, Overlanding. If need be I will add a Ford Tune but with the Pedal Commander it works just fine. I am not a huge fan of the 2.7l as I have worked on some and they are a PITA. I also had a Ranger with a 2.3l a few years ago and had good results with it. I would regularly head up to Sedona or Flagstaff from Phoenix w/ out any power issues. Thus why I went that route.

Good luck on either choice 🙌

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like that you used the "®" symbol.

Frankly both engines have their camps but both are generally fine.

2.7: More power, likely lower MPG and higher resale.
2.3: Better MPG in most situations, likely better long term cost of ownership (reliability, repair costs).

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks I see! I will be needing automatic...
I went with the 2.3 only because it's offered with a manual, if you're auto only then I would pay extra for the 2.7. Fuel economy is dismal in whatever configuration so you might as well go for the more powerful one if the price increase doesn't bother you.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good choice in the 2dr! 😉 I have a 23 2dr 2.3 Badlands and other than the missing Sport mode (which the Ford ProCal somewhat provides), the 2.3 is perfect, especially with the 2dr. It has nearly 300hp and plenty of torque, and the (single) turbo will get you on the freeway just fine.

Note, if you're looking at the Wildtrak, it is only 2.7, which obviates the question.

So unless you're worried about a little more on resale or just really like to vroom vroom, the 2.3I is a great bargain. The ProCal, which currently runs ~$700 @LethalPerformance, will provide some of what you'd miss with stock 2.7. I started off with the 2.7 but couldn't justify the additional cost.

Spiniker

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

Thanks!
I have same build but chose 2 7 for the power. The mpg is only 1 or 2 difference unless you have a lead foot. The 2 3 has direct injection only and could have carbon problems around 60k. But 2 7 has direct inj and port inj . Port inj helps clean the intake valves and wont have carbon issue for twice as long. Easier to change oil to .

Sponsored
OP
OP
tropical2020

tropical2020

First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We ordered the 2.7 and are scheduled for a late august build. My wife test drove both and decided on the V6 almost solely on engine noise. Also 2 door. Stoked! Good luck with your choice. I’m sure others can weigh in with actual advice. We’re at sea level and have no idea how these engines compare at altitude.
Interesting thanks! So the engine noise is quieter on the 2.7L V6 vs the 2.3L?

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the 2.3, parents have the 2.7.

I think they are both about the same in terms of quickness, however the 2.7 feels like it doesn't have to work as hard to get the power out of it. The 2.3 you spend a lot of time mashing the throttle and is definitely working harder to get the power out of it, but it's there.

I don't regret getting the 2.3 but if I get another Bronco at any point it will probably be the 2.7. Exhaust note sounds a little better on the 2.7 too at startup.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

Thanks!
To me it comes down to if you want a manual transmission. If you want to row your own gears it's 2.3L. For an auto, I'd just take the extra power from the V6 - that's my preference.

Guys on both ends seem to be satisfied with the performance.

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting thanks! So the engine noise is quieter on the 2.7L V6 vs the 2.3L?
In our case yes. But we only drove a 2dr BD 2.7 (I wanted to buy that day) and the next week we drove a 4dr 2.3. Noticeable noise difference but also different builds.
And I was only a passenger both times.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Completely satisfied with our 2.3 manual in our Badlands. Had zero concerns or issues with power when cruising through colorado, utah, arizona and new mexico last month. Still averaged over 20mpg for the entire trip, including 6 days in Moab. Ran up all the big name passes on I70 in 5th gear with the cruise set,
Sponsored