Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one?

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have owned 7 new Broncos since 2021. I have had two door, four door, 2.3 motors and 2.7 motors. Badlands, Black diamond, base, and big bend trim packages. Sasquatch and non sasquatch with both engines.

Both are plenty of engine for any configuration however I settled on the 2.7 for both the wife's and my 4 door badlands which I believe we will keep for a long time. Both have sasquatch. My daughter is happy with her 2 door base with sasquatch and the smaller engine but she is also driving a manual transmission.

In the mountains, loaded I would buy the 2.7. After driving them both it was obvious to me which one I like the best.
Sponsored

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Crawler gear has entered the chat...

Kidding aside, what we don't know is what is the real torque difference between the 2.3 and 2.7 when using light throttle. Dyno numbers are at wide open throttle, and in these engines under full turbo boost.
This is so true, it's hard to say what type of figures you are getting at lighter throttle. That said picking the right line on a trail is more important than worrying about which engine is putting out more power and torque. Pulling a trailer or loading your Bronco down you may be able to tell the difference between the 2.3 and the 2.7 but it isn't going to be earth shattering.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have owned 7 new Broncos since 2021. I have had two door, four door, 2.3 motors and 2.7 motors. Badlands, Black diamond, base, and big bend trim packages. Sasquatch and non sasquatch with both engines.

Both are plenty of engine for any configuration however I settled on the 2.7 for both the wife's and my 4 door badlands which I believe we will keep for a long time. Both have sasquatch. My daughter is happy with her 2 door base with sasquatch and the smaller engine but she is also driving a manual transmission.

In the mountains, loaded I would buy the 2.7. After driving them both it was obvious to me which one I like the best.
So you're the reason why people have been waiting 3 years for their car to be built!

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you're the reason why people have been waiting 3 years for their car to be built!
not sure on that lol. I waited 18 months for number one. Took me a few more to decide which one I wanted.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is so true, it's hard to say what type of figures you are getting at lighter throttle. That said picking the right line on a trail is more important than worrying about which engine is putting out more power and torque. Pulling a trailer or loading your Bronco down you may be able to tell the difference between the 2.3 and the 2.7 but it isn't going to be earth shattering.
I should have also said WOT HP/TQ is important off road in some circumstances. Hill climbing and mud bogs both need HP/TQ for example. A recent Matts Off Road video showed how important power to weight can be as their rigs struggled to climb a long sandy incline. Their Wildtrak did very well there.

In a deep thick mud bog you need to keep the wheels spinning fast to clear the mud out the tires.

Does the 2.3 have enough HP/TQ? I don't know.

Sponsored

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I should have also said WOT HP/TQ is important off road in some circumstances. Hill climbing and mud bogs both need HP/TQ for example. A recent Matts Off Road video showed how important power to weight can be as their rigs struggled to climb a long sandy incline. Their Wildtrak did very well there.

In a deep thick mud bog you need to keep the wheels spinning fast to clear the mud out the tires.

Does the 2.3 have enough HP/TQ? I don't know.
I stay completely away from mud and mud bogs, grew up in that crap, guess that's why a gravitate towards the desert and rocks out west.

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
Consider the 3.0 raptor engine is a 2.7 with the bore and stroke increased by 2-3 millimeters each. Other than that, it’s basically the same nano-architecture engine. except no port fuel injection in the 3.0, therefore the carbon buildup is there just like the 2.3

Perhaps this is why the ford performance tune for the 2.7 boosts it only enough to be marginally below the stock 3.0 even though there’s probably more room to run. Ford can’t get too close to mess up that price premium

So a raptor-cousin 2.7 engine in a 2022 4D BaseQuatch with HOSS 2.0 vs 4.0. Not as good as a Raptor? Of course, but not that far off either, unless of your commute is a desert-run. But for $45K less compared to an MSRP Raptor?

Please. Take the 2.7 engine with any SAS and don’t look back

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for all of this input. I ordered a 2 door with the 2.3 and I am sure I will be more than happy with that engine. For me it was cost, as I wanted to stay under 50k. But at the same time with the 2 door the 2.3 will be fine. Can't wait for the day it arrives!!!!!

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for all of this input. I ordered a 2 door with the 2.3 and I am sure I will be more than happy with that engine. For me it was cost, as I wanted to stay under 50k. But at the same time with the 2 door the 2.3 will be fine. Can't wait for the day it arrives!!!!!
You won't regret it.
Sponsored