Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one?

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s all about the 7 speed manual for me. Can you name a gas powered vehicle that is 4x4, turbo, with a manual transmission? I cant think of any….
Jeep has an 4-cyl turbo with manual.

Although not a rock crawler, Subaru WRX has a turbo 4 with manual.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For off-roading something I would have liked to know when choosing the 2.7l engine is that there are frame support braces added to the frame. These hang lower than the frame itself, and I (along with others) found that I needed to add skidplates to them.

That being said the 2.7l is great. The increased torque makes it quite a wild horse.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
2.3 Felt underpowered to me, Manual was better but as an avid off roader I'll probably never buy a manual trail rig again (I have two and wish they were auto all the time). In a small mustang or passenger car maybe but not in a large Bronco. But some folks loved the 2.5l jeep offered in the TJ and that was a dog as well.
FWIW I don't know if anyone's ever owned a car and said "gee I wish I had less displacement and power"

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not driven the 2.3L for the Bronco, however, I owned the Jeep EcoDiesel that only produced 240hp. I felt that was plenty to power the Jeep and it would get up and go if you needed it to. I haven't read all these posts in this thread yet, however, I suspect the the 2.3L is much better suited in a 2 door.

I am really pleased with the 2.7L.

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not reading through the whole thread which is a lot of personal opinions (which is fine, and Im sure helps you too).

-Do you want a 4 cylinder (single turbo) or a 6 cylinder (twin turbo)?
-The V6 technically has more parts with the additional turbo and additional engine components so theoretically, that's more to go wrong.. But both have a pretty good track record for reliability in other Ford cars.
-Fuel efficiency in the 4 may be slightly better but you also may end up heavier on the throttle to move the truck at times, so it may offset that. Fuel efficiency shouldn't be a major concern when buying a 5k lb brick ;)
-Do you care about performance?
-Is the 1700$ upcharge for the 2.7 a problem for your budget?
-You already stated you are getting an auto so the available transmission/s (and lack thereof) with each, is not a consideration.

Last but not least... no-one has complains about having too much power, but you can definitely be unhappy with not having enough power.

IMO the 2.7 was a no-budge option for me. You can absolutely feel the difference of approx 30 hp/100 ft lb of torque. The 2.3 is however on-par with competitors and is still a respectable option. One can argue you can just throw the Ford Performance on the 2.3 and be almost on par with the 2.7... but you can also do that with the 2.7 and have even more improved performance.

If it's in your budget, I see no reason you wouldn't choose the "upgraded" engine.

Rodeoman

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond, Sequoia, 2500 hd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you , I needed to update to “another“ 🤣

thats cool the Jeep now has a turbo. I hadn’t realized that….in Colorado the turbo is key. I left the AWD cars off the list. Both the STI and WRX seem to be the last of that breed. I had a Auti A4, turbo, 6 speed…it was a great car too.

are you sure Jeep offers a turbo with a manual transmission? I did seeJeep has the Turbo in the Sahara, but it appears only to include the 8 speed automatic.

IMG_0487.png

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you , I needed to update to “another“ 🤣

thats cool the Jeep now has a turbo. I hadn’t realized that….in Colorado the turbo is key. I left the AWD cars off the list. Both the STI and WRX seem to be the last of that breed. I had a Auti A4, turbo, 6 speed…it was a great car too.

are you sure Jeep offers a turbo with a manual transmission? I did seeJeep has the Turbo in the Sahara, but it appears only to include the 8 speed automatic.

Ford Bronco 2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one? IMG_0487
You may be correct. I did not notice it changes the engine choice back to the v6 when manual is selected.

Rodeoman

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond, Sequoia, 2500 hd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You may be correct. I did not notice it changes the engine choice back to the v6 when manual is selected.
I thought maybe the new Jeep turbo diesel could be had in a manual, I don’t that is possible either.

Is the 2.3L my be the last of the turbo, 4x4 (transfer case), and manual? What interesting the manual is currently on manf hold. I wonder if Ford is going to obsolete the option. I really hope not…..

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not against the 2.7. One nice feature is one pedal drive which is only with the V6. I have the 2.3 auto 4door with 4.6 gearing. Couldn’t be happier. I never feel the need for another 20-30hp and some additional torque. If they offered a V8 doubling all specs would be another story. Just run 2.3 on 93 when needed.
2.3 doesn’t have the cam phaser issue so many have with the 2.7. 2.7 is more prone to oil leaks with plastic pan seal at block. Carbon build up will happen to either eventually. It’s just a maintenance issue. If mechanically inclined you can purchase everything needed for half the cost of getting it done. Assuming you own a compressor and shop vac.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I predict 2.7 shortage now that the F150 will come standard with it.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was going to offer that the lower weight of the 2.3 is a benefit if you do not have lockers. The guy that runs Weekends and Waypoints YouTube channel is doing all of his driving in an open diff Big Bend, and I've seen him get his Bronco over obstacles where I had both ends locked in. Your plan for a BD means you will have a rear locker so that is not a concern. I love my 2.7, but my use case involves a trailer. Two door owners seem plenty happy with thier 2.3s. You came here for help, and all you got was a bunch of conflicting opinions. I hope some of them helped.

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.3L I-4 is a BEAST ! ! !
To me, the power of the 2.3 is unbelievable - a few decades ago it was unheard of
Big Bingo there.

I bought a red OBX Bronco in memory of a red 1978 Bronco that was the first car I drove as a teenager. I think that Gen2 Bronco had the 400, with a whopping 160 HP. With the accelerator buried, that beast maxed at 85 mph (but with no head wind)! Almost 14 seconds to get to 60 MPH. Maybe 11 MPG. A 2.3L Bronco would vastly outperform that '78.

The red OBX I have has the 2.7L - I simply wanted the more powerful engine. But from the specs and reviews I read, the 2.3L will not turn the Bronco into a slug bug.

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't get trail turn assist with the 2.3... but you do get roof racks & winch - hence the everglades.

and the 2.7 just sounds soo much better than the 2.3
Sponsored