Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one?

Coastalcop

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well here’s my .02 and worth exactly what you paid for it.

2.3 is going to be fine for your stated needs. It also has an added advantage of parts availability a metal oil pump chain and if you lose your secondary belt , you only lose air conditioning. All things to consider if you decide to use as an over landing rig .

the Black diamond trim is a great package (I’m biased because that’s what I bought , but only after tons of research ) and includes the rear locker If you don’t get the Sas package ( which mine has)

fuel economy is going to be primarily a function of speed, the bronco has all the aerodynamic slip of a brick…… turned sideways . In my parts most roads are posted between 75-85 mph with the understanding that everyone is going plus 10+ over posted. THATS what will eat your lunch in fuel economy.

lastly , if your pulling the rear seats , don’t forget to pull the female portion of the seat belt to plug back in so you don’t get a seatbelt warning every time you start up ( or ignore it like I do), And look at the platforms others have built here after a seat delete . Goose gear looks great and fit and finish is top notch, but decide if spending 2k on goose gear vs 150 bucks on diy is a proper application of money that could be used for traveling.

lastly the manual transmission is truly easy to drive, it’s my preference here and would be for an overlander. The bronco has enough electronics, it nice to know I can at least change a clutch if I need to and not rely on yet another computer to decide when I shift ( personal opinion only, no hack on the AT crowd).

my setup is a 2 door 2022 black diamond with SAS . 2.3 with 7mt .I looked for over a year for the right bronco and deal and bought last week. I deleted rear seats ( will be doing diy platform in back). Added net between cargo area and front seats ( till I can properly store/secure all my gear). Added catch can to minimize buildup on valves which is a byproduct of direct injection only engines. Added the auto stop eliminator because I want my engine running when I’m behind the wheel . Flood lights at the a pillars to light up the ditches, and a few duty related items. The work is still ongoing .

in any case , this place is a wellspring of information, and we hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!

Coastalcop

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well that condensed my reply down nicely! Kudos!

it’s from my upbringing , at least I didn’t start with “First there was the atom” lol

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1. 2 door 2.3 plenty of power, scares me if I get aggressive.
2. Simpler. I can identify, and potentially fix most stuff when I open the hood.
3. I have never zeroed the trip computer and it shows 22 mpg using 87 octane over 12000 miles, on Colorado' s mountainous western slope, Utah, NM and Arizona.
4. Better ground clearance without the weird crossmembers.
5. Sounds like a sewing machine. Good? Bad?

Sponsored

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is the information to make the decision on! The engines are both fine.

I'm not a fan of the vacuum boost brakes with the 2.3L. I haven't driven the 2.7L and felt the brakes response.
Do you dislike vacuum power brakes in general or only on the Bronco?

Jason

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This makes the most sense to me. If you plan on "loading up" the Bronco regularly (4 or 5 people, lots of "stuff") I would instantly chose the larger engine. That just makes sense.

If you plan on packing it to the rim and traveling a lot in the mountains get the bigger engine.

If you feel like you're going to regret getting the bigger engine because you have 4 doors and have a lot of stuff and a lot of people, and what were you thinking buying the smaller engine,, get the 2.7L.

But,, if you are getting the 2 door, you're saying, I plan on traveling light, not a lot of people not a ton of crap in the back. Get the 2.3L.

Seems kinda simple really, 2.3L for the 2 door, 2.7L for the 4 door.

I test drove the 2.3L with stick shift in a 4 door with 3 people in it, and it felt low on power and slow to me. But I but if it was a 2 door, it would have felt perfect.
The 4 door weighs about 160 lbs more than the 2 door. Not a huge difference for the power to weight ratio.

Jason

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2. Simpler. I can identify, and potentially fix most stuff when I open the hood.
3. I have never zeroed the trip computer and it shows 22 mpg using 87 octane over 12000 miles, on Colorado' s mountainous western slope, Utah, NM and Arizona.
4. Better ground clearance without the weird crossmembers.
5. Sounds like a sewing machine. Good? Bad?
6. Canister type oil filter, metal oil pan, conventional drain plug.

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, the 4-Door adds about 240 lbs for Black Diamond w 2.3L, compared with 2-Door
( spec sheets below )

The 160 lbs is for the engine -
The 2.7L engine is roughly 160 lbs more than 2.3L
For Black Diamond 2-Door, the 2.7L adds more than 170 lbs ( specs )

2021 Tech Specs p7.jpg

2021 Tech Specs p8.jpg
I looked up the curb weight of 2 and 4 door heritage editions.
Jason

Sponsored

Rodeoman

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond, Sequoia, 2500 hd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s all about the 7 speed manual for me. Can you name a gas powered vehicle that is 4x4, turbo, with a manual transmission? I cant think of any….

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
To put it into perspective, the Bronco with the little 4 banger, is slower than a 3rd gen Toyota Sienna mini-van.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To put it into perspective, the Bronco with the little 4 banger, is slower than a 3rd gen Toyota Sienna mini-van.
What can I say, I'm easily frightened.

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey I think you had the custom plates done for your IAG EZ-steps right ? - wasn't that you - orange custom plates if I remember ?

How are they holding up
Nope, there are many of us Jasons here.

Jason
Sponsored