First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey everyone I recently picked up my big bend a few days ago. Drove it all the way from NY to VT and did not hear this noise. There are no warning lights or errors and the vehicle is running great! But I can't help but notice this slight grinding noise when the vehicle is at idle. Its a really inconsistent noise it comes and goes every few seconds. I have no clue what it is, was gonna take it to dealers soon that have them listen to it/fix it. Do any

of you know what it could be? I'll attach a video and maybe you can hear it as well. Thanks!
Sponsored

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone I recently picked up my big bend a few days ago. Drove it all the way from NY to VT and did not hear this noise. There are no warning lights or errors and the vehicle is running great! But I can't help but notice this slight grinding noise when the vehicle is at idle. Its a really inconsistent noise it comes and goes every few seconds. I have no clue what it is, was gonna take it to dealers soon that have them listen to it/fix it. Do any of you know what it could be? I'll attach a video and maybe you can hear it as well. Thanks!
Is this in neutral with the clutch out? Does it stop when the clutch is in (but still in neutral)?

If so, mine is doing the same and I'm planning to have it looked at.

OP
OP

Buffaloguy

Base
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is this in neutral with the clutch out? Does it stop when the clutch is in (but still in neutral)?

If so, mine is doing the same and I'm planning to have it looked at.
This is in neutral with the clutch out and the car is just idling. If you go before me please keep me updated. When did the noise start for you?

Sponsored

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't have my Bronco yet....that said I've had three Bronco II with manual thru the years...the sound is not entirely unlike noises I have heard with my B2 when I have in neutral and let out the clutch although typically on my B2 it is a more steady noise.

I was thinking throwout bearing and when I looked at the link to the other thread I see an update says the dealer speculated the same thing....

I am not sure how it is the throwout bearing in that case as the bearing actually is loaded when the clutch is pushed in as it holds the plates apart. In neutral with the clutch out the clutch plates are coupled and gears in the trans spin but aren't aren't engaged with the drive shaft. I believe in my B2 why it makes noise is because of those other gears are running like when driving but no road noise. Also because they aren't engaged, there isn't noise so sometimes being free running they are more subject to rattling within the gear backlash and be normal. This is speculative however based on a different vehicle type.

By the way, on my original 88 B2, my throwout bearing failed around 110K miles and I would hear it making noises but when the clutch as pushed in. You could hear it make tink and ding sounds like bearings were missing for maybe 10K miles where one day I heard a clink sound and it stopped making that noise but. if held in longer than a few seconds it would make squealing sounds like it was on bare races. Clutch engagement point moved like it required more movement cause there wasn't the bearings in there anymore. I never got it serviced and got another 80K miles on it by minimizing clutch usage...namely by not using it to disengage gears, never sitting stopped with clutch in and only engaging it for the minimum time to switch into a gear.

Mainer

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Subaru Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe the throw out bearing?
i had a bad throw out bearing that sounded just like that. I don't know why a new throw out bearing would be bad though.
im sure others more knowledgeable can provide more insight.
if Its an issue, I hope You get quick resolution, and good luck.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey everyone I recently picked up my big bend a few days ago. Drove it all the way from NY to VT and did not hear this noise. There are no warning lights or errors and the vehicle is running great! But I can't help but notice this slight grinding noise when the vehicle is at idle. Its a really inconsistent noise it comes and goes every few seconds. I have no clue what it is, was gonna take it to dealers soon that have them listen to it/fix it. Do any

of you know what it could be? I'll attach a video and maybe you can hear it as well. Thanks!
Hello, Cole!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

Impatient

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same, been following the other thread about it. We might need to start our own tracking of similarities. Doesn't seem to be a lot of answers for those that have brought theirs in

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Don't have my Bronco yet....that said I've had three Bronco II with manual thru the years...the sound is not entirely unlike noises I have heard with my B2 when I have in neutral and let out the clutch although typically on my B2 it is a more steady noise.

I was thinking throwout bearing and when I looked at the link to the other thread I see an update says the dealer speculated the same thing....

I am not sure how it is the throwout bearing in that case as the bearing actually is loaded when the clutch is pushed in as it holds the plates apart. In neutral with the clutch out the clutch plates are coupled and gears in the trans spin but aren't aren't engaged with the drive shaft. I believe in my B2 why it makes noise is because of those other gears are running like when driving but no road noise. Also because they aren't engaged, there isn't noise so sometimes being free running they are more subject to rattling within the gear backlash and be normal. This is speculative however based on a different vehicle type.

By the way, on my original 88 B2, my throwout bearing failed around 110K miles and I would hear it making noises but when the clutch as pushed in. You could hear it make tink and ding sounds like bearings were missing for maybe 10K miles where one day I heard a clink sound and it stopped making that noise but. if held in longer than a few seconds it would make squealing sounds like it was on bare races. Clutch engagement point moved like it required more movement cause there wasn't the bearings in there anymore. I never got it serviced and got another 80K miles on it by minimizing clutch usage...namely by not using it to disengage gears, never sitting stopped with clutch in and only engaging it for the minimum time to switch into a gear.
Me too bad or improperly mounted TOB or bad pressure plate. Either way it needs to be looked at before the input shaft gets scored.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Buffaloguy

Base
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Same, been following the other thread about it. We might need to start our own tracking of similarities. Doesn't seem to be a lot of answers for those that have brought theirs in
Yeah I don't see many answers at all about what it could be. Starting a tracking page for this would be ideal because it seems like a real problem for sure as more than a few of us have expressed concern.

Impatient

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I don't see many answers at all about what it could be. Starting a tracking page for this would be ideal because it seems like a real problem for sure as more than a few of us have expressed concern.
I'm going to try and get it looked at soon. I only noticed it a couple times in the first 2 weeks and would go away. Now it's constant the last 3 days.

OP
OP

Buffaloguy

Base
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just to update everyone. I have an appointment at the dealership on February 8th. I have just noticed, when I drive the bronco for about 20-30 minutes and its warm then its back idling in neutral, it doesn't make the noise anymore. Still gonna take it in but it seems to me that this happens in cold weather or just when the bronco is started in cold weather as well. Its been -15 to 8 degrees here the last few weeks. Today its 30 degrees, I started the bronco, heard the noise, drove for about 20 minutes, parked left it in neutral and got out to listen for the noise and it was completely gone.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello, Cole!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!
Hey brand bot. Weā€™re all having this issue in case you didnā€™t read the whole thread.
ty.

dmmjr_gas

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser - Magma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't noticed this noise on my 7MT - yet...
Sponsored