Sponsored

2.3L ecoboost V4 vs 2.7L V6 for towing capabilities ?

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How much weight can I carry vs droop will I get with a hitch mounted cargo carrier? I gotta imagine too much weight will effect the front's handling too.
So hitch weight definitly plays into that and you can see that very easily while just parked and loading up the trailer.

Total weight though plays when you are in motion. Try to stop going down hill for example — all that weight is coming down through the receiver and it will pick up your rear end if you aren’t careful. Trailer brakes and driving carefully all help, but those coilovers in the rear are designed to move so you can move over rocks and stay planted - a trailer will move them just as easily

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First this is not a 2 dr vs 4 dr thread and second the 2.3 has more horsepower and torque than any factory v8 in any generation of Bronco so it will tow just fine within the 6g's tow rating.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So hitch weight definitly plays into that and you can see that very easily while just parked and loading up the trailer.

Total weight though plays when you are in motion. Try to stop going down hill for example — all that weight is coming down through the receiver and it will pick up your rear end if you aren’t careful. Trailer brakes and driving carefully all help, but those coilovers in the rear are designed to move so you can move over rocks and stay planted - a trailer will move them just as easily
I understand, I will be using a hitch mounted cargo carrier for my first time, and I'm going to try to keep the weight down by putting larger, but less dense in weight items on the carrier, stuff that takes up space but weights less; while putting the tool box and cooler and etc. inside, but the overall weight in the back of the Bronco with the cargo carrier is what I'm inquiring about.

Brian is correct, basically I'll be able to see the droop and change in the front's (lift) while loading and parked; but your point on weight transfer while braking, especially downhill is well noted. I was asking more about overall weight AND the effect of a hitch mounted pulling the front up even more, but yea, I'll have to be aware of load transfer and weight distribution over those coil overs.

I might be over thinking it, which is better than not, I don't think I'll overload the carrier and in the past I've packed the cargo area (rear seats down) as full as I could for a 2200 mile trip with no issues in handling.

It's just good to be aware of how a vehicle's handling and braking will change when loaded in different ways and/or towing.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2002 Range Rover had a towing capacity of 6500lbs, but only 222 HP.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
For a body on frame SUV, the only thing I can think of that's been produced in the last 15 years with less than it's piss poor towing capisity would be a 2-door Wranger(?).
Wrangler 2-door has a tow rating of 2000 lbs, all the others except V8 are 3500. Did you overlook the fact both are vehicles with an emphisis on off-road? Hmmm -- maybe you can't think of other body on frame SUVs because they are all full size behemoths. Okay YOU WIN!! The G-wagon is more. Congrats!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For a body on frame SUV, the only thing I can think of that's been produced in the last 15 years with less than it's piss poor towing capisity would be a 2-door Wranger(?).
The SAE J2807 standard has only been used since about 2015 and it's like the horsepower ratings drop in the early 70s. They went frome brake to net, on an SAE standard, using all production belt-druven accessories and other things bolted on. Then, it dropped again for many in 2005 when another SAE standard came out requiring ISO facility and witnessed by a 3rd party among other things.

The 2.3L engine could probably pull 10,000lbs in an F150 with additional/larger trans and oil coolers, but I don't want to try that with a 6g Bronco on the interstate in the Tennessee hills. 😁
(J2807 calls for a dam road in AZ iirc)

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep...Turbos are amazing. You can throw all sorts of weight at them and they just dont car. Either one will work.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The sheet metal crossmember the receiver bolts to is the real limitation to towing capability…

Sponsored
OP
OP

Steve o

Outer Banks
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks '24, 2.3L v6, Auto, HardTop.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thread starter here... Well, i've made my choice. And I'm picking up my new 2024 OuterBanks in Red Chili Peper Red with a 2.7L ecoboost v6. I'll be adding the tow kit myself. As for Forscan programming, I'll need to find a more local dealer to do it. Or I could just buy a ODB2 to USb cable and get the free trial license and do the programming myself. As an IT guy and a maker, how hard could it be. (be nice now. the kids are watching!)

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've towed my 3500lb 5x10 utility trailer between MT and WA over 3 mountain passes and have not felt more power was necessary. Mine is a 2-door Badlands, non Sas, 2.3, Manual. 4th gear up the grade gets it done @60-65mph with plenty of passing power available when needed.
Enclosed box trailer or open utility trailer?
LOL, I pulled a utility trailer that had a big ol' mesh ramp in the back that stood upright when it was stowed.
That thing, empty, bogged down my F250 worse than a loaded car hauler. Much drag in that ramp.

I just started taking the ramp off and laying it flat and strapping it down, then the trailer basically disappeared.

I'd venture to guess that a box trailer pulls a lot harder than the 3000lb boat I towed with the 4dr Badlands, 2.3, auto, 33's.

It pulled it with no issues. Actually, powerwise, it pulled better than the 1/2 ton V8 truck we usually pull it with.

The only difference was the truck is just slightly more stable due to the extra weight and length. NO issues on the hiways, actually, the Bronco was better there. On the smaller twisty back roads, you could just barely feel the boat pushing the Bronco a bit more than it would the truck .... but man, I've been pulling that boat behind trucks since 1997, so I can pick any minute difference.... and it is MINOR.
Ford Bronco 2.3L ecoboost V4 vs 2.7L V6 for towing capabilities ? 1714280513167-6