Sponsored

Has anyone tested the towing capabilities of new Bronco ?

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My f150 oem brakes sucked even towing a small trailer. Upgraded to aftermarket pads & rotors and its night/day. All my towing is through mountain passes 5k-11k elevation and 7% grades. I plan on upgrading the Bronco pads & rotors as well based on my experience with the f150.
my question is how long before there are the upgraded components. i doubt many are proprietary to the bronco, but it is an unknown what will interchange with what. right now the only cross reference i have seen is some wheels for the ranger 4X4 have the same part number as optional wheels for the bronco.

i am sure after more units are released we will be able to figure out interchangeability of similar parts on the market.

the f-150 has a longer wheel base and typically lower center of gravity making the platform a bit more stable for towing. at a 98 inch wheel base and a 116 inch wheel base, the bronco will not have the same inherit stability of the larger platform.
Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
My f150 oem brakes sucked even towing a small trailer. Upgraded to aftermarket pads & rotors and its night/day. All my towing is through mountain passes 5k-11k elevation and 7% grades. I plan on upgrading the Bronco pads & rotors as well based on my experience with the f150.
Yeah, towing in Colorado - the entire Colorado Plateau actually - which includes about 40% of the Four Corner state's geography, you're never less than 5k elevation in a 300 mile radius.

Now that I'm seeing real live Bronco pics I see why it can't do more than 3500lbs to meet J2807 standards. It doesn't have enough cooling. You can upgrade the rear suspension to handle more weight, but the small grille doesn't allow enough airflow to the radiator and intercoolers to stay cool if you try to do too much.

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

some rough comments. I am interested in this discussion as my plans are to tow my 2480 lb travel trailer(empty) and yes I know fully loaded it weighs in at 3097 lbs. I currently tow it with the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL and it works hard even just small hills here in my area. I am expecting better towing and the Bronco to not have to work as hard. I will say just to be very very clear I don not plan on exceeding manufactures recommended towing capacity(saw on forum spreadsheet for my build 3320 lbs). I am getting badlands 4Dr 2.3L auto and have no concerns as currently have ranger with same and it tows up to 7500 very well. I will let it break in and be glad to provide feedback as soon as I get it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
my question is how long before there are the upgraded components. i doubt many are proprietary to the bronco, but it is an unknown what will interchange with what. right now the only cross reference i have seen is some wheels for the ranger 4X4 have the same part number as optional wheels for the bronco.

i am sure after more units are released we will be able to figure out interchangeability of similar parts on the market.

the f-150 has a longer wheel base and typically lower center of gravity making the platform a bit more stable for towing. at a 98 inch wheel base and a 116 inch wheel base, the bronco will not have the same inherit stability of the larger platform.
I dont think it will take long for aftermarket brake products

my f150 has 6” lift and 35s, so it doesn't have low center of gravity.

The 4dr bronco has a longer wheelbase than my wife’s current grand cherokee.

Yeah, towing in Colorado - the entire Colorado Plateau actually - which includes about 40% of the Four Corner state's geography, you're never less than 5k elevation in a 300 mile radius.

Now that I'm seeing real live Bronco pics I see why it can't do more than 3500lbs to meet J2807 standards. It doesn't have enough cooling. You can upgrade the rear suspension to handle more weight, but the small grille doesn't allow enough airflow to the radiator and intercoolers to stay cool if you try to do too much.
reason the ecodiesel gladiator has reduced towing compared to the 3.6. Lack of enough. cooling

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

some rough comments. I am interested in this discussion as my plans are to tow my 2480 lb travel trailer(empty) and yes I know fully loaded it weighs in at 3097 lbs. I currently tow it with the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL and it works hard even just small hills here in my area. I am expecting better towing and the Bronco to not have to work as hard. I will say just to be very very clear I don not plan on exceeding manufactures recommended towing capacity(saw on forum spreadsheet for my build 3320 lbs). I am getting badlands 4Dr 2.3L auto and have no concerns as currently have ranger with same and it tows up to 7500 very well. I will let it break in and be glad to provide feedback as soon as I get it.
the ranger has a different 10 speed transmission last i heard. i forget the specific part number, but there is a heavy duty and a medium duty 10 speed automatic. also if the tow package does not have an auxiliary transmission cooler, it is just a hitch and wiring, not a complete tow package.

the struggling of the 2.3l engine might result in heat soak for the turbo over prolonged towing and boost application, resulting in reduced performance.

Sponsored

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the ranger has a different 10 speed transmission last i heard. i forget the specific part number, but there is a heavy duty and a medium duty 10 speed automatic. also if the tow package does not have an auxiliary transmission cooler, it is just a hitch and wiring, not a complete tow package.

the struggling of the 2.3l engine might result in heat soak for the turbo over prolonged towing and boost application, resulting in reduced performance.
I have towed from Missouri up thru Colorado and back already have 38K no issues with heat soak at all. I guess we shall see want to have positive outlook tired of such Negative perspective.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dont think it will take long for aftermarket brake products

my f150 has 6” lift and 35s, so it doesn't have low center of gravity.

The 4dr bronco has a longer wheelbase than my wife’s current grand cherokee.

the bronco has a higher COG than the grand cherokee. as far as your 6 inch lift on your f-150, it has less stability than a stock height f-150.

if you want to tow something, tow it. this is getting boring. if you want to tow up to the max or beyond go for it. we need more tick toc videos of people cracking up their rides.

why do people ask for advice or input if they already know the answers.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have towed from Missouri up thru Colorado and back already have 38K no issues with heat soak at all. I guess we shall see want to have positive outlook tired of such Negative perspective.
38k on a bronco? how did it do through it's warranty period?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The numbers are 10R80 (Ranger) and 10R60 (Bronco). For reference, the Explorer also has the 10R60 and it is good for higher GCWR and higher tow cap than the Bronco, and that is without an auxiliary transmission cooler either. Documentation attached.
38k on a bronco? how did it do through it's warranty period?
I think he meant on a Ranger, since you were talking about it.

Attachments

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would still really like to hear them confirm what they tried testing, and to either verify or dispute hypotheses like this. I think the most frustrating thing so far has been their lack of explanation beyond "just because"

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The numbers are 10R80 (Ranger) and 10R60 (Bronco). For reference, the Explorer also has the 10R60 and it is good for higher GCWR and higher tow cap than the Bronco, and that is without an auxiliary transmission cooler either. Documentation attached.

I think he meant on a Ranger, since you were talking about it.
how you roll is your business. good luck and enjoy your vehicle.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would still really like to hear them confirm what they tried testing, and to either verify or dispute hypotheses like this. I think the most frustrating thing so far has been their lack of explanation beyond "just because"
Agreed. Probably their market surveys showed towability was way down on the list of wants from prospective buyers. In the discussions we've had I was focused on the rear suspension and ClassII hitch being the limiting factors, but those that said cooling, I'm seeing that now.

Look at these comparison pics Bronco vs 4Runner 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

No way the Bronco can get enough air through the small grille to tow 5k lbs while AC is on and with turbo intercoolers.

Last edited:

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sure wasn't the early 2000's when they started using SAE J2807 it was more like 2016 before the big three got on board with their trucks.

If the Bronco had of been revealed before SAE J2807 it might have had a rating of 5000 lbs. I say put a heavier hitch on it and see how it handles. You can alway add Timbrens or air bags if needed
Does this explain why a 4Runner has a tow rating of 5000 lbs. when it has a shorter wheelbase of 109.8", weaker engine at 207hp. lower torque at 278 ft/lbs, and a very similar rear suspension without leafsprings?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All I know for sure is that my Ecoboost 3.5 in my 2011 F-150 has no problem towing up it's maximum trailer weight (11,200 pounds) a 6% grade at whatever speed I am brave enough to try, even with a 24 foot enclosed trailer and is equally good going down the same grade with whatever weight under it's max I am towing (I-8/I-10) California to Texas. My 2 door 2.7 v6 Bronco will never have that kind of capability, but certainly with some mods, it would easily be able to tow 5,000# (even if not officially certified for it). It is nearly identical to the ranger in every way save spring rate and shocks.