Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After smelling burning oil on Thursday, I crawled under the vehicle and there is oil in multiple locations on the bottom of the engine and transmission. It is not coming from the drain plug or oil filter. I called the dealer on Monday and they cannot look at until Monday the 27th. I have cleaned it off three times now, so it is definitely a leak from somewhere and not spillage.

So sad.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Leaking Oil after 1,000 miles image0

Ford Bronco 2.3L Leaking Oil after 1,000 miles image1

Ford Bronco 2.3L Leaking Oil after 1,000 miles image2

Ford Bronco 2.3L Leaking Oil after 1,000 miles image3
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you confirmed engine oil vs transmission fluid, then it is possibly the rear main seal. For other inline engines, a valve cover gasket leak near the firewall can works it way down to drip from the back of the engine.

Just theory crafting. Good luck.

OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you confirmed engine oil vs transmission fluid, then it is possibly the rear main seal. For other inline engines, a valve cover gasket leak near the firewall can works it way down to drip from the back of the engine.

Just theory crafting. Good luck.
Thanks. Rear main seal sounds plausible.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Keeping an eye on it and your oil level should get you to your appointment with the dealer. Is it a manual? That is the only thing that leaking main seals cause other issues, but that usually takes a little time. For an auto, it's just messy and leaves drops for the environment. Otherwise it's rust proofing for the body. At least that is what I used to tell myself when my vehicles leaked oil in the past.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Keeping an eye on it and your oil level should get you to your appointment with the dealer. Is it a manual? That is the only thing that leaking main seals cause other issues, but that usually takes a little time. For an auto, it's just messy and leaves drops for the environment. Otherwise it's rust proofing for the body. At least that is what I used to tell myself when my vehicles leaked oil in the past.
It's an auto. It's just really disappointing to have something like this happen in within the first two weeks of purchase.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's an auto. It's just really disappointing to have something like this happen in within the first two weeks of purchase.
I hear you. Fixable but a pain. At least you have the use of it until repair time, but a pain none the less.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After smelling burning oil on Thursday, I crawled under the vehicle and there is oil in multiple locations on the bottom of the engine and transmission. It is not coming from the drain plug or oil filter. I called the dealer on Monday and they cannot look at until Monday the 27th. I have cleaned it off three times now, so it is definitely a leak from somewhere and not spillage.

So sad.
Hey there. Could you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to see what I can do to assist with your Bronco's oil leak.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lol gotta love the PM me your VIN posts. There has to be some backdoor benefit Ford gets from these (aka data collection for all their "quality" work) because it sure isn't customer service.

Is the Ford app going to tell them where the oil leak is coming from?

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good Lord. It's pretty obvious the rear crank seal developed a leak. A minor issue and rare with a new engine...
I know it sucks to find imperfections in a brand new vehicle, but it happens to every mechanical device known to man. Hell, a damned o-ring that someone bungled blew up a space shuttle and killed all aboard. Nothing is impervious to bad quality. Auto workers are just like any other occupation. Look around your own place of employment. Does everyone there do perfect work? Do they ever ship marginal products that are borderline QC?

To the OP, I hope you get it figured out and repaired quickly.

Sponsored

MyMaria

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2.3 auto big ben was leaking motor oil after two weeks. Turned out to b a bad install of the oil filter. Took it to local ford dealer. It was replaced and topped off. Good luck w your bronco.

OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lol gotta love the PM me your VIN posts. There has to be some backdoor benefit Ford gets from these (aka data collection for all their "quality" work) because it sure isn't customer service.

Is the Ford app going to tell them where the oil leak is coming from?
I am sure they are just trying to help. I appreciate the effort on the part of Ford.

OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know it sucks to find imperfections in a brand new vehicle, but it happens to every mechanical device known to man. Hell, a damned o-ring that someone bungled blew up a space shuttle and killed all aboard. Nothing is impervious to bad quality. Auto workers are just like any other occupation. Look around your own place of employment. Does everyone there do perfect work? Do they ever ship marginal products that are borderline QC?

To the OP, I hope you get it figured out and repaired quickly.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Big Rig

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

UPDATE

I showed up to my appointment with the dealer on Monday morning (6/27/2022), and they told me that they are very backed up with service and it could be 3-5 days before they could diagnose the problem.

I told them my schedule is flexible and I could bring the vehicle back on a different day when they will have more time. They told they couldn’t plan that way and just don’t know how many vehicles they can get through in a day. I needed to leave the vehicle with them until they could get to it. Unbelievable.

It's very poor business practice to make appointments with no intent of looking at the vehicle on the day of the appointment. What’s the point of making an appointment if it doesn’t guarantee they will look at your vehicle that day? I hope they straighten out their problems or they will find themselves without any customers.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
UPDATE

I showed up to my appointment with the dealer on Monday morning (6/27/2022), and they told me that they are very backed up with service and it could be 3-5 days before they could diagnose the problem.

I told them my schedule is flexible and I could bring the vehicle back on a different day when they will have more time. They told they couldn’t plan that way and just don’t know how many vehicles they can get through in a day. I needed to leave the vehicle with them until they could get to it. Unbelievable.

It's very poor business practice to make appointments with no intent of looking at the vehicle on the day of the appointment. What’s the point of making an appointment if it doesn’t guarantee they will look at your vehicle that day? I hope they straighten out their problems or they will find themselves without any customers.
that would annoy me too, i hate leaving my vehicle at the dealer longer than i'd have to. biggest fear is damage and knowing how techs sometimes treat other people's vehicles. i watched a RAM tech peel-out in my 1500 one time because "he liked how my exhaust sounded". i flipped at them there lol
Sponsored