Sponsored

Bad Turbocharger After 70 Miles (2.3L Manual)

DDGator

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend 4-door Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Guess I might take it in locally to have it scanned and see if they can't somehow document it for history's sake...
Personally, I would recommend this. My service notes state that the error codes were confirmed. They cleared the codes and tested everything. If this problem re-surfaces at least I have a record of when it started -- with just 60 miles.

Hopefully neither of us will ever have to think about this again.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been driving turbo diesel trucks since 1997, and turbos fail folks. I've mentioned here before that for every "part failure" thread, there's thousands of folks with that same part that didn't fail that didn't make a thread saying "2.3l turbo still good after 70 miles". I'm not making light of the OP's situation whatsoever, that's frustrating and sucks, but everyone needs to keep parts failures in perspective.

Last edited:

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who is the maker of these turbo's.
This is about all I could find, not sure if this is across the board for the 2.3L Ecoboosts, or if they change with vehicle applications across Fords models lineup;

Inline-4 2.3L Ecoboost: Honeywell Garrett Twin scroll MGT2260SZ

2.7L V6 Ecoboost: Dual Borg Warner K03 low inertia integrated turbo system

I-4 2.0L Ecoboost: Borg Warner K03 low inertia integrated turbo system

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been driving turbo diesel trucks since 1997, and turbos fail folks. I've mentioned here before that for every "part failure" thread, there's thousands of folks with that same part that didn't fail that didn't make a thread saying "2.3l turbo still good after 70 miles". I'm not making light of the OP's situation whatsoever, that's frustrating and sucks, but everyone needs to keep parts failures in perspective.
...I'm sorry; are we somehow not doing that?

Conversely, not disclosing our experiences because the majority are trouble -free also feels problematic...

Sponsored

DebbieEF

Black Diamond
First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang and F250 SD truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello all. First time poster. I've been reading these boards for well over a year and have learned a lot. I appreciate all of the folks that contribute views and advice.

So after a long wait, I signed the paperwork last week on my 2.3L manual base (with upgraded wheels from a Big Bend). I was so excited to be driving home on the interstate from the dealershipā€¦ until the check engine light came on after 70 miles. It pained me to drive it back to the dealership in less than 24 hours.

The verdict: bad turbocharger (wastegate motor bad). Now driving a dealership loaner and on day five waiting to hear back. Apparently, there are no spare parts in the system to correct the problem, so who knows how long this will go on.

To add to the misery, Ford keeps emailing me surveys asking about my recent experience. I finally called Ford customer service to relay my experience firsthand. They promised to call me back, but no response after four days.

Bronco2.png
I had the same thing happen on my 2.3 autotransmission Black Diamond as I was driving it home on February 25. At 60 miles, the service engine soon light and then a wrench symbol came on. My dealer was not able to get it fixed until March 15 after a first appointment available March 3 to take it in for service diagnosis, then them ordering the parts and scheduling me for service again for the repair. The turbo had the wastegate stuck closed, and they replaced it. All if fine now, but disappointed to have the Bronco sit around for so long waiting for repair.

Turbo NY

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 outlander/ 1996 eclipse GS-T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine went in on Monday after having to wait and found out today same issue, wastegste in closed position.. truck had 70 miles on her when code threw.. waiting on parts nowā€¦

TheCaseyD

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Turbo NY did you ever get an update?

Ford has had mine for a week now and no status on when the part will arrive.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some parts fail more than others, maybe these turbos are doing that. Who knows?
Only Ford

Turbo NY

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Turbo NY did you ever get an update?

Ford has had mine for a week now and no status on when the part will arrive.
I didā€¦ I was told they put a rush on it and ford is monitoring but still minimum 2 weeks let alone itā€™s already been in for 2 weeks prior ..: Iā€™m at a month right nowā€¦ spent longer at dealer than in my driveway

Sponsored

TheCaseyD

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didā€¦ I was told they put a rush on it and ford is monitoring but still minimum 2 weeks let alone itā€™s already been in for 2 weeks prior ..: Iā€™m at a month right nowā€¦ spent longer at dealer than in my driveway
So disappointing. Sorry to hear that. Doesnā€™t seem like FMC or the dealership is all that sympathetic or motivated to make this right.

Turbo NY

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So disappointing. Sorry to hear that. Doesnā€™t seem like FMC or the dealership is all that sympathetic or motivated to make this right.
it is but seems like turbo issues affect the new tundra tooā€¦well they know about it but I still find it funny that all the free trial subscriptions are all being wasted to while it just sits and waits ā€¦. Hopefully FMC will rectify this especially first time Ford purchase

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the ones on here where the code came up then went away, it could just be the electronics acting up on a first year vehicle, too.

When I first drove a Bronco with 2k miles on the clock, not too long after I floored it up a hill and tried out the donut mode, the check brake system warning came up with seemingly no other symptoms. Before it could make it to its dealership appt, the code just disappeared and all was well.

recently when I went to install some ditch lights, I didnā€™t fully tighten the factory ground location that I tapped into before turning on the bronco accessory mode to test em out. That little ground caused basically every warning and light to pop on the bronco til it was tightened down properly. Talking check engine, battery, braking, pump, and alot moreā€¦ even made some weird knock noises and had some fans kick on that Iā€™ve never heard beforešŸ¤£

moral of the story, check your grounds before you hit the start button

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been having what seems to be sluggish power and difficult time holding speed on the highway. I was pulling my enclosed trailer (1500lbs), 130 miles no issues. On the way back (900lbs) just over 55 mph the truck would just dog down and shake, like a slightly out of balance tire. Step into the gas and it would go away a little, then when the rpms get back down to 1600or so it starts again. No change when in sport mode or eco, same issues. For a couple weeks now, I've noticed what sounds to be bad bearings when accelerating from stop. Don't know if that noise is the injectors or something else. No codes, no lights.
Sponsored