Sponsored

Bad Turbocharger After 70 Miles (2.3L Manual)

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello all. First time poster. I've been reading these boards for well over a year and have learned a lot. I appreciate all of the folks that contribute views and advice.

So after a long wait, I signed the paperwork last week on my 2.3L manual base (with upgraded wheels from a Big Bend). I was so excited to be driving home on the interstate from the dealership… until the check engine light came on after 70 miles. It pained me to drive it back to the dealership in less than 24 hours.

The verdict: bad turbocharger (wastegate motor bad). Now driving a dealership loaner and on day five waiting to hear back. Apparently, there are no spare parts in the system to correct the problem, so who knows how long this will go on.

To add to the misery, Ford keeps emailing me surveys asking about my recent experience. I finally called Ford customer service to relay my experience firsthand. They promised to call me back, but no response after four days.

Bronco2.png
Sponsored

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean Ford customer service told you something to get you off the phone sooner? WHAT?!?! The amount of times I've been bounced around and hung up on by Ford customer service is staggering.

Hopefully you get a resolution via your dealership soon! That sucks. The 2.3L is a common enough engine - you'd think they would be able to source parts pretty quickly.

70&22bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Fallon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello all. First time poster. I've been reading these boards for well over a year and have learned a lot. I appreciate all of the folks that contribute views and advice.

So after a long wait, I signed the paperwork last week on my 2.3L manual base (with upgraded wheels from a Big Bend). I was so excited to be driving home on the interstate from the dealership… until the check engine light came on after 70 miles. It pained me to drive it back to the dealership in less than 24 hours.

The verdict: bad turbocharger (wastegate motor bad). Now driving a dealership loaner and on day five waiting to hear back. Apparently, there are no spare parts in the system to correct the problem, so who knows how long this will go on.

To add to the misery, Ford keeps emailing me surveys asking about my recent experience. I finally called Ford customer service to relay my experience firsthand. They promised to call me back, but no response after four days.

Ford Bronco Bad Turbocharger After 70 Miles (2.3L Manual) Bronco2
That is heartbreaking!! 💔 Sorry to hear that. I’ve got a 2.3 on order. I hope they get the needed parts soon to get you back on the road in your Bronco!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

makes me wonder who's making the turbos for the 2.3's and 2.7's, (probably BorgWarner?) as I've heard anecdotally from some friends that the new tundras are chucking wastegates like crazy on the new engines in that platform.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

makes me wonder who's making the turbos for the 2.3's and 2.7's, (probably BorgWarner?) as I've heard anecdotally from some friends that the new tundras are chucking wastegates like crazy on the new engines in that platform.
My guess is either B-W or Honeywell.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for your bad luck. Lean on the Ford customer hotline. Ask for expedited parts to repair and an extended warranty. All they can say is no.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That blows, sorry to hear that

could a Focus RS or Mustang EB HPP work?

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What a bummer... I've also heard a lot about the new Tundra TT V6 blowing wastegates left and right. Wonder if Ford is using the same manufacturer.

echance01

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wondering if we are having the same problem. Went to pick up my 2.3 MT Bronco BD on Friday, signed all the paperwork, was on the way home and 2 miles in (29 miles total on the Bronco) it felt like it wasn't getting any power when stepping on the gas pedal. Had to limp to back to the dealership. Tech drove it, same problem, check engine light came on and got an alert on the FordPass app "The Engine Control System is unable to control the fuel system pressure as expected". Dealer said it was a bad high pressure fuel pump on Monday, replaced it today and the problem is still there. We are back to square one.

Have you gotten any updates? Did replacing the turbo fix it?

OP
OP
BamaBronco98

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been meaning to provide an update today. I got my Bronco back yesterday from the dealership. It ended up being a bad wastegate on the turbocharger (stuck in the closed position). They ended up ordering a new turbocharger and it took them 3-4 days to install (11 days total). They had to remove the front passenger wheel and some other things to gain access.

The night it happened, I hooked up my ODB2 code reader and it read a P25B4, which turned out to be the exact problem. It was very sluggish, as you can imagine. My Bronco showed the error in the attached picture (the blurry one), and the FordPass app also showed a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" error.

Never heard back from Ford customer service BTW, despite multiple calls (shocker, I know).

All is well today. I put about 100 interstate and city miles on it and it drives like it should. I am very pleased with the 2.3l manual. It has plenty of power, and a correctly functioning turbobooster gives more than enough punch when you need it.

20220302_195807.jpg

Screenshot_20220304-064710_FordPass.jpg

20220302_182828.jpg

Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the update, glad you got your ride back, hope everything is smooth sailing for now on for you! 🍻

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like I'm in the same boat with 70 mi...
Oh no, that ain't good. I hope these turbo problems are few, and doesn't turn out like the 2.7L dropped valves. Good luck, I hope you're back on the road soon.

DDGator

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend 4-door Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had the same type of problem. With 61 miles (on the interstate on the way home), I got the Service Engine Soon along with the Reduced Power messages. Definitely was doggy at highway speeds. When I turned the car off at home the service light went out and never came back, but I took it in anyway.

Dealer today confirmed the code was for a stuck closed wastegate. However, the problem seems to have resolved itself. They cleared the codes, ran the full battery of tests, and test-drove the car. All seems to be fine for now. No parts replaced.

We will see...

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had the same type of problem. With 61 miles (on the interstate on the way home), I got the Service Engine Soon along with the Reduced Power messages. Definitely was doggy at highway speeds. When I turned the car off at home the service light went out and never came back, but I took it in anyway.

Dealer today confirmed the code was for a stuck closed wastegate. However, the problem seems to have resolved itself. They cleared the codes, ran the full battery of tests, and test-drove the car. All seems to be fine for now. No parts replaced.

We will see...
Wow. I could have written this myself.

CEL came on during my drive home from selling dealership after delivery...roughly 40 miles on the clock. Boost was severely cut back; 4-5 lbs at most?

Fired the Bronco up several times over the next 2-3 days - CEL still there; boost still capped.
Made arrangements with selling dealer to drop vehicle off for inspection...but fired it up to drive there, and the code was cleared. Started driving...full boost available. Kept driving (got 3/4 of the way to dealer) and it was perfectly fine.

I wound up putting on about 80-100 miles that day - engine performed flawlessly. Not sure what to do, especially since I know if I'd taken it there they would have dismissed me as a fluke case. Guess I might take it in locally to have it scanned and see if they can't somehow document it for history's sake...
Sponsored