Sponsored

Bad Turbocharger After 70 Miles (2.3L Manual)

Glens 67

Badlands
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 4X4, 1968 F350 Caveman motorhome.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been having what seems to be sluggish power and difficult time holding speed on the highway. I was pulling my enclosed trailer (1500lbs), 130 miles no issues. On the way back (900lbs) just over 55 mph the truck would just dog down and shake, like a slightly out of balance tire. Step into the gas and it would go away a little, then when the rpms get back down to 1600or so it starts again. No change when in sport mode or eco, same issues. For a couple weeks now, I've noticed what sounds to be bad bearings when accelerating from stop. Don't know if that noise is the injectors or something else. No codes, no lights.
check your torque on your Bronco and trailer lug nuts...
Sponsored

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a similar problem this month ("Service Engine Soon" and Reduced Power Mode) happen on my 2.3L manual, but I'm at 4500 miles and 8 months of ownership. In reduced power mode it takes about 60 seconds to get up to 50 MPH and boost stayed at 0.

When I got home I found this and another similar thread where people are getting turbos replaced at 70 miles so I feared the worst. While in the garage I wiggled the waste gate arm back and forth, it seemed fine. When I started up the car to move it back to the side of the garage the codes were gone and I went around the block and everything was fine. I never got a chance to read the OBD code. A week later I was on my first drive longer than a couple miles and it happened again. I was almost to my destination so I just limped into the parking lot and ignored it. When I left a couple hours later the code was gone again.

I have resisted taking into the dealer because I figure without an active check engine lamp they are not likely to do anything. It's been trouble free for two weeks now but I've promised myself that next time it happens I'm driving it straight to the dealer without turning it off so they can deal with it then.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been driving turbo diesel trucks since 1997, and turbos fail folks. I've mentioned here before that for every "part failure" thread, there's thousands of folks with that same part that didn't fail that didn't make a thread saying "2.3l turbo still good after 70 miles". I'm not making light of the OP's situation whatsoever, that's frustrating and sucks, but everyone needs to keep parts failures in perspective.
If it has tires or a turbo, it will give you trouble!

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it has tires or a turbo, it will give you trouble!
Knock on wood, but I've only had trouble with tires lol. Turbos in our Ford pick ups, combines, tractors have all been trouble free over the last 20+ years. Hopefully the ecoboost turbos will do the same lol.

GoPre

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They’re replacing my turbo at 80 miles in my mansquatch badlands. Hopefully this is a one time fix.

Sponsored

dog_bus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi everyone. I just purchased a '22 Outbanks 4 door - 2.3L on Monday night and yesterday I got the same error messages, etc about the wastegate being stuck closed. I dropped it off at the dealership this afternoon and haven't heard back yet, but I'm assuming I'm now going to need a new turbo.

For those of you who have had it replaced and gotten your Bronco back, has everything been fine since?

Are any of you still waiting or have any updates on the backorder?

Thanks!

HammerNQuill

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Liberty Latitude
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Happened to me, today. 2.7 with ProCal4 tune. Drove about 180miles yesterday, with about 2.2k in odo., and about 3 miles from destination, "service soon" wrench light comes on, and then check engine follows.

Did not notice drop in power, although turbos only hit 4-10psi when called upon. OBD reads turbo waste gate error like you guys mentioned.

Letting the vehicle rest overnight and plan on starting in 2-wheel Sport Mode tomorrow to see of the code clears on its own.

If it won't clear, I don't know if I should revert to stock profile with ProCal before taking it in. We're a few hours from home and ProCal device not with me, so I'm hesitant to take it in to a local dealership with the performance tune giving them a reason to weasel out of fixing the turbo. Any advice?

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Happened to me, today. 2.7 with ProCal4 tune. Drove about 180miles yesterday, with about 2.2k in odo., and about 3 miles from destination, "service soon" wrench light comes on, and then check engine follows.

Did not notice drop in power, although turbos only hit 4-10psi when called upon. OBD reads turbo waste gate error like you guys mentioned.

Letting the vehicle rest overnight and plan on starting in 2-wheel Sport Mode tomorrow to see of the code clears on its own.

If it won't clear, I don't know if I should revert to stock profile with ProCal before taking it in. We're a few hours from home and ProCal device not with me, so I'm hesitant to take it in to a local dealership with the performance tune giving them a reason to weasel out of fixing the turbo. Any advice?
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored