joenewms81

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a '23 OBX nonSAS scheduled for build week of 6/5/23, and I've been going back and forth on what lift to go with. It will be my wife's daily driver and see dirt maybe 5% of its life if that.

2" spacer is probably fine, but in some pics 35's look too tucked for me. However, the 3.5" and 4" lifts seem like maybe there is too much fender gap with 35's at times as well. (I know Goldilocks complex)

My question is, those are my only options for a nonSAS OBX correct? I've searched Custom Offsets site 100+ times and there are multiple Broncos that claim they have the RC 2.5" lift that are clearly nonSAS Broncos. The RC 2.5" only fits SAS Broncos correct? That lift doesn't fit a nonSAS OBX.

I know I could go with Bilstein 5100 and set them high to get around 2.5". Seems like UCA's would be needed once you go above 2" though. Anyone with experience going this route?
Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stock UCA will be just fine with whatever lift you are considering. Find yourself some Sasquatch take-offs and install the perch collars for a budget lift. The ride quality of the Bilstein's vs. the Hitachi's with pucks is night and day.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The stock UCA will be just fine with whatever lift you are considering. Find yourself some Sasquatch take-offs and install the perch collars for a budget lift. The ride quality of the Bilstein's vs. the Hitachi's with pucks is night and day.

Agreed, but only because he once had an 86 IROC.

Seriously though, I would add that you should know the consequences of adding a spacer lift that is too large (essentially increasing the effective shock length). What is too large? @AccuTune Offroad has some good data. Also some thoughts on this are compiled on this link.

Similar to other vehicles we work on, this type of thing is often overlooked or dismissed for looks vs performance. We like to lean on the safe side and not push the limits of these OEM fit shocks. I will be adding more specs to our current articles and making new ones on our website about Bronco shocks in the near future. We will have max recommended shocks lengths at ride height etc. Coming soon!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tension-limits-for-stock-configuration.73917/

A spacer lift is definitely the least expensive option, but beware of cheap hardware. See thread by @Tricky Dick

The bilsteins offer an adjustable spring compression lift which is probably better for your use case and a big improvement over the stock hitachis. They are shocks only, and require reuse of stock springs and hardware. I have the 6100s with SAS springs but the 5100s are great too. Much better ride than stock, off course this is very subjective. They have digressive valving, not sure what the stock hitachis have for comparison. @Snacktime has a good thread on the 5100s.

I only mention the digressive valving in case you are not aware. If so do some research so you know what you are getting into and are not surprised.

Only reason to get the 6100s is to dissipate more heat during longer time intervals when pushing the shocks. The 6100s have a larger diameter so the working fluid has a larger volume. This is probably not necessary for most use cases. Some day soon I would like to test that out.

OP
OP

joenewms81

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agreed, but only because he once had an 86 IROC.

Seriously though, I would add that you should know the consequences of adding a spacer lift that is too large (essentially increasing the effective shock length). What is too large? @AccuTune Offroad has some good data. Also some thoughts on this are compiled on this link.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tension-limits-for-stock-configuration.73917/

A spacer lift is definitely the least expensive option, but beware of cheap hardware. See thread by @Tricky Dick

The bilsteins offer an adjustable spring compression lift which is probably better for your use case and a big improvement over the stock hitachis. They are shocks only, and require reuse of stock springs and hardware. I have the 6100s with SAS springs but the 5100s are great too. Much better ride than stock, off course this is very subjective. They have digressive valving, not sure what the stock hitachis have for comparison. @Snacktime has a good thread on the 5100s.

I only mention the digressive valving in case you are not aware. If so do some research so you know what you are getting into and are not surprised.

Only reason to get the 6100s is to dissipate more heat during longer time intervals when pushing the shocks. The 6100s have a larger diameter so the working fluid has a larger volume. This is probably not necessary for most use cases. Some day soon I would like to test that out.
Appreciate the detailed and thorough response.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a '23 OBX nonSAS scheduled for build week of 6/5/23, and I've been going back and forth on what lift to go with. It will be my wife's daily driver and see dirt maybe 5% of its life if that.

2" spacer is probably fine, but in some pics 35's look too tucked for me. However, the 3.5" and 4" lifts seem like maybe there is too much fender gap with 35's at times as well. (I know Goldilocks complex)

My question is, those are my only options for a nonSAS OBX correct? I've searched Custom Offsets site 100+ times and there are multiple Broncos that claim they have the RC 2.5" lift that are clearly nonSAS Broncos. The RC 2.5" only fits SAS Broncos correct? That lift doesn't fit a nonSAS OBX.

I know I could go with Bilstein 5100 and set them high to get around 2.5". Seems like UCA's would be needed once you go above 2" though. Anyone with experience going this route?
Below is a link to a video of a 3.5" lift install. In my opinion the lift was too high for 35" tires. The Bronco seems perched a bit too high up for the tires and wheelwell gap/space. (And I don't think it's the ticket for pavement use.)

I've seen some non-Sas Broncos lately with the stock 31" or so tires, I'd probably start out with that for a while, especially if your wife will be driving mostly on pavement.

Sponsored
OP
OP

joenewms81

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I appreciate everyone's input.

My initial question still stands, is a 2" puck leveling kit and a 3.5"-4" or even a 5" lift kit my only options for a nonSAS OBX? I don't see any 2.5" or 3" lift kits for nonSAS Broncos. The 2.5" and 3" kits are all for SAS Broncos. It seems like a 2.5-3" would be the perfect height for 35's, just the right amount of fender gap.

Fortydegnorth

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 4dr, 2023 Big Bend 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bilstein 5100 go up to 2.5-3” with the use of your stock springs. $650 or less, depends where you purchase.

IMG_3498.jpeg

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate everyone's input.

My initial question still stands, is a 2" puck leveling kit and a 3.5"-4" or even a 5" lift kit my only options for a nonSAS OBX? I don't see any 2.5" or 3" lift kits for nonSAS Broncos. The 2.5" and 3" kits are all for SAS Broncos. It seems like a 2.5-3" would be the perfect height for 35's, just the right amount of fender gap.
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I bet you could install a 2" puck lift, along with some combo of flat spacers from a 1" leveling kit ($50 or so), to get the exact 2.5" or so lift you want.

Keeping in mind when some of these lift kits say 2" or whatever, they don't necessarily mean exactly that. In some cases it's more lift in front compared to back. Can get kind ot tricky figuring it out, unless the manufacturer specifies exact front and back lift.

OP
OP

joenewms81

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Below is a link to a video of a 3.5" lift install. In my opinion the lift was too high for 35" tires. The Bronco seems perched a bit too high up for the tires and wheelwell gap/space. (And I don't think it's the ticket for pavement use.)

I've seen some non-Sas Broncos lately with the stock 31" or so tires, I'd probably start out with that for a while, especially if your wife will be driving mostly on pavement.

I've watched that video before and 100% agree, that is one of the instances that 3.5" looks too big for 35's.

But then take a look at the @Maxlider_Bothers_Customs Bronco with a 4" lift and 35's and it looks perfect. I don't know if its a 2 door vs 4 door thing, but this thing is sexy
Ford Bronco 2.5" Lift Question Maxlider Bros. Clydesdale II 2021 Bronco build 3

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ran a spacer lift, 5100 Bilsteins and a combination of the two. I would spend $500 on 5100s absolutely worth the extra dampening with 35in tires. I think the extra $200-300 over a spacer kit is worth it since you won't get a whole lot of miles out of the Hitachi shocks with big tires.

Sponsored

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go with Sasquatch take off suspension. This is a 1.3” lift over your current suspension. It will handle better and not ride too high.

You will not need new upper control arms.

35s will fit great just as a factory Sasquatch Bronco.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
5100s all day. Not even a question vs spacer lift.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bilstein 5100 go up to 2.5-3” with the use of your stock springs. $650 or less, depends where you purchase.

Ford Bronco 2.5" Lift Question Maxlider Bros. Clydesdale II 2021 Bronco build 3
Good info here. Personal opinion: I'd stick with 2" or less, fewer unintended consequences.
Sponsored