First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why is the 2.7 a constraint but the 2.3 is readily available? Did they not think people would want the bigger motor? Sourced differently? Just curious
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It may have something to do with the electronics. The F150s are awaiting chipsets for their engines as well. Perhaps Ford had enough 2.3s to cover orders…

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It may have something to do with the electronics. The F150s are awaiting chipsets for their engines as well. Perhaps Ford had enough 2.3s to cover orders…
Plus, there were more 2.7L orders than Ford anticipated for the Bronco. I guess they can only build so many on a given day, and that number has to be divided among all Ford vehicles that use the engine.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why is the 2.7 a constraint but the 2.3 is readily available? Did they not think people would want the bigger motor? Sourced differently? Just curious
It hasn't been a constraint for several months....since they reduced capacity to the limit of how many soft tops were available, and now to the limit of how many total tops are available.

OP
OP

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It hasn't been a constraint for several months....since they reduced capacity to the limit of how many soft tops were available, and now to the limit of how many total tops are available.
I would assume it’s still a constraint with the fact it’s on the dealers do not order list in filling out the 21 dealer builds

Sponsored

mljohnson1973

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just got a November build date, that hopefully will stay that way. LoL, in this last round on a 2.7 and I saw a bunch more. With all the breaks in actually building them the past few months. I'd assume they had time to stock up some of those "constrained" parts.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would assume it’s still a constraint with the fact it’s on the dealers do not order list in filling out the 21 dealer builds
No, it hasn’t been for several months. A bigger surplus of 2.3s that they want to go to stock builds, doesn’t mean the 2.7 has been constrained. It hasn’t been for a while.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They want them to go to customer orders. Pretty much everyone in my build week group on here, if not all of us, got the 2.7. Lots of fully loaded Brocons coming off the line these days. I think the only constraint is the hard top.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both engines are existing engines that have other major demands. The 2.7 is used in the F-150 and is more or less the default engine. The 2.3 is used in the mustang. Mustang sales are way down, so lots of 2.3s are available. Meanwhile F-150s are parked in lots that make Dirt Mt. look tiny waiting for engine and body control modules.

However, as others have said, the engine has not really been a constraint for a while. It's all hard top all the time really.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Why did they only make the 2.7 available with the automatic?" is a better question, IMO.

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
"Why did they only make the 2.7 available with the automatic?" is a better question, IMO.
It more than likely exceeds the torque rating of the manual transmission (probably due to the crawler gear)

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a dual purpose for that “do-not-build” list: (1) conserve scarce commodities, and (2) don’t build high-spec dealer stock before retail special orders, because it will only piss off customer waiting for their deliveries.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because they would have to re-design the bell housing to mate with the manual transmission.

Last edited:

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 has never had a MT in any vehicle it has come in. The 2.3 has a MT in the mustang and the focus. Ford was just using engine options it already has for other vehicles.
Sponsored