Sponsored

Manual or the 2.7

Who’s going to get their Bronco with a manual transmission?

• Manual

• Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love manual transmissions, but when mountain traffic slows to stop and go, I much prefer an automatic.

There's also a concern of if I get injured and a friend has to drive my truck, not too many people I know can drive a stick. (This actually happened to me the other day...)

The side benefit there is also being able to go with the 2.7.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have always driven a manual. As a bonus, it’s the millennial anti-theft device. I wish the 2.7 came in a manual. That would be my choice.
I think there would be more people opting for the manual if you could get it with the 2.7L. Which is a shame since the Wranglers manual are an option with their V6 instead of their base engine. Maybe Jeep will pick up those customers from Ford that wanted the bigger engine with manual

Sponsored

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it's good that Ford gave us the 2.7L V6 from the F-150 and is the most popular engine option but how much of that can be explained that its the base engine. Yes there's other options but they obviously add more to the cost of the truck. Would that engine be as popular or purchased if it wasn't the base engine option?

Also could you imagine Ford giving the Bronco a V8 if the next gen Raptor gets one? Also with Jeep possibly putting a V8 in the Wrangler, would Ford respond with a V8 or just one of their larger V6's?
The base engine in the F-150 is the 3.3 naturally aspirated V6. Not the 2.7. I think it's a $995 upgrade to the 2.7? Well worth the money though.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The base engine in the F-150 is the 3.3 naturally aspirated V6. Not the 2.7. I think it's a $995 upgrade to the 2.7? Well worth the money though.
My bad just did a quick look around on the Ford website. I mean if so many people choose that engine there must be something good about it in the F-150 and maybe it'll be the same in the Bronco.

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My bad just did a quick look around on the Ford website. I mean if so many people choose that engine there must be something good about it in the F-150 and maybe it'll be the same in the Bronco.
The 2.7 is an excellent little engine. I loved it in my F-150 and the Bronco will be a little hot rod with it. I just value the manual more than the 2.7.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 is an excellent little engine. I loved it in my F-150 and the Bronco will be a little hot rod with it. I just value the manual more than the 2.7.
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm really having a hard time making my decision on the engine based on the thread lol. The only thing I'm set on is the two door and color, everything else would fall into place after the engine/transmission choice. I don't doubt how good both these engines are but I'm gonna being think about this till I build mind whenerwhenever they let us.

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm really having a hard time making my decision on the engine based on the thread lol. The only thing I'm set on is the two door and color, everything else would fall into place after the engine/transmission choice. I don't doubt how good both these engines are but I'm gonna being think about this till I build mind whenerwhenever they let us.
My thought is that trucks/SUV's are not inherently fun to drive and I feel like the manual will give it some fun factor over the auto. I'm coming from a purple Charger Daytona... I need to keep some of the excitement.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thought is that trucks/SUV's are not inherently fun to drive and I feel like the manual will give it some fun factor over the auto. I'm coming from a purple Charger Daytona... I need to keep some of the excitement.
Completely agree, I think a manual in almost any car, truck or SUV would add a unique fun factor that no other feature or option would add.

My past three Ford leases weren't boring IMO but not fun. Two Focus hatch backs and an Escape now. I was hope to be in a Bronco by now but clearly that didn't happen. If I go with the manual it'll be my first manual as a DD. I figured going on here to express my dilemma would help make my decision. I think the manual would add a fun factor like you said and also just be super unique just knowing how many people actually purchase any vehicle with a manual. I'm really just hoping the inline 4 doesn't (even with the manual) doesn't feel under powered.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
but I'm very interested to see what the initial take rate for these reservations take the manual.
I wonder if Ford will share that info. I don’t think Jeep shares but you can find posts here that say things like 5% - I don‘t think there is a basis for those low %’s.

The best thing I’ve seen shows Wrangler 20/80 with a significant decline from over 50% 15 years ago. Their methodology seems decent given that Jeep doesn’t release the true production #’s.

https://www.inwheeltime.com/grabn-gears-no-more/

AMCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUR RON
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, so there seems to be some pretty solid support for the manual transmission.

If 47% of Bronco buyers get a manual, that means they cannot upgade their motor(1900$) or get the Sasquatch package(5000$). That could be a lot of cash Ford is leaving on the table, that would otherwise be an easy sell.

Or they could release the 2.7L manual trans combo next year and really piss off a lot of Bronco owners.

In any case still not sure on what I'll get, or even if i end up sitting this year out. I just know that I will regret getting the automatic.

jled

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i took test drive in a ranger today just to feel the t4 / it was surprisingly sharp
Sponsored