Sponsored

Poll 2.7 Manual Sasquatch

Would the 2.7 Manual Sasquatch your top choice if it were available?

• Total voters

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The new 7 speed manual has a torque limit of basically 400lbs, it was stated in a video not too long ago. Ford will not put that transmission behind the 2.7 from factory knowing it's basically maxed out and problematic.
As for a new manual transmission capable to handle the 2.7, I don't see Ford doing that.
You nailed it.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

2.7 w 7MT and Squatch
- or -
2.7 w 7MT Badlands

Absolutely @Ford

(What is Levine’s username?)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Limited to base package only due to locked to low trim, but the manual 2.7..... hmmmm...

I would probably skip the Bronco altogether until such time as I could get a seat heater and some creature comforts from Ford. A manual 2.7 that forced a lux package would still sell out at big profits.
I was thinking more of a stripper muscle truck. That wouldn't break the bank or the axles with deep gears and big tires. Because 2.7 MT on 30 inch tires in a light Bronco sounds like alot of burnouts to me. My 92 4.0 5spd Ranger XL shortbed with no compressor on the motor would could get wheelspin in every gear except overdrive. One time with nothing in the bed I chirped the tires going up a ramp in 4th. The 2.7 being offered on the low end would be a good way to squeeze an extra buck from even the cheapskates. And auto trans is more of a creature comfort type thing for those with cold butts.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You nailed it.
Getrag website has the torque capacity for a version of it at 405, 480, and 590 lbft.

So we know it the 2.3 and 2.7 have different bellhousings so perhaps the pattern on the 480lbft is the same as the midsized motors like the 2.7 and 3.5s. And the 590lbft is for the 5.0s ore even 6.8/7.3s.

I would be shocked if there isnt a godzilla swapped Bronco in the next 5 years with a manual.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new 7 speed manual has a torque limit of basically 400lbs, it was stated in a video not too long ago. Ford will not put that transmission behind the 2.7 from factory knowing it's basically maxed out and problematic.
As for a new manual transmission capable to handle the 2.7, I don't see Ford doing that.
The 7 Speed can be configured to handle much more, so it could easily handle what the 2.7L (even with a tune). I've said it before (in other threads) FoMoCo SHOULD HAVE designed the 7 Speed with a Bolt On Bell Housing, instead of the casted one that will only mate to the 2.3L.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Getrag website has the torque capacity for a version of it at 405, 480, and 590 lbft.

So we know it the 2.3 and 2.7 have different bellhousings so perhaps the pattern on the 480lbft is the same as the midsized motors like the 2.7 and 3.5s. And the 590lbft is for the 5.0s ore even 6.8/7.3s.

I would be shocked if there isnt a godzilla swapped Bronco in the next 5 years with a manual.
Hmmm, if only this comes to fruition.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmmm, if only this comes to fruition.
If Ford or the aftermarket doesnt get real with this Bronco in a couple years. I may end looking at mine after I pay it off and think that selling all my drivetrain and swapping in a built 460 with a t18/NP205 and gear vendors OD. I already got 2 of those. Minus the rebuild of the 460. Im thinking and AFR top end, forged pistons, and a mild cam should make 500 hp and 500-600 lbft. Id be better off without all those electronics anyway. Just go aftermarket on the whole thing. Or maybe I should stop this rabbit hole and not be poor for the next decade :ROFLMAO:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not here to flame, but according to Car and Driver...

" The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550. The 550 stands for its torque capacity in newton-meters, which equates to 406 lb-ft, although the company tells us that limit can go all the way up to 590 lb-ft, depending on application. The Bronco's turbocharged 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder, the only engine available with the manual, is comfortably under both those figures, with a peak of 310 lb-ft and 270 horsepower. "

Based on the above and Getrag's expertise in building manual transmissions, there is no reason the unit in the New Bronco couldn't be adopted to the 2.7 Ecoboost. The real reason is cost. The US DOT has regulations that require every version of a vehicle's drivetrain be crash tested. Based on the low take up rate of manual transmissions these days, it wasn't worth the investment by Ford to offer the manual behind the 2.7L.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 7 Speed can be configured to handle much more, so it could easily handle what the 2.7L (even with a tune). I've said it before (in other threads) FoMoCo SHOULD HAVE designed the 7 Speed with a Bolt On Bell Housing, instead of the casted one that will only mate to the 2.3L.
I've not seen a good pic of the MTI550, but since it has a cast-in bell housing yet is scalable and configurable for different applications (including a hybrid), the gearbox must just slide in from the rear like a race gear box. I would think the casting patterns can be easily configured for the engine block they are bolting up to. Just a guess.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Based on the low take up rate of manual transmissions these days, it wasn't worth the investment by Ford to offer the manual behind the 2.7L.
By this logic it would have made even less sense to offer it for the 2.3. Had they developed it for the 2.7 instead, a lot more manuals would be produced as a bunch of people compromised the manual to get the 2.7, lowering amortization costs per unit and they could have moved the drivetrain to the F-150 (and the new frame Ranger coming out could have had a manual V6.)

A half-ton F-150 pick up with a manual transmission would have pulled a ton of sales from competitors and a 2.7 manual Ranger would be heavily cross shopped by Toyota Tacoma manual buyers.

Since the transmission could have been spec'd to take the 2.7 torque, I would have a guess that something else is the limiting factor in the driveline. Likely CV joints won't take the abuse of over 400 lb-ft with a quickly engaged clutch beyond certain turning angles (Automatics will cushion the shock loads and can be programmed with the throttle to reduce torque unless the wheels are straight enough.) A clutch and a human make that sort of protective algorithm moot. No way to protect from abusive shock loading when a clutch is dropped, no matter how intrusive a clutch delay valve is specified.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
By this logic it would have made even less sense to offer it for the 2.3. Had they developed it for the 2.7 instead, a lot more manuals would be produced as a bunch of people compromised the manual to get the 2.7, lowering amortization costs per unit and they could have moved the drivetrain to the F-150 (and the new frame Ranger coming out could have had a manual V6.)

A half-ton F-150 pick up with a manual transmission would have pulled a ton of sales from competitors and a 2.7 manual Ranger would be heavily cross shopped by Toyota Tacoma manual buyers.

Since the transmission could have been spec'd to take the 2.7 torque, I would have a guess that something else is the limiting factor in the driveline. Likely CV joints won't take the abuse of over 400 lb-ft with a quickly engaged clutch beyond certain turning angles (Automatics will cushion the shock loads and can be programmed with the throttle to reduce torque unless the wheels are straight enough.) A clutch and a human make that sort of protective algorithm moot. No way to protect from abusive shock loading when a clutch is dropped, no matter how intrusive a clutch delay valve is specified.
But they still have to crash test each model with each drivetrain configuration, so the economics doesn't work on a model by model basis. Having more models with a 2.7 mated with the manual helps with parts logistics, but the take rate is still too low to make it worthwhile. What needs to happen if we consumers want transmission diversity is have the industry to petition for computer-aided crash testing rather than actual crash testing. That and too many think they can't text and drive with a manual transmission.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally I love the 10 speed on my Raptor and in my dads Ranger and the 2.7 with that auto would be my preference. I’m going to be driving my WT on-road 95% of the time or more and my years of wanting the manual tranny are in the rear view!

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
If they offered this configuration we’d probably buy a higher trim level four door and sell / trade-in our GTI. For now, the plan is to just buy a Base two door 2.3L mansquatch.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But they still have to crash test each model with each drivetrain configuration, so the economics doesn't work on a model by model basis. Having more models with a 2.7 mated with the manual helps with parts logistics, but the take rate is still too low to make it worthwhile. What needs to happen if we consumers want transmission diversity is have the industry to petition for computer-aided crash testing rather than actual crash testing. That and too many think they can't text and drive with a manual transmission.
ah, you misunderstand, I am not saying they should have added the manual to the 2.7 in addition to the 2.3, I am saying they should have only done the 2.7 with a manual, then the above costs you mentioned would have been about the same. They paid whatever testing (crash and emissions) testing cost for the 2.3 and manual, I am saying that the costs would have been about the same if they did it for the 2.7 and manual instead and that they would have gotten a higher take rate and been able add it to other models that have a transfer case and take the 2.7 (read; millions of F-150 units a year) in the future if they so desired. Once they get the Bronco frame under the new Ranger, the 2.7 will be the engine of choice there as well. With similar weight, they could probably piggy back some of Bronco's testing in the emissions area to save money and offer class leading power in a midsize pick up with both a manual or automatic options. It is insane to do it the other way around and pick the 2.3 as the design target over the 2.7

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not here to flame, but according to Car and Driver...

" The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550. The 550 stands for its torque capacity in newton-meters, which equates to 406 lb-ft, although the company tells us that limit can go all the way up to 590 lb-ft, depending on application. The Bronco's turbocharged 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder, the only engine available with the manual, is comfortably under both those figures, with a peak of 310 lb-ft and 270 horsepower. "

Based on the above and Getrag's expertise in building manual transmissions, there is no reason the unit in the New Bronco couldn't be adopted to the 2.7 Ecoboost. The real reason is cost. The US DOT has regulations that require every version of a vehicle's drivetrain be crash tested. Based on the low take up rate of manual transmissions these days, it wasn't worth the investment by Ford to offer the manual behind the 2.7L.
The cross-section between people who are buying 2.3L/Manual and those who would buy 2.7L Manual is pretty much a circle. Ford would sell a healthy portion more 2.7L engines.
Sponsored