Sponsored

Manual or the 2.7

Who’s going to get their Bronco with a manual transmission?

• Manual

• Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is anyone who was considering getting the manual at first, but now since its with the smaller 2.3 eco boost just considering getting the bigger engine?

I know the fact that you can’t get the Sasquatch package with the manual is a mark against the manual as well. Even with manuals having less and less take rates in other vehicles today, is anyone still considering the manual at this point with what we know so far?

I reseserved a two door Bronco and I’m still on the fence on whether to get it with the manual or get the bigger 2.7 eco boost engine.
Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love inline 4s, but in this case the 2.7 is much more reliable. Too bad no stick with the 2.7.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really want the manual, but....

The Getrag 7 speed is already pushing its max HP rating with the 2.3L.
And Getrag has a less than stellar reputation in the Mustang community.
It's a roll of the dice right now.

The 10S auto OTOH has been GTG in the Ranger.

joshofthefall

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Scion tC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yuuup, sadly... Two door manual SUV of some sort has been on my want list for a while, but I also really want the 6 cylinder, not to mention access to the high package with reserving an OBX which comes with a 10 speed standard, so I'm giving up my manual dream (but only for now!)

I think the fun and added power of the V6 will help me get over the manual remorse pretty quickly, the bright side though is the girlfriend can drive it as well. As long as we've been together I've only ever had manuals so it'll be an odd feeling being riding shotgun in my own car haha

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I love inline 4s, but in this case the 2.7 is much more reliable. Too bad no stick with the 2.7.
Based on what information? The only issues with the Ranger have been driveline phasing and a faulty fuel pump.

Mustang has been running the 2.3 for years and yes, if you try to push it to 450-500 whp, it blows up.

There is nothing about the 2.3 which has proven unreliable.

When are us Americans just going to admit "I always choose the bigger motor because bigger is always better!" instead of trying to rationalize it, especially with bogus statements such as the reliability of the 2.3?

Now, the getrag transmission i'm not well versed in. However, as the owner of a flashy drivetrain warranty, i'm willing to keep stock power levels with zero mods and test out the drivetrain as much as possible, including replacement transmissions when need be :)

Last edited:

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I disagree with you and there are numerous examples on warped blocks, head gaskets, etc. Yes, before you blast away all engines have their lemons. So are you getting the 2.3 or the 2.7?
2.3 w/Manual.

The warped blocks and head gasket issues have been on the RS almost exclusively. Which has a different head, different cooling ports and had a faulty head gasket design due to it's cooling issues.

That motor was also essentially a 1-off for those 5,000 units. Hundreds of thousands of those motors in Mustangs and Rangers without the RS head or gasket design and without issues.

I've also followed the Ranger forums since pre-release, as the the GF pre-ordered a 2019 Ranger. I won't opine on the entire Ranger reliability based on her truck (which has been flawless), but the forums aren't exactly alight with issues. The fuel pumps had a gasket issue allowing fuel in oil on a low number of engines. And driveline phasing.... And a 10-speed automatic that is boring (hence me going MT).

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still undecided on what engine I'll be going with, waiting to actually be able to test drive both, but either way it'll be auto. Never was a fan of stick shift and then factoring in the Sasquatch requirements makes it a easy decision for me.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Getrag 7 speed is already pushing its max HP rating with the 2.3L.
And Getrag has a less than stellar reputation in the Mustang community.
God can say what he wants, all others must bring data :LOL:

Seriously - it does no one any good to make these kind of claims without backing them up. If you want to actually help someone here, try sharing links to factual information so we can also learn from the source.

And I don’t want to hear any “use the search” suggestions - it just brings up more posts like yours...

I will happily read reputable articles shared with reliability data... Or even first hand accounts...

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2.3 w/Manual.

The warped blocks and head gasket issues have been on the RS almost exclusively. Which has a different head, different cooling ports and had a faulty head gasket design due to it's cooling issues.

That motor was also essentially a 1-off for those 5,000 units. Hundreds of thousands of those motors in Mustangs and Rangers without the RS head or gasket design and without issues.

I've also followed the Ranger forums since pre-release, as the the GF pre-ordered a 2019 Ranger. I won't opine on the entire Ranger reliability based on her truck (which has been flawless), but the forums aren't exactly alight with issues. The fuel pumps had a gasket issue allowing fuel in oil on a low number of engines. And driveline phasing.... And a 10-speed automatic that is boring (hence me going MT).
Everyone knows about the RS head gasket issue and the repair of same, but there have been warped blocks, but like you I do not want to opine, etc. As for your GS's Ranger, I am happy things worked out. I did endorse the petition for the MT on the 2.7. Honestly, we discuss a whole array of Bronco stuff and we all have one common goal and that is getting our Broncos!

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s what I was thinking as well. That engine has been pretty reliable in the F-150 which would be a plus for longevity. I was also concerned the inline 4 would feel under powered, manual or the 10 speed; compared to the 2.7.
Sponsored