Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use trip 1 to track my miles per tank and so far the highest calculated MPG I've seen is 16.8 and the lowest is 15.1. On the 15.1 tank the nifty average MPG display on the dash said 17.4 which is a 15% error.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/digital-mpg-fuel-economy-display-your-vehicle-lying-you

My commute is 50 miles of freeway or highway (depending on route) I set the cruise at 75 on the freeway or 70 on the highway. Some hills but it's Nebraska soooo.....

The wind is north/south 90% of the time, while I'm driving east/west, and it seem like whenever the wind is east/west it's a head wind.

Badlands, Non sas, tow, lux, 2.7l.
Sponsored

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can I ask a question here about Regular vs. Premium Fuel?

I am wondering about the practical differences in the using of Regular and Hi-Test fuels in my upcoming Wildtrak with the 2.7L.

When I was a Senior in HS, my Dad got himself a '98 BMW Z3 2.8L that I was allowed to borrow every now and again. The owner's manual specified you were supposed to use Hi-Test and I just Googled it, it literally says something along the lines of "refuel with 'Regular' gasoline as an exception only..." - so to the best of my memory , we used Hi-Test exclusively. (I am using the affectionate term Hi-Test here for Premium fuel... 93 Octane unless we were at a Sunoco, which had the "94, Ultra 94" Super Premium...) - Back then these Hi-Tests were the only gas that cost $1 a gallon. (Imagine that!)

Conversely- I have a Jeep Wrangler with whatever it is, a 3.6L V6 ... and the owner's manual specifically says to use Regular fuel and to NOT use Premium, the engine was specifically designed for Regular. As a kid I was taught to every now and again invest in a tank of Premium fuels to "clean the engine" (and I'll tell you, when I was 17 I had a Jeep with the 4.0L Straight Six, and when you put a tank of Ultra '94 in it, that thing *flew* off the line at a Red Light. That engine *roared* ...especially on Hi-Test...) but Jeep is specifically saying "Do Not Use Premium Fuel' - so , I follow the manual.

Now my question- with the 2.7L Bronco engine, everything I have read seems to say, you can get 300HP on Regular gas, but if you want that 330HP and "maximum performance" you need to use Hi-Test. Let us assume for the moment my plan would be to normally use Regular on a almost-always basis but every now and again run some Hi-Test to have a little fun. Is there any potential for damage there? I once read somewhere on the internet that it's NOT good to switch up your fuels in modern cars... they're designed for one or the other and switching up makes them unhappy inside and can cause engine problems. I'm not very mechanical so I have no real idea here, figured I could get some opinions here. Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for everyone's time and help.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I am wondering about the practical differences in the using of Regular and Hi-Test fuels in my upcoming Wildtrak with the 2.7L.

When I was a Senior in HS, my Dad got himself a '98 BMW Z3 2.8L that I was allowed to borrow every now and again. The owner's manual specified you were supposed to use Hi-Test and I just Googled it, it literally says something along the lines of "refuel with 'Regular' gasoline as an exception only..." - so to the best of my memory , we used Hi-Test exclusively. (I am using the affectionate term Hi-Test here for Premium fuel... 93 Octane unless we were at a Sunoco, which had the "94, Ultra 94" Super Premium...) - Back then these Hi-Tests were the only gas that cost $1 a gallon. (Imagine that!)

Conversely- I have a Jeep Wrangler with whatever it is, a 3.6L V6 ... and the owner's manual specifically says to use Regular fuel and to NOT use Premium, the engine was specifically designed for Regular. As a kid I was taught to every now and again invest in a tank of Premium fuels to "clean the engine" (and I'll tell you, when I was 17 I had a Jeep with the 4.0L Straight Six, and when you put a tank of Ultra '94 in it, that thing *flew* off the line at a Red Light. That engine *roared* ...especially on Hi-Test...) but Jeep is specifically saying "Do Not Use Premium Fuel' - so , I follow the manual.

Now my question- with the 2.7L Bronco engine, everything I have read seems to say, you can get 300HP on Regular gas, but if you want that 330HP and "maximum performance" you need to use Hi-Test. Let us assume for the moment my plan would be to normally use Regular on a almost-always basis but every now and again run some Hi-Test to have a little fun. Is there any potential for damage there? I once read somewhere on the internet that it's NOT good to switch up your fuels in modern cars... they're designed for one or the other and switching up makes them unhappy inside and can cause engine problems. I'm not very mechanical so I have no real idea here, figured I could get some opinions here. Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for everyone's time and help.
Fuel octane rating is essentially the speed and stability of the burn, the higher the octane the slower and more stable the burn rate. Some older vehicles would predetonate, or ping, on an octane that was too low. Now with modern computer systems, knock sensors, variable cam timing, etc the vehicle can figure out the right settings for every fuel octane, but retarding timing costs power. I can’t see where switching octane tank to tank will hurt anything in a modern car. Vehicles without a turbo that spec 87 octane typically don’t see any benefit from a higher octane fuel, they are not capable of adjusting for additional power beyond the 87 octane setting. Turbocharged cars tend to prefer the high octane fuel because under boost the fuel burn is modified by the extra compression to burn faster and at a higher temperature, so the slower more stable burn under boost pushes on the piston for a longer duration increasing power from the engine. Lower octane fuel is more likely to predetonate under the increased pressure and temperature causing the engine to reduce timing and as a result power. I will try my Bronco on both and see if it makes a noticeable difference. Mine won’t be a daily driver, so I’ll probably stick with 93.

If I remembered any of this incorrectly I’m sure someone will post something better.

Last edited:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

You're fine with either.

Stay away from fuel lower than 87, found at high elevations.

Sponsored

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Got my window sticker yesterday - another question if I may -

It says 17 City / 17 Highway - Average 17 - is that what everyone's says, and everyone is getting? I've only bought a few new vehicles myself in life, but I've been with my father countless times in life when he has - mine always had a noticeable differences.. I had a brand new little Chevy Cobalt in '05 when I got a job doing significant driving, and I think the sticker said 34/25 and it was more like 30/20 (never got below 20) - my Jeep is like 20 / 16 I want to say ... but I was amused to see 17/17 on the Bronco sticker. Is that what everyone's getting? Thanks!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

It says 17 City / 17 Highway - Average 17 - is that what everyone's says, and everyone is getting? I've only bought a few new vehicles myself in life, but I've been with my father countless times in life when he has - mine always had a noticeable differences.. I had a brand new little Chevy Cobalt in '05 when I got a job doing significant driving, and I think the sticker said 34/25 and it was more like 30/20 (never got below 20) - my Jeep is like 20 / 16 I want to say ... but I was amused to see 17/17 on the Bronco sticker. Is that what everyone's getting? Thanks!
Its pretty close to real world. 15.5-16.5 around town and 17-18.5 at optimal highway speeds. Putting aside driving style I could see how MPG skews some if you have a loaded BL with all the steel parts at 5200 lbs versus a more basic Sasquatch trim at 4800 lbs

Don’t worry about the MPG. It’s a fun vehicle. I’ve realized almost half the time I drive the bronco it’s for joy rides or a trip that it’s totally necessary for the sake of taking out the bronco. So considering I could have just stayed home, who really cares that much on mpg. Smiles per gallon.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Car computer tells me 16-18 on the highway (head and cross winds kill MPG). Calculating MPG at every tank I have yet to break 17, averaging about 16.5mpg on mostly freeway driving cruise set at 75mph.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just watched a YouTube video where they had put a hemi in their JK. In addition their JK was lifted, head heavy armor, bumpers, gears, etc.

Got 13.5 mpg ..wtf ford?

Sponsored

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fuel octane rating is essentially the speed and stability of the burn, the higher the octane the slower and more stable the burn rate. Some older vehicles would predetonate, or ping, on an octane that was too low. Now with modern computer systems, knock sensors, variable cam timing, etc the vehicle can figure out the right settings for every fuel octane, but retarding timing costs power. I can’t see where switching octane tank to tank will hurt anything in a modern car. Vehicles without a turbo that spec 87 octane typically don’t see any benefit from a higher octane fuel, they are not capable of adjusting for additional power beyond the 87 octane setting. Turbocharged cars tend to prefer the high octane fuel because under boost the fuel burn is modified by the extra compression to burn faster and at a higher temperature, so the slower more stable burn under boost pushes on the piston for a longer duration increasing power from the engine. Lower octane fuel is more likely to predetonate under the increased pressure and temperature causing the engine to reduce timing and as a result power. I will try my Bronco on both and see if it makes a noticeable difference. Mine won’t be a daily driver, so I’ll probably stick with 93.

If I remembered any of this incorrectly I’m sure someone will post something better.
I could not have said it better myself. This is exactly why you want to use higher octane with forced induction at all times. Ford really has to dumb down these Ecoboost engines to run 87. There is also no substitute for octane so do not try using the "booster" in a bottle. That stuff will just foul out plugs over time.

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I quit looking at the mileage. It was just depressing and my dash was off by almost 2 mpg before I put the tires on. To be honest though I didn't buy this for the mileage.

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m averaging 14.5 right now after 250 miles, only city driving, no highway yet. To be fair I’ve done a lot of idling and my city driving has been very stop and go. I’m sure I’ll get better mpg once it’s not freezing anymore and I do more country backroad and highway driving.

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mostly highway for 1,000 miles so far, majority of that on a round trip from Ft Laud to Orlando on I-95 so pretty consistently at 80+mph. Computer says average just over 15 mpg In 2dr non-Sas BL with 2.7. It has a surprisingly small gas tank too so it does seem like I’m at the gas station frequently (compared to 3.0 v6 Range Rover Sport).

Related note - It’s never felt short on power. Used both 87 and 93 octane and haven’t noticed a difference in power or mpg.

Not really related notes - Adaptive cruise works well. Wind noise above 70 is…well…glad I have the B&O stereo.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I only run 93 octane. I average 17 but on the highway in eco mode I get over 20. Pretty impressive for 35s.
Sponsored

Last edited: