First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Alright so I have a July 21 built Bronco, 2.7 21179 engine. So far everything has been great at 5,167 miles. Yesterday after a short drive I stopped and saw noticeable smoke coming from the cowl/under hood area. Got out and popped the hood, it was definitely burning oil. Couldn't see where it was coming from and it calmed down.

I got home, pulled it in the garage where it's always parked, zero drips on the floor. So I started looking around with a flashlight. The oil is coming from a hose on the left rear of the engine (driver side) I can't tell if it's a hose running to the turbo or not. Anyway it's dripping directly down on the driver side cat converter causing the smoke.

I have an appointment in service 8/2 (earliest they could get it in) luckily I go on vacation that week and can just leave it with them. I'm driving my other vehicles in the mean time as to not make it worse.

I was able to get a couple pics of the heat shield of the cat with the oil line on it.
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220718_181656
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220718_181737
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220718_181730
Sponsored

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My guess is your turbo is blowing oil. Interested to see what they find.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Alright so I have a July 21 built Bronco, 2.7 21179 engine. So far everything has been great at 5,167 miles. Yesterday after a short drive I stopped and saw noticeable smoke coming from the cowl/under hood area. Got out and popped the hood, it was definitely burning oil. Couldn't see where it was coming from and it calmed down.

I got home, pulled it in the garage where it's always parked, zero drips on the floor. So I started looking around with a flashlight. The oil is coming from a hose on the left rear of the engine (driver side) I can't tell if it's a hose running to the turbo or not. Anyway it's dripping directly down on the driver side cat converter causing the smoke.

I have an appointment in service 8/2 (earliest they could get it in) luckily I go on vacation that week and can just leave it with them. I'm driving my other vehicles in the mean time as to not make it worse.

I was able to get a couple pics of the heat shield of the cat with the oil line on it.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Eh it’s only oil on the exhaust that could ignite and cause a fire if driven far enough. Why would they put that off for weeks!! To me at least bring it in verify it’s oil and tell the customer it’s not a safe condition to drive with. My I’m over reacting but I literally watched a car catch fire at a gas station from oil leaking into the exhaust. You could smell the oil burning and the lady left it running and went inside to get stuff. And that’s when the flames started.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow thats not ideal at all. From the pictures I would guess its a turbo line as someone else also said previously, hopefully its that simple and not something else. Keep us updated

Sponsored
OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Eh it’s only oil on the exhaust that could ignite and cause a fire if driven far enough. Why would they put that off for weeks!! To me at least bring it in verify it’s oil and tell the customer it’s not a safe condition to drive with. My I’m over reacting but I literally watched a car catch fire at a gas station from oil leaking into the exhaust. You could smell the oil burning and the lady left it running and went inside to get stuff. And that’s when the flames started.
I understand and appreciate your sentiment, but there are no techs, hell everywhere is very short staffed so it's not surprising. Luckily I have multiple other vehicles to drive and I can park it until it can be brought in. It's not lost on me that this could be a real issue for someone with just 1 vehicle. Also that someone without any mechanical knowledge might keep driving it and potentially have a fire.

From what I can tell, it's tight back there but it does look like a oil line running to the turbo, can't tell if it's a hose issue or turbo issue.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand and appreciate your sentiment, but there are no techs, hell everywhere is very short staffed so it's not surprising. Luckily I have multiple other vehicles to drive and I can park it until it can be brought in. It's not lost on me that this could be a real issue for someone with just 1 vehicle. Also that someone without any mechanical knowledge might keep driving it and potentially have a fire.

From what I can tell, it's tight back there but it does look like a oil line running to the turbo, can't tell if it's a hose issue or turbo issue.
99.999999999% is a line/connection issue. If you're turbo itself has an oil leak, it won't last long.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Our broncos are our daily drivers both my wife’s and mine. At the moment it’s probably worth more burn lol but I’d hate to try to find a replacement.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
99.999999999% is a line/connection issue. If you're turbo itself has an oil leak, it won't last long.
That's my thoughts, although It definitely just started and I don't drive a lot of miles (day I noticed it I maybe put 20 miles on it).

Our broncos are our daily drivers both my wife’s and mine. At the moment it’s probably worth more burn lol but I’d hate to try to find a replacement.
My Bronco is a DD also, but I have other DD's I hop into. I kept all my other vehicles and the Bronco was an extra toy for me.

Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220708_161540
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220204_222944

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't see the leak from the top? Interested in where the highest point you notice wet marks. Can see them on the bell housing in the second pic which is why I asked about the top. No recent oil change? Oil fill cap on tight? Dipstick seated? No oil residue near the valve cover?

Could be coming from the supply or drain line blowing back and down but the drain tube in pic. #2 doesn't appear wet and no drips hanging anywhere else to be seen. Could be an o-ring or gasket on one of those but am curious about stuff above like PCV lines/valve cover. No catch can?

Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 1658336284805

Sponsored
OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can't see the leak from the top? Interested in where the highest point you notice wet marks. Can see them on the bell housing in the second pic which is why I asked about the top. No recent oil change? Oil fill cap on tight? Dipstick seated? No oil residue near the valve cover?

Could be coming from the supply or drain line blowing back and down but the drain tube in pic. #2 doesn't appear wet and no drips hanging anywhere else to be seen. Could be an o-ring or gasket on one of those but am curious about stuff above like PCV lines/valve cover. No catch can?

Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 1658336284805
-No, can't see from the top
-Never had an oil change yet, it's exactly as it left the factory
-Dip stick and fill cap are tight
-No catch can, all stock

I couldn't get a picture of it, but above the cat there is a black hose that looks like oil line and it looks like the leak is originating from there.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CAC pipe? #8 in the pic? CAC may have some oil in the system but I'd think you'd hear a whistle/hiss if the hose was loose or had a split in it since it's on the pressure side of the system.

Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 1658337610481

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No it's on the rear of the engine, looked like about a 1/2" rubber hose with a crimp fitting best I could tell.

When I get home from work I'll try to get photos above the cat.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
CAC pipe? #8 in the pic? CAC may have some oil in the system but I'd think you'd hear a whistle/hiss if the hose was loose or had a split in it since it's on the pressure side of the system.

Ok, here is some photos with a secondary light. You see the black hose with a clamp and covered in heat shield? It looks to be dripping from there down on to the cat.

Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220720_172411
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220720_172430
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220720_172445
Ford Bronco 2.7 oil leak dripping on exhaust 20220720_172501
Sponsored