Sponsored

2 door parents - how is using car seats? Any regrets?

BronchoPeat

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.evergreenclothier.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 Tiguan S w/4motion | '14 Fiesta SE Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve had a 2 door BaseSquatch since the end of June. My son was very small so we started using a rear facing infant seat and now he’s in a front facing booster style seat. I’m 5’9” and I haven’t had issues getting him in and out. Sometimes we’re in and out multiple times per day.

It has become standard operating procedure for our family and I honestly didn’t even think about it until I saw your post. We love our 2 door Bronco and are very happy we didn’t settle for the 4 door.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, we have a 90lb ridgeback and a 60lb shepherd we haul around as well.

My only regret is not reserving a second 2 door.
Sponsored

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost 15 years ago I replaced my regular cab '03 Tacoma with an '05 4 dr Tacoma (still have it) I did this because my fiance (now wife) wanted a family (I did too.) I still regret losing my regular cab. Fast forward to today- 10 and 8 year old kids. I am dead set on a two door unless i need a vehicle before my order comes and I have to do something quicker e.g. 4 dr soft top. The kids are fine getting in and out of a two door. I would have made it work when they were infants. Either way get what you want. by our nature we are all picky on this forum. Either version looks good (2 dr just slightly more so according to me.) Small consolation but i'm telling myself the longer I wait the more likely the bugs and gremlins are worked out for mine. If the kids had a vote they overwhelmingly like the 2 dr. Also, the middle seat in the back of the 4 door is unusable-rather have 2 good back seats than the 2 average and 1 horrible ones.

OP
OP

See_Later_Alligator

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Almost 15 years ago I replaced my regular cab '03 Tacoma with an '05 4 dr Tacoma (still have it) I did this because my fiance (now wife) wanted a family (I did too.) I still regret losing my regular cab. Fast forward to today- 10 and 8 year old kids. I am dead set on a two door unless i need a vehicle before my order comes and I have to do something quicker e.g. 4 dr soft top. The kids are fine getting in and out of a two door. I would have made it work when they were infants. Either way get what you want. by our nature we are all picky on this forum. Either version looks good (2 dr just slightly more so according to me.) Small consolation but i'm telling myself the longer I wait the more likely the bugs and gremlins are worked out for mine. If the kids had a vote they overwhelmingly like the 2 dr. Also, the middle seat in the back of the 4 door is unusable-rather have 2 good back seats than the 2 average and 1 horrible ones.
I also prefer the 2 door from a visual look. Going for a 2.3 or 2.7? I’m wait for the gremlins and roof to be sorted out. Also want a painted roof as the Florida sun will blast it gray immediately.

OP
OP

See_Later_Alligator

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We’re a family of four with 8 and 2 year old boys, waiting on a 2 door Bronco Base. Our other family car is a Ford Transit Connect wagon (underrated and recommended, BTW). So, like the OP, the Bronco won’t be our primary family hauler. But it will certainly be used for trips with all four of us. I know I will always try to find a way to rationalize it… ;-)

The Bronco replaces our 1997 Wrangler TJ which was my daily driver for three years. I used to pick up our then-first grader and one of his classmates from school. It was really important to have side steps for the kids to use, but other than that it was easy for them to climb in. For the two year old, limited rear seat space in the TJ forced us to install his car seat sans base and forward facing - sooner than we would have liked. But from what I’ve seen with rear seat legroom in the Bronco, I don’t think that will be a problem. I bring up the TJ because we were able to make that work for our “around town” driving and some weekend and day trips out of town. Cargo space with four people was seriously limited to only the bare minimum essentials.

I grew up in a “wheels” family. Convertibles, classics, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. So it’s not new to me to make comfort compromises in the name of fun and capability. My wife didn’t experience that as a kid. The base TJ (manual, soft top, half doors, factory A/C and radio delete) was a stretch for her because it genuinely felt like riding around in a bumpy tent, especially at highway speeds. We’re really stoked to have a modern vehicle that will deliver fun and capability in a safer and more practical package.

Long-winded reply, but I think you’ll be fine and encourage you to get the bronco you want. You’ll make it work.
very helpful. Are you considering getting side steps for the 2 door to assist the kids? One of the vids I saw was that it was tough for the kids to climb in. Not sure if they sell oem side step for 2 door. 2.3 or 2.7?

BuffaloBronco87

Outer Banks
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ended up getting the four door because I have a one year old. I think I could’ve managed but it was a concession to my partner lol
I have a 1yr old as well. I find 4dr surprisingly annoying to get him in and out of. Can't wait for him to be forward facing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

See_Later_Alligator

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve had a 2 door BaseSquatch since the end of June. My son was very small so we started using a rear facing infant seat and now he’s in a front facing booster style seat. I’m 5’9” and I haven’t had issues getting him in and out. Sometimes we’re in and out multiple times per day.

It has become standard operating procedure for our family and I honestly didn’t even think about it until I saw your post. We love our 2 door Bronco and are very happy we didn’t settle for the 4 door.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, we have a 90lb ridgeback and a 60lb shepherd we haul around as well.

My only regret is not reserving a second 2 door.
thanks for sharing. Did you get the step rail per chance? Rear facing seems unfun lol. How many times have you completely removed the hard top? I love the look of it but wonder if I’ll end up doing it often.

BronchoPeat

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.evergreenclothier.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 Tiguan S w/4motion | '14 Fiesta SE Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

thanks for sharing. Did you get the step rail per chance? Rear facing seems unfun lol. How many times have you completely removed the hard top? I love the look of it but wonder if I’ll end up doing it often.
I didn’t get a rail or step yet. I’m waiting on RTR to release theirs. That’s the one I want and will ultimately need to reach stuff on the roof rack. The rear facing wasn’t that bad. I did a brief write up on it in another thread. We took a whole family vacation from Cleveland, OH to St. Louis, MO with it. We took off and left it off for a long stretch, about a month before we put it back on for winter. The hardtop is definitely one you’ll want to leave off and just use a Bimini for sun and rain protection as needed instead of going back and forth with the whole hardtop. I’m ordering the twill bestop soft top soon for next season as that will be a lot easier to manage during summer months for me.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

very helpful. Are you considering getting side steps for the 2 door to assist the kids? One of the vids I saw was that it was tough for the kids to climb in. Not sure if they sell oem side step for 2 door. 2.3 or 2.7?
I think side steps were one of the options for the base that were eliminated from MY2021 to MY2022. So we didn’t order with steps. My plan is to wait and see if they’re necessary. Assuming they are, I hope more aftermarket options (and reviews) are available by the time we take delivery summer-ish 2022. Or possibly there will be more factory take-offs available on the used market by then.

The steps on the TJ were most important in the winter when the exterior was covered in slush and road grime. Less chance with the steps that the kids brush up against the gunk and bring it inside with them.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think side steps were one of the options for the base that were eliminated from MY2021 to MY2022. So we didn’t order with steps. My plan is to wait and see if they’re necessary. Assuming they are, I hope more aftermarket options (and reviews) are available by the time we take delivery summer-ish 2022. Or possibly there will be more factory take-offs available on the used market by then.

The steps on the TJ were most important in the winter when the exterior was covered in slush and road grime. Less chance with the steps that the kids brush up against the gunk and bring it inside with them.
Options: 2.3. Auto. Aux switches. Roof rack.

BUDXR7

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered a 2 door. I have a 2 and 6 year old. Both in the same 5 point seat in the back of my short wheel base TJ wrangler. It’s not a big deal. I never put a top on it though because it lives in the garage. So I can just reach through the roll bar for buckling. So I second the comment that if it’s a second vehicle, no big deal. If it’s primary, maybe a minor PITA. If they can buckle themselves, it’s not big deal either way. I’m 6’1” and climbed in the back seat of the demo 2 door bronco and it was outright cavernous compared to a TJ. It wasn’t difficult using the sidestep on the OBX. I will be going to the aftermarket for a sidestep to accompany my 2.3 7spd.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base

One of them things, not available for either year, except as a dealer ordered/installed option. Having my dealer install them on my '21, maybe I'll see it soon. 12/6 build week... :( ...

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We’re a family of four with 8 and 2 year old boys, waiting on a 2 door Bronco Base. Our other family car is a Ford Transit Connect wagon (underrated and recommended, BTW). So, like the OP, the Bronco won’t be our primary family hauler. But it will certainly be used for trips with all four of us. I know I will always try to find a way to rationalize it… ;-)

The Bronco replaces our 1997 Wrangler TJ which was my daily driver for three years. I used to pick up our then-first grader and one of his classmates from school. It was really important to have side steps for the kids to use, but other than that it was easy for them to climb in. For the two year old, limited rear seat space in the TJ forced us to install his car seat sans base and forward facing - sooner than we would have liked. But from what I’ve seen with rear seat legroom in the Bronco, I don’t think that will be a problem. I bring up the TJ because we were able to make that work for our “around town” driving and some weekend and day trips out of town. Cargo space with four people was seriously limited to only the bare minimum essentials.

I grew up in a “wheels” family. Convertibles, classics, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. So it’s not new to me to make comfort compromises in the name of fun and capability. My wife didn’t experience that as a kid. The base TJ (manual, soft top, half doors, factory A/C and radio delete) was a stretch for her because it genuinely felt like riding around in a bumpy tent, especially at highway speeds. We’re really stoked to have a modern vehicle that will deliver fun and capability in a safer and more practical package.

Long-winded reply, but I think you’ll be fine and encourage you to get the bronco you want. You’ll make it work.
I would love a Transit Connect! If Ford could figure out how to offer 4WD on that one... that would make a perfect little camper.😍😍

getpower1

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 1yr old as well. I find 4dr surprisingly annoying to get him in and out of. Can't wait for him to be forward facing.
That may be something that’s just relatable to any guy on here. I have a three year old and a 10 month old both rear facing and it’s annoying getting them in and out of my crew cab truck. My 3 year old has a booster for my regular cab truck though and it’s a lot less of a pain. Plus he gets to see what’s going on so he wants to take that truck anytime we go anywhere.

I ordered the four door because I liked it better. Kids or no kids I would have ordered the four door. Nice when you’re hunting or camping to be able to just open a door and slide out your gear. I like them both though. If push came to shove and I could only afford the base 2-door I’d be happy with it too I’m sure. Wife maybe not so much.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I asked my kids today how they liked climbing into the back of my two door sasquatch. They all said it was fine and they didn't think it was a hassle. They are ages 6, 14, and 20. They all said there was plenty of room back there too. The six year old is in a booster seat, but he buckles himself.

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have an 11 year old and an 8 year old, so luckily we are out of the infant/car/booster seat stage. The 11 year old is violently against me getting side steps. When I get the 8 year old from school and he is wearing a loaded backpack, it is definitely a two-hands/two-knees/two-feet job for him to try to climb in so he doesn't flip backwards. The wife is 5'2" and asking for steps, so between him and her they may win out.
Sponsored