David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"I would definitely add the fog lights...." ???
"I would definitely add the Signature Lights if available on the BD". (I did not even bother to check what I typed after sending my post lol, I don't know what what happened to the message I thought I was writing)
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So to clarify, if you opt out of the "Built In" navigation, you lose the ability to navigate unless you renew the subscription?

But if you upgrade to the built in, you will always have navigation (in and out of cell service), just not necessarily the weather, traffict, etc?

I take frequent trips to the UP of MI where cell service is basically non existent, so this would be a great feature for wheeling up there. But after some google searches, it appears that there are several phone based navigation options that are free, allow you to download the maps for offline (and out of service) navigation, and are compatible with apple/android car play. It seems there are some workarounds that will save the seemingly large 700 fee for a gps antenna. I think I will stick to my guns and leave that feature out, although if cost was no object, this is a cool add on.
Correct, built in does not rely on cell service for gps location, think of it as what you used to know as navigation before the new fad of connected vehicles.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That imaginary system would have used the police band radio to send data. It was inspired by early in-car police terminals.

Mobile Digital Terminals (MDTs)
http://users.snowcrest.net/marnells/kma368.htm
Oh, you mean Packet radio?! ;)

Our MDTs now use Verizon with static IPs... which means one also gets to stream Youtube and scroll B6G on it.... you know, in between running plates...

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"I would definitely add the Signature Lights if available on the BD". (I did not even bother to check what I typed after sending my post lol, I don't know what what happened to the message I thought I was writing)
I got a phone update about 2 months ago and the swipe keyboard is really goofy in what it puts down.

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
tumblr_mo05yrJtha1r76lino1_400.gif

Honestly my experience of the pandemic the work from home, is often people are freaking AWOL from their job. Can't get a hold of them when they're supposed to be "working". Used to be if they were busy and a response was delayed you got an answer next business day, now sometimes it takes a week for people to get back to you.
Opposite at my workplace. People, including myself are busier than ever

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Regular map pocket like most cars have. I can’t remember if I saw it in this wildtrak Q&A or the First edition video.

I hadn’t seen this. Thanks

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

...I take frequent trips to the UP of MI where cell service is basically non existent, so this would be a great feature for wheeling up there. But after some google searches, it appears that there are several phone based navigation options that are free, allow you to download the maps for offline (and out of service) navigation, and are compatible with apple/android car play...
If you haven't used Android Auto or Apple Car Play, you need to rent a car or borrow somebody's that has it. No need for built in navigation anymore. Google maps lets you download whole areas to your phone for offline navigation, so you don't need to have cell service for it to work. I have 4-5 areas that I always have available offline.
My WRX has built-in navigation, but never use it because I use Google Maps or Waze through AA. My wife's Ascent doesn't even have navigation built-in; it was an option we chose to do without because of the AA functionality.

Sponsored

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you haven't used Android Auto or Apple Car Play, you need to rent a car or borrow somebody's that has it. No need for built in navigation anymore. Google maps lets you download whole areas to your phone for offline navigation, so you don't need to have cell service for it to work. I have 4-5 areas that I always have available offline.
My WRX has built-in navigation, but never use it because I use Google Maps or Waze through AA. My wife's Ascent doesn't even have navigation built-in; it was an option we chose to do without because of the AA functionality.
Thanks for the great tip. I didn't realize you could do this in google maps as well. Downloading regional maps as we speak. Unless the trail navigation feature they keep talking about is only available on the "Built In" navigation package, it is officially pointless.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To add clarity to the technical differences. Connected NAV uses onboard cellular data and cellular GPS, there is not a physical hockey puck gps antenna. No ATT cell service, no gps location. No subscription, no gps location.
Built in connected NAV has a physical hockey puck gps antenna, no cell service, no problem.
Both use the built in cellular for live traffic updates, weather alerts, etc as long as you have an active subscription.
Both store base maps in memory, no Harddrives on board lol. Both will update maps over cellular when available, with an active subscription.
I would love to see a source document that states Connected Nav does not have a GPS antenna/receiver.

I keep hearing the term cellular GPS, which isn't really a thing. Yeah, you can have A-GPS, but that simply uses cell tower triangulation to assist the GPS antenna/receiver in getting the initial lock quicker.

I find it inconceivable that you can get accurate turn-by-turn directions in a vehicle by simply pinging cell towers. I find it akin to when the iPhone first had GPS. Plenty of people were saying it didn't have real GPS, just A-GPS, which was asinine.

Now maybe I'm wrong, which happens plenty, but I would be willing to bet that both versions of the navigation system have an actual GPS antenna/receiver.

giphy.gif

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks Doug. Just to let you know you may have just cost me 3500 more dollars. I've been trying to stay away from the LUX package on my OBX, but this may be the post that has finally broke me. And, when I tell the CFO/Wife...........I'm gonna blame it all on you. Yep, if I'm going down I'm taking you with me. :oops: :D
Sponsored