First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Am I the only one who feels like this sort of trimming will both affect crash safety, and possibly cause the force exerted by the drivetrain to either warp the frame or damage the front diff in some way. From my experience with the RS, you want to bolster the mounts holding the various diffs/drivetrain pieces in place, not trim them back. It's a common issue for RS's with performance tunes to produce enough torque to actually twist the PTU (center diff) and destroy it, quite dramatically. One of the popular mods from Mountune is for reinforcing that mount:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/Focus-Rs-Ptu-Brace-Upgrade-p/2536-pbkt-aa.htm

The difference between the stock mount, and upgraded ones are massive -- I worry that trimming the Bronco's frame around the front diff will dramatically weaken its support as well. These parts of the install instructions worry me:

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 3.28.04 PM.png
So both of these areas are non-structural, but, if you really want to get anal about it, you could do the following:

1. After removing the frame extensions you could either make a 1/4" thick plate to slide in and attach with 4 bolts. Alternatively, should you not wish to bolt a cover plate, you can weld a plate in place rather easily to box it closed.

2. After cutting the front diff mounts flush you could pin it in place for the purpose of keeping the location accurate. Alternatively, you could even weld that area if you want to really make sure that it will never move, but I think that a pin for locating it is a better option. As the function of the tabs is for location.
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So both of these areas are non-structural, but, if you really want to get anal about it, you could do the following:

1. After removing the frame extensions you could either make a 1/4" thick plate to slide in and attach with 4 bolts. Alternatively, should you not wish to bolt a cover plate, you can weld a plate in place rather easily to box it closed.

2. After cutting the front diff mounts flush you could pin it in place for the purpose of keeping the location accurate. Alternatively, you could even weld that area if you want to really make sure that it will never move, but I think that a pin for locating it is a better option. As the function of the tabs is for location.
There's no way the frame extension bits are "non-structural", right? They may not be load bearing, but they're definitely there for a crash structure purpose, no? How can we be confident the tabs on the front diff brace are only for locating it? They seem like they could be added deliberately to bolster any force on the diff that would act on it towards the rear.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There's no way the frame extension bits are "non-structural", right? They may not be load bearing, but they're definitely there for a crash structure purpose, no? How can we be confident the tabs on the front diff brace are only for locating it? They seem like they could be added deliberately to bolster any force on the diff that would act on it towards the rear.
No, they do not appear to be there for any crash related purposes and they are minimally welded to the frame. They appear to be primarily for production purposes to allow proper frame positioning during production (that's my best guess). I would ask @Ford Motor Company for input on that, but we already know that they won't respond in any manner that would be considered useful.

As for the front diff brace, that's why I suggested a pin, the force necessary to overcome a 3/8" pin would exceed that of what those tabs would withstand. Those tabs are maybe 1/4", structurally inferior to the bolts or an additional pin and thus not particularly valuable with regard to preventing movement any more than a pin would be. Where they do shine is in ease of manufacturing. It is far easier to bend those tabs for the purpose of locating the brace than it is to put a 3/8" pin there.

I am not an engineer or lawyer, so do whatever you want, I know that I am not concerned about either modification provided that the surfaces are properly protected from corrosion.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No go on 2.7 engine either.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 1F192EAE-8124-4362-9130-C77CA0A4AA10
20211205_104615.jpg

More accurately, it's not plug and play with a 2.7 engine, there is additional work required. However, I would not go as far as to say that it's a no go. Below is my 2 door 2.7 w/ lux, tow, and mic.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stage 3 Motorsports

Stage 3 Motorsports

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door 2.7L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And certainly anything is possible here is a pic from one of the other forum members of the setup with a mod bumper.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 1640722278540

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Come on heater relocation kit... That's all that's missing.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And certainly anything is possible here is a pic from one of the other forum members of the setup with a mod bumper.

1640722278540.png
That is really clean looking
is there a writeup? Iirc the one i saw he had to cut the mount out to work with the fairlead

Last edited:

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a badlands with Mod bumper and installing with local dealership. we believe we have it figured out by installing the Rough Country tow hooks

Sponsored

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 1640722278540
I'd buy this tomorrow if I knew it would fit properly with no customization.

Vellicate

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2014 Flex Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I talked to someone at RC today and still no info or eta on the Mod capable version. Waiting game continues

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I talked to someone at RC today and still no info or eta on the Mod capable version. Waiting game continues
It’s been announced. Awaiting current stock to deplete - then, V2 will fit Modular and Capable bumpers.

A question that seems that hasn’t been answered still…do other winches fit?

Also, if one gets in some deep mud - how well do winches handle that (zero experience with a winch, but I’ve come to grips with the fact that I need one). Assuming you’d have to pull the plate, extend the rope fully and spend a good hour with a hose?

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks like a good product for the money, I will probably buy and try it.
Sponsored