Sponsored

2022 Badlands 4-door SAS --- 2.3L with Ford roof rack or 2.7L with aftermarket?

alexkuga

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura, Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi-

Haven't done much off-roading so could use recommendations from more experienced off-roaders/adventurers. We just got back from the Austin Off-Roadeo, which was great and definitely inspired us to hit the trails (whenever we do get our hands on our order - now in MY2022)!

I'm conflicted over whether to get the 2.3L or the 2.7L with the 2022 4-door Badlands with Sasquatch package. We definitely plan on a roof rack as we want to get a roof-top tent, but not sure if it makes sense to go with the 2.7L and wait for aftermarket roof rack options or just go with the 2.3L engine and the Ford rack.

Realistically, we won't be hitting aggressive off-roading very often, despite the absolute blast we had at Off-Roadeo. So don't know if we need the additional horsepower and torque with the 2.7L. Have heard some of the chatter about possible racks for the 4-door SAS 2.7L, but nothing concrete.

Corey, our instructor/guide at Off-Roadeo, said he thought the 2.3L would be more than sufficient. Any thoughts or recommendations would be very appreciated...

Thanks!
Alex
Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I've read, you won't miss the 2.7 unless you're towing a lot or live in the mountains.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I've read, you won't miss the 2.7 unless you're towing a lot or live in the mountains.
[/QUOTE
For what the vehicle is, the 2.3 should be more than adequate for most people most of the time. It's not a race car, it is not a luxury vehicle, it is essentially a mobile toaster and so as Brad said above, unless you are towing heavy items, or feel the need to have more passing power when you are going up a hill, the 2.3 is an awesome engine, oh by the way, there is a bonus. It isn't dropping valves and burning up, nor does it have so many hoses in a cramped space that they are being rubbed/burned open and shooting trani fluid all over people's brand new engines. Definite plus. The 2.7 is an awesome motor, but if you don't need it you don't need it, problems aside, they will get fixed. However, I will say, if you wanted the 2.7, but you are thinking about compromising because you want a roof rack for a tent, that seems short sided. You should get the engine you want and trust that the aftermarket will have a roof rack in about 12 minutes. There is no question that the aftermarket will create one, there are several being worked on. You can add that on very easily, you won't add on the 2.7 if you opt now for the 2.3

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drove both extensively. Get the 2.7. I too want a roof rack for a RTT and super pissed my Badlands cannot get the factory roof rack. Had the 2.3 on order, after driving them it's night and day.
I don't need power but just did not like the 2.3.

Interestingly I loved the 2.3 in the ranger. The Bronco Badlands is just too heavy though.

OP
OP
alexkuga

alexkuga

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura, Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove both extensively. Get the 2.7. I too want a roof rack for a RTT and super pissed my Badlands cannot get the factory roof rack. Had the 2.3 on order, after driving them it's night and day.
I don't need power but just did not like the 2.3.

Interestingly I loved the 2.3 in the ranger. The Bronco Badlands is just too heavy though.
Appreciate the feedback...

Sponsored
OP
OP
alexkuga

alexkuga

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura, Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally put in for the 2.7L for no other reason than I figured bigger was better. The lack of the roof rack option is what threw me. Good to know about the driving experience you had comparing the two. I should have paid more attention while at the Off-Roadeo to note whether we were in a 2.3L or 2.7L.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve driven both and the 2.7 is noticeably more powerful.

JMBGlass

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma/C.O. Badlands 2.7 4Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a build date for my '22 4dr Badlands 2.7, and I too have been bummed about the factory roof rack being prohibited. Has anyone successfully been able to order the factory rack separately through their dealership's parts department? I guess another question is if Ford currently even have any 'spares' to sell that aren't already allocated to the factory builds.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two things. Just buy the OEM roof rack through Ford parts and install it yourself on your 2.7. Second thing. The roof rack is only rated at like 150lbs. I have no idea how anyone is getting a functioning tent up there for anything other than publicity instagram shots lol

ayacht

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Expedition, F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
An update to this thread the only Model SAS with 2.7 that you cannot get a roof rack on is the Badlands. I was at my dealer and he ran every configuration after I could not get it on Badlands and confirmed this. You can even get it one model up on the wildtrack. We assume it is because of the front stabilizer bar disconnect feature. He has reached out to the Bronco team to ask the question but no answer back yet. It is the only logical reason looking at the the different models and it is a weight thing because the 2.3L brings it down below the threshold and allows it. Very frustrating but reality. Also I confirmed with Zroads that their rack you cannot remove the roof panels with it on.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going with the 2.7 and I'll get a roof rack ASAP from the simple logic that it is much easier and cheaper to add a rack than change the engine ;)
Sponsored