First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

'22 Bronco 2dr Manual Sasquatch Badlands Lux in Area 51 (2.3L)
'22 Wrangler 4 door Automatic Sahara in Gobi (2.0L 4 cyl turbo)
Basically the same price.

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco vs. 2022 Wrangler impression after Day 1 BadAssLands
Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
After years (since 1991) of swearing off of manual transmissions my Bronco has changed my mind.
I'm really enjoying shifting gears again.
I think the difference is that the little 4cyl turbo has enough torque that I don't have to wring it out or shift constantly.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I rented a wrangler last week. 2 biggest differences I noticed from my bronco

1) Bronco rides better
2) Jeep windshield is much easier to see out of, I’m 6-0 and red light can be a challenge if I’m in the first spot.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After test driving a Bronco, my '19 JLUR felt cramped inside. Interior room was a big factor in ordering the Bronco, and steering was right behind that. I find that my BadSquatch handles and rides like a Cadillac compared to my Rubicon, even my 4 year old has said that she likes that it is less bouncy!

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After test driving a Bronco, my '19 JLUR felt cramped inside. Interior room was a big factor in ordering the Bronco, and steering was right behind that. I find that my BadSquatch handles and rides like a Cadillac compared to my Rubicon, even my 4 year old has said that she likes that it is less bouncy!
Same, my 11 year old and 8 year old prefer the ride of my Bronco over the Wrangler.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I rented a wrangler last week. 2 biggest differences I noticed from my bronco

1) Bronco rides better
2) Jeep windshield is much easier to see out of, I’m 6-0 and red light can be a challenge if I’m in the first spot.
Here's an answer to your red light problem: At stop select your camera: You will be able to see the light on your screen.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice ride! I’m loving my ‘21 Badlands that I’ve had for 16 months. That’s interesting that your wife’s Sahara cost the same as your Badlands SAS Lux, as the Jeep would seem to be much less equipped (eg, no lockers and lessor suspension, tires and tech)

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's an answer to your red light problem: At stop select your camera: You will be able to see the light on your screen.
Do all bronco trims have cameras? I have a black diamond with the base package.

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco vs. 2022 Wrangler impression after Day 1 BadAssLands
Lol every time I get in my wife’s Jeep I go look Jeep was so cheap they couldn’t figure out how to do automatic window up switch. I get in my Bronco and quick touch the windows up.. and also Stellantis stupid safety nanny’s where if the door isn’t shut all the way and your not buckled in, it safety switches to park 🤦🏻‍♂️. Can’t even move the stupid thing 5 ft real quick.

Freedom5

Badlands
First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Classic mini cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Specs:

Both are great. Where one excels offroad (rocks) the the other excels in whoops and speed desert so to speak. I had wranglers in the past and are fun but the bronco to me is a better vehicle overall.

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And best part is, no death wobble. The wife had a 91 jeep and it didn’t matter what got replaced it got the wobble. Terrifying at highway speed with traffic around you! A pal of mine had a 2018 jeep and the death wobble got so bad it split the transfer case in half!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Do all bronco trims have cameras? I have a black diamond with the base package.
No. Need the the high package or Lux on Badlands. Maybe on others with High or Lux too but I never went that direction.
Sponsored