John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

There's nearly zero chance that he's had 3 bad fuel pump assemblies. There is another problem and would probably take a real mechanic rather than a code-reader to find it. Fat chance these days.
Sponsored

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know I am a new to the site but need to get this out to folks.

I would like to tell you all a little story. I watched the NEW Bronco get announced a couple of years ago and got on the list to get one of these trucks. Fast forward to ordering the vehicle, going and doing the off-rodeo in Moab and experiencing what the vehicle could do. I was thinking to myself this is exciting and can’t wait to get my truck. About one and a half years later we got a 4 door 2022 Bronco Wildtrak.

The wife and I were excited to take it on a trip, so we loaded the car up and went to Durango and Palisades for our birthdays. Was a good trip until we got to Palisades. We went to start the truck and is sputtered and died which was weird. We called the Ford dealership in Grand Junction to see if they could run a diagnostic on it and they told us we can get to in about 2 weeks. The vehicle was still running so we decided to cut our birthday bash short and head home. We get home safely but as soon as we turn off the car it would not start again. Towed it to our local Ford dealership and they took some time to do diagnostic on the vehicle and informed us that the fuel pump module had failed and needed to be replaced. They did the repair, and we got the car back.

Fast forward a month later. We are driving to Costco to get some gas and boom it dies in the Costco parking lot and will not start. We tow it to the closest Ford Dealer. They said they can look at in in about 3 weeks to a month. We have it moved to a dealership closer to home Mike Maroone Ford, within a couple of days they diagnose that the fuel pump module has failed again. We inform them of the last problem, so they dug around and think the issue is the fuel pump but do not know for sure. They recommended we replace the fuel pump and the module this time. They informed us that the fuel pump was on back order, so the vehicle sat in the dealership for a month and a half waiting for the fuel pump. Getting a rental car was another adventure with Ford and the dealership. They eventually got the part, installed it and gave the vehicle back to us. On the way home we decided to go to one of our favorite breweries and celebrate getting the Truck back. We get a beer and drive it home to find the gas tank hanging about 6 inches from the ground. I climb under the vehicle an see that all but two of the bolts holding the tank in was gone. So we towed it back to the dealership and some heated discussions later they fixed this issue.

We got the car back and to test it out we loaded up the truck and headed to Palisades to drink some wine for our anniversary. We get up to the hotel we here staying at and parked and checked in. When we went to move the vehicle, it attempted to start but sputters and dies and will not start again. Again, we load it up on a tow truck and send it to the local Ford dealer. They said it is in line and they are about 30 days out. We are about 200+ miles from home and they cannot look at it for 30 days. We start calling around to see if anyone can help. Not really any help. We call Ford, I was on the phone with Ford for about 4 hours trying to get something done. They said we will transport it to your local dealership for 3500 dollars, I may have cursed a bit at the representative, but we finally got a person to help us and get the car transported to our local dealer.

Currently, the truck now sits at our local dealership, and they said it will be about 5 day for a diagnostic. That is where we are at with this 2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak. We have had the vehicle for about 5 months, and it has sat in a Ford dealership for 3 of those 5 months. This has been a very unreliable vehicle; I cannot imagine if we were on the side of a mountain, and it breaks like what has happened with the fuel pump module. Need to vent this to the world and hopefully someone in Ford will go “hmmm” we may have some quality issue. Thanks for reading if you make it this far.
Holy crap man, that sucks! I just saw this today, but I heard about this yesterday from a mutual friend of ours. I can't offer any advice or help, but dang; I'd be pretty pissed off too. Definitely seems like it would fit the definition for Colorado's lemon law, but seems like you're already looking at that as an option. It's gonna be hard to trust it after that experience.

https://sbg.colorado.gov/sites/sbg/files/DR 2440_1.pdf

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know I am a new to the site but need to get this out to folks.

I would like to tell you all a little story. I watched the NEW Bronco get announced a couple of years ago and got on the list to get one of these trucks. Fast forward to ordering the vehicle, going and doing the off-rodeo in Moab and experiencing what the vehicle could do. I was thinking to myself this is exciting and can’t wait to get my truck. About one and a half years later we got a 4 door 2022 Bronco Wildtrak.

The wife and I were excited to take it on a trip, so we loaded the car up and went to Durango and Palisades for our birthdays. Was a good trip until we got to Palisades. We went to start the truck and is sputtered and died which was weird. We called the Ford dealership in Grand Junction to see if they could run a diagnostic on it and they told us we can get to in about 2 weeks. The vehicle was still running so we decided to cut our birthday bash short and head home. We get home safely but as soon as we turn off the car it would not start again. Towed it to our local Ford dealership and they took some time to do diagnostic on the vehicle and informed us that the fuel pump module had failed and needed to be replaced. They did the repair, and we got the car back.

Fast forward a month later. We are driving to Costco to get some gas and boom it dies in the Costco parking lot and will not start. We tow it to the closest Ford Dealer. They said they can look at in in about 3 weeks to a month. We have it moved to a dealership closer to home Mike Maroone Ford, within a couple of days they diagnose that the fuel pump module has failed again. We inform them of the last problem, so they dug around and think the issue is the fuel pump but do not know for sure. They recommended we replace the fuel pump and the module this time. They informed us that the fuel pump was on back order, so the vehicle sat in the dealership for a month and a half waiting for the fuel pump. Getting a rental car was another adventure with Ford and the dealership. They eventually got the part, installed it and gave the vehicle back to us. On the way home we decided to go to one of our favorite breweries and celebrate getting the Truck back. We get a beer and drive it home to find the gas tank hanging about 6 inches from the ground. I climb under the vehicle an see that all but two of the bolts holding the tank in was gone. So we towed it back to the dealership and some heated discussions later they fixed this issue.

We got the car back and to test it out we loaded up the truck and headed to Palisades to drink some wine for our anniversary. We get up to the hotel we here staying at and parked and checked in. When we went to move the vehicle, it attempted to start but sputters and dies and will not start again. Again, we load it up on a tow truck and send it to the local Ford dealer. They said it is in line and they are about 30 days out. We are about 200+ miles from home and they cannot look at it for 30 days. We start calling around to see if anyone can help. Not really any help. We call Ford, I was on the phone with Ford for about 4 hours trying to get something done. They said we will transport it to your local dealership for 3500 dollars, I may have cursed a bit at the representative, but we finally got a person to help us and get the car transported to our local dealer.

Currently, the truck now sits at our local dealership, and they said it will be about 5 day for a diagnostic. That is where we are at with this 2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak. We have had the vehicle for about 5 months, and it has sat in a Ford dealership for 3 of those 5 months. This has been a very unreliable vehicle; I cannot imagine if we were on the side of a mountain, and it breaks like what has happened with the fuel pump module. Need to vent this to the world and hopefully someone in Ford will go “hmmm” we may have some quality issue. Thanks for reading if you make it this far.
Will you actually be going off-road, where you need the high clearance, skid plates, 4low and all? If not I'd say buy a vehicle designed to excel on pavement.

Bronco is a fine vehicle if getting something out of the off-road capabilities, but otherwise it's a compromise and has some bad features for pavement use. I don't know why some people are driving Broncos all over on pavement, it's one of the last vehicles I'd buy for that usage.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow that's a really sad story. Definitely Lemon Law- but that takes time and in the meantime you don't trust the Bronco anymore.

I have had a similar issue with a 2016 Camaro RS, 8 speed automatic. Bad, shuddering transmission. Back and forth to the dealer, transmission flushes, then they tell me there is no fix. It was drivable yes but the frustration- and watching the tach go up and down with the transmission slipping. Finally got it fixed with going to higher up the dealer chain and a lot of frustration the last time (new torque converter) and by then had had enough, traded it in on a 2017 Mustang GT. That had problems too with piston slap, did not have it long either. Sometimes these things happen.........

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will you actually be going off-road, where you need the high clearance, skid plates, 4low and all? If not I'd say buy a vehicle designed to excel on pavement.

Bronco is a fine vehicle if getting something out of the off-road capabilities, but otherwise it's a compromise and has some bad features for pavement use. I don't know why some people are driving Broncos all over on pavement, it's one of the last vehicles I'd buy for that usage.
If you want a dual purpose vehicle that excels on pavement AND can go off-road the Bronco is the obvious choice. This vehicle was designed for the crowd that wants both.

I drive my BaseSquatch on and off road and it rides as smooth as my 2016 Cadillac CTS on pavement. Yeah the gas mileage sucks compared to the caddy but hey, its a dual-purpose vehicle.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you want a dual purpose vehicle that excels on pavement AND can go off-road the Bronco is the obvious choice. This vehicle was designed for the crowd that wants both.

I drive my BaseSquatch on and off road and it rides as smooth as my 2016 Cadillac CTS on pavement. Yeah the gas mileage sucks compared to the caddy but hey, its a dual-purpose vehicle.
It doesn't excel on pavement, it's got some of the exact opposite attributes a designer would select to excel on pavement.

But yeah otherwise, as I indicated in the earlier post, if the owner is actually using the off-road functionality, then sure it makes sense. Like you say as a dual use vehicle. The owner is getting something off-road from the pavement negatives.

But as a pavement only vehicle, and especially if buying to drive thousands of miles only on pavement, it's a dubious choice.

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It doesn't excel on pavement, it's got some of the exact opposite attributes a designer would select to excel on pavement.

But yeah otherwise, as I indicated in the earlier post, if the owner is actually using the off-road functionality, then sure it makes sense. Like you say as a dual use vehicle. The owner is getting something off-road from the pavement negatives.

But as a pavement only vehicle, and especially if buying to drive thousands of miles only on pavement, it's a dubious choice.
Guess I am going to be in for a Dubious choice-cause mine will be a pavement only rig.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Define "pavement excellence".

Does it corner on a dime? Debatable. My 2-door doesn't do too bad.
Does it nosedive when braking? Sure.
Does it have some road noise? Yea, but a simple audio upgrade will fix that.. ;)

Is it smoother than a baby's ass on the freeway? Hell yes.

"Dubious choice" is a bit much. 90-95% 4x4 owners never touch dirt. My buddy just dropped 75k on a Gladiator it will never touch dirt. Personally that's insane to me but to each their own. If they like the look of a 4X4 (Jeep or Ford) and just want to mall crawl, the Bronco and its IFS is a great choice.

My definition of dubious is my neighbor dropping 200K on a Lambo Urus. :p

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Where do I start withthis response.

ok,guess im in the dubious choice crowd. Disagree with most of your response. Why then does anyone buy a truck when there are much better choices for driving on pavement when they use the bed once or twice a yr and tow never. Because they love the vehicle they chose and are ok with the compromise.

OP
OP

Starone

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette Grand Sport, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree about the lemon, but really guys, the problem he's having is sort of a known issue and just has to do with bad quality fuel pumps.

I guess what I'm saying is, I would lemon a vehicle that was plagued with different problems over and over or some sort of gremlin in the wiring that can't be traced. But replace the fuel pump and the fuel module, get ford to compensate for something (extended warranty maybe)... And continue to go on But maybe stay close to home for a bit.

I mean realistically, how many times can a single vehicle go through a fuel pump?

Now if you guys think that there's something wrong with the electronics and it's frying the pumps and modules then that's one thing.

I know one guy said that the fuel pump went out and it caused the module to burn up. In the OP first issue sound like the only replaced one part and not both.
Yeah..I normally would agree with you, but after 3 modules and 2 fuel pumps later and the tech shrugging and saying do not know what is going on with the truck with a bit over 3000 miles, there is something more going on.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Starone

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

We had plans for the alpine loop, Black Bear in Ouray among other trails. One of my favorite places in Colorado, did 90% fo the trails in my Wrangler. We had a trip planned for Moab but canceled all of them due to the truck not running long enough to even make it to any of them. We were excited to take it offroad. But this statement really does not make much sense on the issues it is having??

OP
OP

Starone

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Lonescout

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What a nightmare

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope.. been in the shop 40+ days. Not much urgency from Ford or the dealer. Wiring harness is the next attempt to fix.
Which dealership? What “brand” and octane of gas did you use in it? Run it really empty much? Think someone may have intentionally contaminated the fuel? Thanks
Sponsored