broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So when I was at KOH I talked to some people at Ford who told me the lack of roof rack on 4D Sasquatch has nothing to do with GVWR like some people thought, but had to do with the center of gravity. Which makes sense because a 33in Badlands with roof rack has a worst GVWR/payload than let’s say a Big Bend with Sasquatch.

They said the hard top would be re-designed for 2022 which would allow Sasquatch to pass the roll test certification with ok score.
It created a storm when I reported that here.

Today I was at an outdoor event with one of the off road bronco build and display, and one guy told me the exact same thing.

Having a Badlands Sasquatch on order I am quite worried if the top is changing. It’s very frustrating that Ford does not tell us what officially makes the 2022 Sasquatch eligible for a roof rack.
They were very clear however that if you want a rack on your Sasquatch you should wait 2022. If it was a change in the rack design, but not the hardtop, they would not have said that (then you could just buy the 2021 Sasquatch and put the new 2022 rack on it). So it all lines up together.

Of course there will be after market options. But most aftermarket options block the top from being removed and require drilling in the top which I do not want to do.

At this point I am considering getting a 33” Badlands, or wait for a 2022.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would love to see the Bronco test! Maybe the roof is literally torn off for rack with max load.

Last edited:

SaudiBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, that is a good news by the way. If the issue is related to the hard top then I can upgrade it sometime in the future. But if it's something related to the body frame or the vehicle's base then I will need to get a new Bronco!
Either way, I don't see the roof racks are a serious issue for the Sas Broncos. I think Ford only wants to meet safety standards which are usually a bit strict.
That's my thought, and roof racks will be installed right away when I get my Sas Badlands.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good info.

I think the thing to remember is that Ford just wont sell you a roof rack on certain MY21 builds... that doesn’t mean you can’t attach one.

If you get a Squatch in MY21, even if they redesign the roof/rack for MY22… you could still conceivably pick up the MY21 rack from the parts counter (or second hand) and attach it to your MY21 squatch.

I’m curious to see what they could change that would allow it to pass an existing CG / rollover problem… lower to the body? Rated for less weight? (Though they could just say that now.)

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well regarding the last two replies, yeah you could if only the roof rack was orderable at the dealer but it’s not. Nobody has been able to have a dealer order one for them.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well regarding the last two replies, yeah you could if only the roof rack was orderable at the dealer but it’s not. Nobody has been able to have a dealer order one for them.
Right, because it’s a factory “part”… only accessories are orderable at this point.

Same way you can’t yet order a set of BL wheels for your OB, or a MIC top for your soft top.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So when I was at KOH I talked to some people at Ford who told me the lack of roof rack on 4D Sasquatch has nothing to do with GVWR like some people thought, but had to do with the center of gravity. Which makes sense because a 33in Badlands with roof rack has a worst GVWR/payload than let’s say a Big Bend with Sasquatch.

They said the hard top would be re-designed for 2022 which would allow Sasquatch to pass the roll test certification with ok score.
It created a storm when I reported that here.

Today I was at an outdoor event with one of the off road bronco build and display, and one guy told me the exact same thing.

Having a Badlands Sasquatch on order I am quite worried if the top is changing. It’s very frustrating that Ford does not tell us what officially makes the 2022 Sasquatch eligible for a roof rack.
They were very clear however that if you want a rack on your Sasquatch you should wait 2022. If it was a change in the rack design, but not the hardtop, they would not have said that (then you could just buy the 2021 Sasquatch and put the new 2022 rack on it). So it all lines up together.

Of course there will be after market options. But most aftermarket options block the top from being removed and require drilling in the top which I do not want to do.

At this point I am considering getting a 33” Badlands, or wait for a 2022.
Do you suspect that the CoG is higher or lower on the 2 door?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please let this myth die here. Enough misinformation already. The roof racks are allowed on 2 door SAS models. They are the same height as the 4-door, same track, so any center of gravity issues would be identical. Six months or so ago it was confirmed by Ford that the accessories not allowed were due to GVWR limitations, Would actually be worse on the 2-door as the frame would weigh Less and raise cog, feel free to go search the threads out.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Please let this myth die here. Enough misinformation already. The roof racks are allowed on 2 door SAS models. They are the same height as the 4-door, same track, so any center of gravity issues would be identical. Six months or so ago it was confirmed by Ford that the accessories not allowed were due to GVWR limitations, feel free to go search them out.
Don't you realize that it is almost a full year since the reveal? 🤷 We need to rehash all of the speculation again. Just like the seasons repeat every year. 🧘

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please let this myth die here. Enough misinformation already. The roof racks are allowed on 2 door SAS models. They are the same height as the 4-door, same track, so any center of gravity issues would be identical. Six months or so ago it was confirmed by Ford that the accessories not allowed were due to GVWR limitations, Would actually be worse on the 2-door as the frame would weigh Less and raise cog, feel free to go search the threads out.
if it’s a myth why different people from Ford on 2 separate events, including one who was involved in the Bronco development would say that??
Not in their interest at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right, because it’s a factory “part”… only accessories are orderable at this point.

Same way you can’t yet order a set of BL wheels for your OB, or a MIC top for your soft top.
So I guess the question is when will factory parts be orderable? I want to order the factory rack and put it on my 2.7 Badlands.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I guess the question is when will factory parts be orderable? I want to order the factory rack and put it on my 2.7 Badlands.
The *second* those things become orderable this forum will know first.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford had previously stated they were making changes to bolt patterns for 22 to allow for roof racks on BL and Sas.

It was never made clear how much of that was a redesign of the top itself. And with everything involving the tops, no telling at this point.

Don't think there's any advantage to switching to a BL, as the BL with 2.7 has the same restrictions as the Sas.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The *second* those things become orderable this forum will know first.
Yes, we will know even before Ford does.

I’m not even sure if I was kidding when I typed that…

StyleGuy

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE, Jaguar F-Pace, GMC Denali XL
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My theory is that they’re redesigning the rails on the 4 door. It looks like they’re using the same rails for both 2 and 4 doors now. On the 4 door they attach using the front location on the rear clamshell leaving the rear location open. I think they’re going to make them longer and use the rear roof attachment or perhaps both locations on the clamshell. I can’t see them redesigning the entire roof when they could just change the rails especially considering how few people will actually purchase the roof rack anyway.
Sponsored