Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have any inside information on how this is going to work? I believe I read that Webasto lost their contract, but appear to still be producing them in low quantities and that a new vendor will come on at some point in the future? What is the inside scoop on mass availability of hardtop for 2022 orders?
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is too much ground to cover. I'd suggest that you start browsing the forum to bring yourself up to speed. Short version...Webasto is still producing the MIC. The updated version will be produced 'soon'. All other MIC reservations will be MY22, except for those on Dirt Mountain.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does anyone have any inside information on how this is going to work? I believe I read that Webasto lost their contract, but appear to still be producing them in low quantities and that a new vendor will come on at some point in the future? What is the inside scoop on mass availability of hardtop for 2022 orders?
I thought I read - or rumor was - Webasto lost the contract and was making 12000 more tops then they're done. That was never confirmed that I saw by premierdrum or anyone else.

What has been confirmed is Ford is changing the process for the MIC, adding a thicker outer layer, and wrapping the edges (which requires additional process steps / equipment). Ford said this in a Q&A I believe.

My best guess is Webasto has the improved MIC top production for now. Otherwise, why would Ford be providing the equipment to them for the extra process step?

Premierdrum did say the Mod top for 2023 is now with a different supplier. But that is beyond the question you asked.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The contract Webasto lost was for the MOD tops. The MIC top scenario is still playing out now on design 2.0

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought I read - or rumor was - Webasto lost the contract and was making 12000 more tops then they're done. That was never confirmed that I saw by premierdrum or anyone else.

What has been confirmed is Ford is changing the process for the MIC, adding a thicker outer layer, and wrapping the edges (which requires additional process steps / equipment). Ford said this in a Q&A I believe.

My best guess is Webasto has the improved MIC top production for now. Otherwise, why would Ford be providing the equipment to them for the extra process step?

Premierdrum did say the Mod top for 2023 is now with a different supplier. But that is beyond the question you asked.
Probably a major change in hardtop design or transition to a different supplier, would not be feasible in a shorter time frame. So for now it's Webasto or the highway.

A key thing will be how well the fixes address the current hardtop shortcomings. Are they solid or more bandaid approaches. In particular how will it hold up over time in the long term. For one thing, I'd want to see that the new rolled edges are robust and fully sealed.

Sponsored

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is too much ground to cover. I'd suggest that you start browsing the forum to bring yourself up to speed. Short version...Webasto is still producing the MIC. The updated version will be produced 'soon'. All other MIC reservations will be MY22, except for those on Dirt Mountain.
Just an addendum to your statement, it's not just the orders on Dirt Mountain. First Editions and orders with a VIN that have been scheduled but not produced will also be built, according to Ford. They're "Group 3".

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Webasto supposedly lost the MOD top contract. MIC tops will continue to be produced by Webasto for the foreseeable future and Webasto announced they're building a second plant in order to fulfill the MIC top demand so I suspect MIC top production will continue to not meet demand throughout 2022.

OP
OP
Altitude

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wondering if I should plan on ordering a soft top next month when 2022 order banks open for my October 2020 reservation to have a better chance of getting one by July 2022, or if I could still have a decent chance to get a hard top by then.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Short answer... based on the 2022 WildTrak getting a soft top standard in the 4 door... It's not going to work out well for anyone wanting a hardtop before Q3 2022. I would be surprised if 2 door and 4 door hardtops are not listed as "late availability". Which in FordSpeak means you aren't likely to get it this year and you might be lucky to get it next year.
Sponsored