Sponsored

2023 MIC Hardtop bubbling and peeling - Repair options? (Warranty claim denied)

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like the front center corner of the drivers panel. Seems like it would have been hard to miss on a new dealer walk around, but in the new Bronco excitement of taking possession, certainly possible….

Don’t know where you live in Texas, but if it’s near the coast, you might try to find a fiberglass (as in boat) repair guy. Check around any large marina by word of mouth. Generally Hispanic, I have seen some amazing undetectable fiberglass/gel coat repair work.

I received my Bronco unwashed (at my request) and immediately hand washed it when I got home ( the next day?). That’s a great way to discover these cosmetic issues quickly, not 2 or 3 weeks later.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s hard like the rest of the top, not rubbery. It does look melted. Bought new, not used. Picked at it a bit more- feel like it’s going beneath the level intended surface line so stopped that, but don’t feel that it’s reached the core.
That bites, so it either ate/fused into the surface, or indeed came up from underneath or was an existing surface defect. :(

Only other DIY thing I can think of is careful application if heat, to see if that allows removal (assuming it's not already going through the surface as it seems). Chemicals are another option, but what might that do to the top surface.

Xjeepowner

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Once you do anything to it it’s yours so I would still try to get Ford to fix it. Send pictures to Ford start posting pictures on every web site you can if Ford won’t fix it. The internet is the most powerful tool a consumer has.
I‘m disgusted when I keep hearing the warranty is denied.
Good luck.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No way in hell this isn’t a warranty issue. All the trouble they have had with this top, there is no way it isn’t on them.

Sponsored

Alfabeast

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Giulia Q4 Sport Ti, 1983 Alfa GTV6 2.5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone seen this before? Noticed this last week took to 3 ford dealerships before anyone would agree to address it with Ford. Warranty denied. No explanation other than appears to be from exterior. Only option for repair is full replacement of the panel $1900 quote.

I assumed it was a manufacturing issue as it looked so odd to me, but the response has been no it's not a warranty issue but we don't know what it is or what could have caused it.

Anyone successfully repaired minor damage to their hard top?
IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg
I am familiar with that manufacturing process. They may have stacked the part after it came out of the mold and the top picked up that "artifact" from another top and it fused on. Try icing that top part and see if you can lift it off. Another easy fix is to get a foam cutter and slice the extra stuff off. Find something metal that is close to that stipple pattern. Heat the top and your tool carefully with a heat gun or hair dryer and then emboss the top with it.

Your dealer and ford are selling a raft of BS - that is indeed a manufacturing defect.

Here's the foam knife link, but yeah they should make it right for you instead of you trying to fix it.

Amazon.com: GOCHANGE 3 in 1 Foam Cutter Electric Cutting Machine Pen Tools Kit, 100-240V / 18W Styrofoam Cutting Pen with Electronic Voltage Transformer Adaptor

OP
OP
DJK7

DJK7

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for this insight! I've appealed again, hoping Ford will make this right.

I am familiar with that manufacturing process. They may have stacked the part after it came out of the mold and the top picked up that "artifact" from another top and it fused on. Try icing that top part and see if you can lift it off. Another easy fix is to get a foam cutter and slice the extra stuff off. Find something metal that is close to that stipple pattern. Heat the top and your tool carefully with a heat gun or hair dryer and then emboss the top with it.

Your dealer and ford are selling a raft of BS - that is indeed a manufacturing defect.

Here's the foam knife link, but yeah they should make it right for you instead of you trying to fix it.

Amazon.com: GOCHANGE 3 in 1 Foam Cutter Electric Cutting Machine Pen Tools Kit, 100-240V / 18W Styrofoam Cutting Pen with Electronic Voltage Transformer Adaptor

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure looks like a blob of sealer on there that should come off.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow the quality control let that slip thru. Light sand maybe? Looks like it might chip off?
Process or Sytem Error. Highly doubt These parts are going through safe launch, safe launch last 90 days after PPAP. This is a system or Process error. They need to fix the Process not implement inspection, inspection would be QC.

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would be going ape shit. That is def a warranty/production defect. How in gods name could it not be.

I have a lawyer buddy. He is a litigator. A letter from a lawyer is a very scary thing sometimes.
Sponsored