Sponsored

2023 new bronco big bend hard top V6: Worth it at sticker?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@MNBigfoot , @prospectfour , @Spooled

You all can make all the wise cracks you want about me and my build selection of 3.73 and no locker, towing my boat daily and 37's. But in reality all you are doing is showing everyone else you all have no clue about gear selection and how improper gear selection can over work your vehicle's engine and drive train. I can joke with the best of them, I give it and I am man enough to take it too. But truth be told I am correct in my selections.

1st off, I've been around a lot of years. Have tons of experience 4x4ing and the like. I've owned every generation of Bronco multiple fold, and none built the same. But at my age and after 23yrs military retired, I am past the stage of going out and tearing shit up, week in and week out. My body is wore out jumping from planes and a few war efforts. I'm at a point in my life that after nearly 30yrs of marriage, my wife and I enjoy relaxation by fishing daily, camping and an off-road excursion here and there. But my Bronco is built around my life style.

The gears I had to choose from in my build 3.73, 4.27, 4.46 and 4.70. The difference is how many rotations the ring gear and axle rotate per 1 rotation of tire and payload capabilities With that said my engine works less with my 3.73's vs the other 3 gears. My acceleration towing or not is quicker than other 3 gears. Fuel economy is greater than the 3 other gears. I can also cruise at higher speeds with less RPM than the other 3 gears. Even with my 37's and having my computer recalibrated for 37's vs my stock 32's, I'm still fuel efficient. My transmission shifts at its proper points as if I was running 32's. My tongue wt and total wt is not a concern. With having a longer trailer tongue allows for tongue wt to be pushed back reducing my overall tongue wt. Furthermore I live in Florida, we are relatively a flat state, I have no worries of having to climb steep hills and mountains with my boat or my pop-up camper.

Now, if I had the full intention of going off-road every weekend, then I would of selected lockers and lower gears. Because I would need it for better traction, creeping and crawling. Versus slippage and traction issues with faster acceleration with higher gears. The strength needed to get over obstacles and what have you.

A lot of folks on here only know what others type, due to age and inexperience. They want to build a Bronco just like others are or done. But in fact copying others who do extreme or higher than moderate off-roading usually is overkill for their limited or here or there wheeling. And can be counterintuitive to there actual needs.

If you think I'm wrong, breakdown the 10spd transmission final gears with 3.73 vs the three other gear options and look at the final drive numbers. 3.73 is optimal for my needs.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

You all can make all the wise cracks you want about me and my build selection of 3.73 and no locker, towing my boat daily and 37's. But in reality all you are doing is showing everyone else you all have no clue about gear selection and how improper gear selection can over work your vehicle's engine and drive train. I can joke with the best of them, I give it and I am man enough to take it too. But truth be told I am correct in my selections.

1st off, I've been around a lot of years. Have tons of experience 4x4ing and the like. I've owned every generation of Bronco multiple fold, and none built the same. But at my age and after 23yrs military retired, I am past the stage of going out and tearing shit up, week in and week out. My body is wore out jumping from planes and a few war efforts. I'm at a point in my life that after nearly 30yrs of marriage, my wife and I enjoy relaxation by fishing daily, camping and an off-road excursion here and there. But my Bronco is built around my life style.

The gears I had to choose from in my build 3.73, 4.27, 4.46 and 4.70. The difference is how many rotations the ring gear and axle rotate per 1 rotation of tire and payload capabilities With that said my engine works less with my 3.73's vs the other 3 gears. My acceleration towing or not is quicker than other 3 gears. Fuel economy is greater than the 3 other gears. I can also cruise at higher speeds with less RPM than the other 3 gears. Even with my 37's and having my computer recalibrated for 37's vs my stock 32's, I'm still fuel efficient. My transmission shifts at its proper points as if I was running 32's. My tongue wt and total wt is not a concern. With having a longer trailer tongue allows for tongue wt to be pushed back reducing my overall tongue wt. Furthermore I live in Florida, we are relatively a flat state, I have no worries of having to climb steep hills and mountains with my boat or my pop-up camper.

Now, if I had the full intention of going off-road every weekend, then I would of selected lockers and lower gears. Because I would need it for better traction, creeping and crawling. Versus slippage and traction issues with faster acceleration with higher gears. The strength needed to get over obstacles and what have you.

A lot of folks on here only know what others type, due to age and inexperience. They want to build a Bronco just like others are or done. But in fact copying others who do extreme or higher than moderate off-roading usually is overkill for their limited or here or there wheeling. And can be counterintuitive to there actual needs.

If you think I'm wrong, breakdown the 10spd transmission final gears with 3.73 vs the three other gear options and look at the final drive numbers. 3.73 is optimal for my needs.
Well, I would disagree with you on a few points, but relatively minor ones...

3.73 gears are not going to accelerate the vehicle faster than 4.27, 4.46, or 4.7 gears, it just won't.

Lower rpms at highway speeds are not necessarily a good thing, because as the engine gets away from its peak volumetric efficiency, more fuel is wasted (which is more likely to wash down the cylinder walls), which in turn will contaminate the oil more quickly, potentially leading to more engine wear.

Those are minor things though.

What's the fuel economy you are seeing at freeway speeds? With my 4.27 gears, I can manage 22.5+ MPH at over 75 MPH sustained (through the Texas Hill Country - 1900' total altitude gain).

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No.

It's simple math.

Old tire size/new tire size X Stock Gear Ratio = Effective Gear Ratio

Congrats on the 3.22 effective gear ratio you now have.

You can switch the old and new tire size and it will give you what you should have which is 4.31's

Damn, that's pretty close to the 4.27's that are optional.

By your logic, Ford wasted million of dollars on R&D along with every other OEM that builds offroad vehicles or offers towing packages with appropriate gear ratio's. They should have hired you since 3.73's are optimal. 🤡

freebob

Base
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is the 3.73 gearing an issue if using this as a daily driver and not much (if any) off road use?
The gears are ok and so is the open diff for a daily driver. My wifes bronco is that way and its fine.Seem to handle the michigan roads with out a problem.But I love the 4 auto in my bronco ..The lockers do come in handy removing trees and helping people that get stuck..
Sponsored