Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2 door. Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took delivery Friday. I was driving around this weekend and getting around 12 MPG which I really didn't care since I was just showing off my Bronco to anyone and everyone. But I took my normal commute this morning and I'm pretty happy with the mileage. 27.4 mpg for a 46.6 mile trip. I was in ECO mode on cruise control at around 63-67 mph(287+Garden State pkwy) so I barely hit the gas but still. If I can get over 20 on my commute I can live with that. Luckily I only commute a few days a week. I did realize right before I got to work I didn't have the AC on so that will probably have an effect.

2.3 engine.

20220516_082812.jpg

20220515_132055.jpg
Sponsored

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In before the "the dash computer isn't accurate" crowd takes over.

Regardless, being in that ballpark is pretty good! 60's is the sweet spot for my 2.7. Of course, the 35's kill my chances of seeing 20+.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Regardless, being in that ballpark is pretty good! 60's is the sweet spot for my 2.7. Of course, the 35's kill my chances of seeing 20+.
Agreed. I always think it’s funny that dash computers can never be remotely trusted, but random gas pumps are considered absolute precision.

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Perhaps I’m calculating it incorrectly or something but I’ve never seen my stock OBX report trip fuel economy greater than 17.7 MPG. That’s for commutes and highway travel with cruise control largely locked to 65-75mph.

🤷‍♀️

Sponsored

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. I always think it’s funny that dash computers can never be remotely trusted, but random gas pumps are considered absolute precision.
Gas pumps are regulated for accurate flow volume so consumers aren't pilfered. So, doing back of the napkin math does have at least some element of trust there.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gas pumps are regulated for accurate flow volume so consumers aren't pilfered. So, doing back of the napkin math does have at least some element of trust there.
Not to mention that the "gallons" you are paying for is what the pump is telling you it puts in. Doesn't do much having a computer which has no accuracy requirement tell you one thing that doesn't align with the actual gallons being used.... And for what it is worth, if one has doubts about the accuracy of one's random gas station pump, it has been known that sometimes fuel economy differs between stations....that could be gas quality or one station may be cheating their "gallons".

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's definitely close enough to know he's getting great mileage. I've never had a modern Ford that was off by more than 1 mpg.

RedolentSurge

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Perhaps I’m calculating it incorrectly or something but I’ve never seen my stock OBX report trip fuel economy greater than 17.7 MPG. That’s for commutes and highway travel with cruise control largely locked to 65-75mph.

🤷‍♀️
I have a stock 2.3 auto OBX. From south of Boston to Westchester, NY, and back, about 440 miles, ACC set at 70 MPH, I averaged around 25, per the trip computer.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow 27 MPG is great. The lighter 2 door, 2.3 engine and not having 35" tires all help. Also a lot is to do with how you drive, temperature, the roads, AC on, off, etc.

I am very pleased with my new 2 door Basesquatch with the 2.7. I am averaging close to 21 MPG driving around town and back and forth to work 2 times. Taking it easy on it during break in but slightly pushed it a couple of times. And it accelerates quickly with very light throttle pressure. Mostly back roads though going 45-55, temperature is 65-90 degrees, windows down, AC off and just me or me and my wife in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
DeBo

DeBo

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2 door. Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, when did you reset the trip computer?
I reset it right after I dropped my son off at school, so mostly highway. The ride home was 24 mpg. I reset when I left work and had a little bit more stop and go since I took a slightly different route but 24 is not bad either. And I had the AC on this time lol! edit: I drove home in Normal mode

RichL

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice, I've gotten 25+ with mine, yes around 63mph is a nice zone. So if you are steady state and just crusing. and maybe not up hill too this may be possible. Over time it comes down a little after you average your around town driving though. Great post.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
poorly regulated, at best. And if you've ever done any work with government agencies then you already know the bar isn't set very high. Plus, there is a big difference between the volume of fuel versus its energy potential at one temperature versus another. Then there's altitude (atmospheric pressure) variation... gas expands and contracts like crazy. Gas pumps *do not* adjust to those variations. They are regulated to a yearly average, not to the conditions when you are pumping.

My point is just that it's funny to see people get so worked up over such a non-issue, and when they do they always assume the gas pumps are gospel. When they definitely are not. Differences between the two always get blamed on the vehicle when the truth is likely that the blame should be shared with the pump.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

poorly regulated, at best. And if you've ever done any work with government agencies then you already know the bar isn't set very high. Plus, there is a big difference between the volume of fuel versus its energy potential at one temperature versus another. Then there's altitude (atmospheric pressure) variation... gas expands and contracts like crazy. Gas pumps *do not* adjust to those variations. They are regulated to a yearly average, not to the conditions when you are pumping.

My point is just that it's funny to see people get so worked up over such a non-issue, and when they do they always assume the gas pumps are gospel. When they definitely are not. Differences between the two always get blamed on the vehicle when the truth is likely that the blame should be shared with the pump.
Totally agree. I simply was arguing not to write-off pump volume all together. Both are equally (in)accurate gauges. The more data points in a set the better... the best measures are done on frequent and plentiful fil-ups. I track fuel consumption, cost/ml, MPG, for every car i own for as long as I've owned them. It's a great tool to catch deviating data points that could translate to a problem with the car (knock on wood, hasn't happened yet).

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ecoboost engines are weird. My wife's F150 will get 21 on the freeway, and 27 on main (section line) city streets. (where you can set your cruise control to 50).

Soon as you get any stop/go traffic it goes down to around 18, and the computer shows the "instantaneous mileage" while merging onto the freeway as 5 or 6.

And then in moderate city traffic, you get your best mileage in sport mode, because it holds the gears longer, so uses less boost.

Ecoboost engines are weird. I'm just hoping I can manage 20-22 in my 2 Door Base if Ford ever builds it.
Sponsored