Sponsored

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, I bought BFG KO2's 37x12.50x17 in LRC for my Wrangler. They were the tires on the "new" Ford Raptor which was built for high-speed desert running. I did some hard rock crawling and never had a puncture. Now, the BFG's sucked in 50 other ways, but LRC did not seem to be a factor in tire punctures.
See this video on that point regarding K02s:

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Weight weenies (me included) beware of manufacturers data....

I weighed my current 37 K02s between 70 and 73 lb with a very accurate scale. Spec. is 65 lb! That's a big difference, as much as 12%. It's way more than I expected.

This is especially impactful in the moment of inertia of the wheel assembly since the tire is far (sidewall) and furthest (tread) from the rotation axis. This it has a large effect on acceleration performance, in manh cases moreso than rim choice. Unsprung weight certainly matters too, but you take both a mass and inertia hit in regards to acceleration. Mass is the only hit for suspension performance.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I weighed my current 37 K02s between 70 and 73 lb with a very accurate scale. Spec. is 65 lb! That's a big difference, as much as 12%. It's way more than I expected.

This is especially impactful in the moment of inertia of the wheel assembly since the tire is far (sidewall) and furthest (tread) from the rotation axis. This it has a large effect on acceleration performance, in manh cases moreso than rim choice. Unsprung weight certainly matters too, but you take both a mass and inertia hit in regards to acceleration. Mass is the only hit for suspension performance.
Are those Load Range C or Load Range D? My Load Range C 37x12.50x17 KO2's weighed 64.7 pounds exactly. I weighed all 4 of them and they were within one-tenth difference.

70 or 73 pounds is indicative of LRD.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Here is the review that I did:

Vehicle = 2019 JLUR with 3.6L, ZF8, & 5.13 Gearing
Empty Weight = 5700 pounds
Lift = 3.5" MC Game Changer
Shocks = 2.5" Fox DSC
Wheels = Icon Alpha; 17x8.5 with 0 offset/4.75" backspace

Tire = BF Goodrich KO2 A/T
Size = 37x12.50x17
Load Range = C
Inflated diameter (Unloaded) = 35.75" (@31 PSI)
Inflated diameter (Loaded) = 35.375" (@31 PSI)
Tread Depth = 15/32" (0 miles)
Tread Depth = 12/32" (35K miles)
Maintenance = 5 tire rotation and balance every 5K miles (more frequent balancing needed as they wear)

Experience:

On-Road (Good--when new):

- They will not stay balanced as they wear (at least not for long), more and more weight is needed to balance them and they do not stay balanced as long as other tires have. Rebalancing has been needed between rotations (Discount Tire - Road Force)
- They begin to lose their grip in the rain and snow after about 20-25K miles. I had to drive from Denver to Colorado Springs during the last big snowstorm (speed was greatly reduced due to the conditions) and they are all over the place. They have a 3 peak snow rating, but as they wear effectiveness is reduced on the highway and they will slide in the rain much faster than other tires.
- They are quiet; probably the quietest tire I have had except for Michelin LTX AT2's on my trucks.

Off-road (Jack of all trades and master of none--except maybe powdery snow):

- They work reasonably well in the snow, I have gone through really deep powdery snow and they handled it just fine.
- Loose, deep dry sand will typically find you close to stuck more often than not, wet sand is managed reasonably well.
- Thick clay based mud will find you stuck and flexing your winch muscles. The tread design does not clear sticky mud and you will find they become 4 slicks with zero grip in short order.
- Watery mud is cleared reasonably well, but they are no match for a true M/T.
- They handle rocks "ok", but they will slip and drag you out of your line on side angled inclines and declines.

Noise = 10 (even after 35K miles)
Wear = 9 (even with the weight of my JLUR)
Ride = 7 (9 at first; 4 after 35K miles)
Dry = 9 (even after 35K miles)
Wet = 6 (7 new; 4 after 35K miles)
Snow = 6 (8 off-road--even after 35K miles; 4 on-road after 35K miles)
Mud = 4 (2 in clay/heavy mud; 5 in all other mud)
Sand = 6 (4 in deep dry sand; 8 in wet sand)
Trail = 6 (they can slip in rocks on inclines and declines)
Look = 5 (nothing aggressive or sexy here)
Overall = 6.8
Would I buy again? = No (as a jack of all trades and master of none (except noise and perhaps wear) they are too expensive for what you are getting)

TN_Kid

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2022) 2.7 Badlands Sas, 4D, Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great work @CarbonSteel and much appreciated (and perfect timing) as I am currently on the new tires hunt and compiling my own list of tire specs for comparison like this is exhausting!

There is only one set of tires I didn't see that I'm comparing against this master list (since you added the Nitto Recon Grapplers):

Toyo Open Country R/T "Trail" - (45K Warranty)

35 - E - TD: 17 - D: 34.5 - W: 12.5 - 67lbs
Revs per Mile - 602 / Max Load: 3640

315 - D - TD: 17 - D: 34.4 - W: 12.7 - 68lbs
Revs per Mile - 604 / Max Load: 3195

Side Note:

There is one other specification that I wish manufaturers would clearly list for their tires regardless of the load range - whether or not they have a 2 or 3-ply sidewall

An example of this is the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 35X12.50R17LT. They are "D" rated so some might assume since It's not "E" rated that it only has 2-Ply sidewalls but sure enough, it has 3-Ply (which makes sense when you consider the weight of these tires).

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Are those Load Range C or Load Range D? My Load Range C 37x12.50x17 KO2's weighed 64.7 pounds exactly. I weighed all 4 of them and they were within one-tenth difference.

70 or 73 pounds is indicative of LRD.
They are C, OEM tires.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They are C, OEM tires.
Strange. I bought mine aftermarket, but as with most tires, there is always a difference between OEM and aftermarket for the exact same tire.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great work @CarbonSteel and much appreciated (and perfect timing) as I am currently on the new tires hunt and compiling my own list of tire specs for comparison like this is exhausting!

There is only one set of tires I didn't see that I'm comparing against this master list (since you added the Nitto Recon Grapplers):

Toyo Open Country R/T "Trail" - (45K Warranty)

35 - E - TD: 17 - D: 34.5 - W: 12.5 - 67lbs
Revs per Mile - 602 / Max Load: 3640

315 - D - TD: 17 - D: 34.4 - W: 12.7 - 68lbs
Revs per Mile - 604 / Max Load: 3195

Side Note:

There is one other specification that I wish manufaturers would clearly list for their tires regardless of the load range - whether or not they have a 2 or 3-ply sidewall

An example of this is the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 35X12.50R17LT. They are "D" rated so some might assume since It's not "E" rated that it only has 2-Ply sidewalls but sure enough, it has 3-Ply (which makes sense when you consider the weight of these tires).
Added; also froze the top row so that you do not lose the main header as you scroll.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Spoken like a true cyclist!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here are 3 spreadsheets with various tires that I put together in 2021. Pricing is likely dated and there may be newer versions, but hopefully this may help someone.

Edited to have the OEM Goodyear Territory MT as the baseline tire.

The sheets have various tabs where the data is sorted in different ways.

Link to 35" Tire Comparison

Link to 37" Tire Comparison

Link to 40" Tire Comparison
your spread sheet is awesome question and i understand its opinion

VersaTyre MXT HD 36x12.5x17 are e rated i have c now will i hate the ride or just air down ...most of the tires seem d or e

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
your spread sheet is awesome question and i understand its opinion

VersaTyre MXT HD 36x12.5x17 are e rated i have c now will i hate the ride or just air down ...most of the tires seem d or e
E rated tires typically have 10 ply belts and because of that you can only air down so much to compensate for the stiffness. You will notice a difference going from C to E.

With that said, I have a set of Kanati Trail Hogs in LRE and they rode only a little stiffer as the Falken Wildpeak MT in LRC they replaced on my old JLUR.

It just depends, but I would suspect that IFS will help too.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
E rated tires typically have 10 ply belts and because of that you can only air down so much to compensate for the stiffness. You will notice a difference going from C to E.

With that said, I have a set of Kanati Trail Hogs in LRE and they rode only a little stiffer as the Falken Wildpeak MT in LRC they replaced on my old JLUR.

It just depends, but I would suspect that IFS will help too.
i am very intrested in the 36" as its bigger then the 35" and wont rub like most 37" lol
ill have to deal with ride for look i guess

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i am very intrested in the 36" as its bigger then the 35" and wont rub like most 37" lol
ill have to deal with ride for look i guess
It may not be as bad as you think. I would air them to 33-34PSI and see how they ride. Given they are 36", the sidewalls will be a bit taller which should give a little more flex.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

so i dont see an issue with going c to d rated for tuffness reasons but e rated maybe over kill ,,,i just love the 36" tween size ..oh well lol
Sponsored