John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It seems to me some of the GOAT modes changes the way power is distributed like someone else mentioned. I watched this video the other day regarding the Maverick in deep snow...and slippery do not go well.

Sponsored

Broncenstein

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

if you turn on 4WD it takes some time for the transfer case to operate, usually your instrument cluster will state "Shift in progress" or something along those lines. I think the idea behind 4A is that you don't have to turn 4WD on yourself, it turns it on for you. AWD systems are pretty instantaneous but they also do not have a transfer case to operate. I don't believe 4A is the same as an AWD in Auto mode. apples to oranges in my opinion

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Which engine and how many doors @SamG?

I was driving around last night in my 2dr black diamond in Normal 4A and can't get the back end to step out, even with AdvanceTrak off. Just pushes like a pig. Also some of the ESC stuff is still active, because I can feel it coming in to prevent looping all the way around.

I'll take it back out after work today and try slippery mode, but honestly the neutered throttle response is pretty annoying for around town driving. I feel like slippery is better for high speed like when 696/75 start to get slushy.

I guess the 2.3 and 2.7 brake controller, besides one being vacuum and and one being electrically boosted, are actually made by different suppliers. So the tuning and feel of the stability control could be pretty different between 2.3 and 2.7L, not to mention 2dr vs 4dr.

I am absolutely thrilled with how my badlands Sasquatch performs in the snow. I’ve been using slippery mode and can’t get the thing to slide. Amazing.
Agree, can't get mine to slide even when I try lol.

Last edited:

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lag is in your head. These electronics are working much faster than a human can discern any sort of delay. I have gone from a Subaru STI (full time AWD) directly to a Golf R (haldex which is FWD until slippage) and felt no discernable difference in slippery conditions.

Reactions: FFF

Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which engine and how many doors @SamG?

I was driving around last night in my 2dr black diamond in Normal 4A and can't get the back end to step out, even with AdvanceTrak off. Just pushes like a pig. Also some of the ESC stuff is still active, because I can feel it coming in to prevent looping all the way around.

I'll take it back out after work today and try slippery mode, but honestly the neutered throttle response is pretty annoying for around town driving. I feel like slippery is better for high speed like when 696/75 start to get slushy.

I guess the 2.3 and 2.7 brake controller, besides one being vacuum and and one being electrically boosted, are actually made by different suppliers. So the tuning and feel of the stability control could be pretty different between 2.3 and 2.7L, not to mention 2dr vs 4dr.

Agree, can't get mine to slide even when I try lol.
Agree on the lack of power slides....

I went for a drive when we had about 3" of icy/slushy fresh snow here, it was honestly boring. :) Even in 2H with the 5 second push of traction control button to turn the Stability off.....no fun to be had. I was contemplating trying baja mode with 2H, but was afraid of breakage. My monkey brain lost that fight. :)

My previous F150 with traction control off would have been perfectly happy to hang the box at an 80 degree angle as the Coyote howled.....but very different animal here.

I'll wait for deeper, fully frozen stuff to go play again.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was contemplating trying baja mode with 2H, but was afraid of breakage.
Sport mode, stability off, 2H is pretty wild in the snow.
Not great for controlled drifting because like I mentioned some of the nannies are still active.

But sport will keep the turbos spooled up, so with like 1/4 throttle you can just spin donuts to your heart's content.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm all in with a plain old transfer case and part time 4x4. I wish the Bronco came with manual locking/unlocking hubs. :sick:

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you, this thread confirms my decision not to splurge on the added complexity of the 4A TC. I'd rather drive to the traction limit of 2wd and shift into 4H rather than be somewhere in the middle in 4A wondering if I have enough traction or if I'm just wasting fuel.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sport mode, stability off, 2H is pretty wild in the snow.
Not great for controlled drifting because like I mentioned some of the nannies are still active

But sport will keep the turbos spooled up, so with like 1/4 throttle you can just spin donuts to your heart's content.
I was able to enable Sport via Forscan this last weekend, it is a blast. Very different from Baja, in a good way. Cmon snow!!

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just want to add this in. Reading the first page of this thread, I see bad information.

If you use the power output screen, you can see that slippery mode uses all four wheels all the time. There is no reaction time when in slippery mode.

Only 4A in normal mode will go between 2 and 4 wheel drive for economy.

I think 4A is pretty sweet. Obviously it doesn't replace regular 4wd in certain situations but it works really well.

I've used 4A on slippery roads and offroad in fresh snow and it's been great. I've not experienced any adverse rear end rotation using 4A.

IMO, anyone who drives in the snow should get the advanced transfer case. You can easily go in and out of 4A without stopping as well. I throw it on if I need to quickly pull out on to a busy road and the side road may be a bit sandy. No drama, it just goes. Then I just turn it off right after.

AdvanceTrac off will allow nice powerslides or donuts in the snow or dirt.

2wd was either a squiggly line up the whole driveway or having power greatly reduced. I was actually surprised how little grip my bronco had in 2wd in a few inches of snow on a very slight incline.

Tldr: 4A w/ slippery mode is full time 4 wheel drive which can been confirmed on the "power output" screen. There is no reaction time. 4A rocks for winter diving. I recommend it.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you, this thread confirms my decision not to splurge on the added complexity of the 4A TC. I'd rather drive to the traction limit of 2wd and shift into 4H rather than be somewhere in the middle in 4A wondering if I have enough traction or if I'm just wasting fuel.
4A is completely optional mode. One can just select 4H without dialing in a GOAT mode. But I get your point, and loath the day all the fancy BS starts to malfunction.
I’m seriously considering trading “down” to a 2 door base in a couple years.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What happens if you just leave it in 4A/ Normal?
Good question and I’m not sure I’ve tried that combo yet. Will test this evening and report back
The same thing. I've been using normal and 4A. Slippery mode is pointless IMO.

Realize this isn't an AWD system. This it a 4wd system with the ability to engage 4H without your input.

There is and always will be a lag as the system notices the rears are spinning faster than the fronts and works to engage the front wheels.

Do not rely on 4A to save you. If you need INSTANT response from the front, keep it in 4H.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have never been a fan of 4A in many of my vehicles. I prefer 4H.

The AWD system in my GTR was incredible. Then again it should be for the price point.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used 4A when it snowed a few inches here a little over a week ago. I didn’t have any issues. Worked great with very little slippage if any. Saw a lot of other vehicles tires spinning and getting stuck though. Lol.
Sponsored