Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unused 4A and slippery mode the last three days. Worked great. I definitely understand vehicle dynamics and love the way it will differentiate front to rear to let me “pull” the front through a turn and let the rears follow, then settle right back in to what feels like 2WD. Drove my wife’s last edition Explorer today (new, 3 season rated tires) and the Bronco system definitely has a higher threshold for shenanigans (particularly in slippery) but both operate well in snow. Bottom line, I live the 4A and was super surprised at how fast and adaptable it is while retaining some ability to use my driving skills when I choose. Just my take 🤤
Damn - yall are making me feel crazy here.
I will have to test again... I still do feel there is a lag with when 4A truly kicks in, at least during turns in snow.

will double check my work tonight.

I autocross and track my sports cars so I have a good idea on how to drive, have lived in Michigan my whole life so I have snow down too... making me start to think that my system specifically has an issue
I am in MI too, owned lots of different vehicles, been to a couple of schools, definitely aware and always playing with stuff, like you. The one thing you might try is to more closely duplicate actual use cases (not trying to be a jerk at all). The system can’t overcome physics and may be reacting in one situation different than if it was closer to the intent/design? I experienced something similar Sunday at Holly Oaks, I was using trail crawl control (love it) and suddenly I was skating down a pretty steep/long hill. I thought for sure the system glitched or had failed. After trying it without the system engaged (and the trail very clear of Broncos) I realized I slid faster and farther without the system engaged. I clearly exceeded the physical ability of the tires to hold the vehicle back, regardless of electrical wizardry.

I am enjoying my 4DR 2.7 Badlands and it is a complete beast in the snow (4A, sometimes slippery mode) so far for me.
Sponsored

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just took my Badlands 7spd out in the snow for the first time here in CO (got it last night) and absolutely loved how it handled. Used slippery mode and it ate the snow up. Granted there's only maybe 4 inches, but the unplowed neighborhood hills were an absolute breeze. 4A was one of the key features for me and I'm super glad I went with it.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I took mine back out earlier, and still wants to push 9 times out of 10 without liberal application of the throttle. Slippery or normal mode. Stability control comes in hard and fast when I would intentionally come in a little hot (20mph lol) and lift off the gas. Roads are covered in the remnants of yesterdays ~3" snow fall that has been packed down.

For reference I have 2dr 2.7L.

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the maximum speed in 4A versus 4H? I have a traditional 4WD and I dont go above 50 mph when full time 4WD is engaged. Granted, its an older vehicle and I know the Bronco has much more "computing" power to save it from driver error

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Slippery mode is supposed to be less "responsive" if I remember correctly... Has anyone compared it with Sport mode in the same conditions? Just a thought.

FWIW, I am unaware of a speed where 4 High won't be ok, but I suspect that would potentially depend on the available traction (assuming that you are not running the front or rear differentials locked). The front differential unlocks at 20 MPH and the rear will work at any speed (AFAIK).

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What is the maximum speed in 4A versus 4H? I have a traditional 4WD and I dont go above 50 mph when full time 4WD is engaged. Granted, its an older vehicle and I know the Bronco has much more "computing" power to save it from driver error
Both can be used at any speed. Personally I've hit the limiter in 4a and 4h. Same with my traditional 4x4 trucks (97 f150, 02 Excursion, 12 f250)

I got my Bronco at the Start of winter here in AK in November. I didn't put it in 2wd until a couple weeks ago when the pavement finally showed up again. I used 4a mostly but did go 4h some times throughout the first 2500 miles. I also run Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 studded snow tires. Sure footed all winter for me, very happy.

Ford Bronco 4 Auto / Slippery Mode... not great? 20220305_153226

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you AKBronc

EGBronc

Badlands
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I read in the manual, it's looking like slippery mode would be more for slick, icy roads. The manual states "Deep Snow" in sand mode, so defining what deep snow would be good
Ford Bronco 4 Auto / Slippery Mode... not great? 20220305_153226
Sand mode didn’t help me the other night stuck in snow. Tried Sand mode with no movement. I have a Badlands Sasquatch and had to be dug out with shovels. Granted the snow was higher than the bumper on the drivers side so there is that…. I find the truck handles best in 4H if it’s icy!snowy. 4A doesn’t respond as fast when 4WD is needed. 4A allows too much slippage, at least on icy roads.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a life long driver in heavy snow and ice conditions and I like the predictable way a vehicle handles without computer input.
Thank you for this.
I just like knowing there are others out there. LOL

I'll also add to other comments going on, my Outback on Blizzaks is freaking formidable in snow/slush/ice etc.

Now , regarding strictly on-road winter weather performance.
Eventually I'll know for sure, but my gut feeling right now is ... even with quality snows mounted, I doubt the Bronco will be as solid as my Subies have been in the weather. (2 Outbacks, 1 legacy)
My bet is the only thing the Bronco will be better at will be DEEP snow.
Sponsored