First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So with all this new snow are you driving in slippery mode and only 2wd or slippery mode with 4wd. What seems to be the best combo if you do not have the 4A?
Sponsored

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve used Slipery mode in 2WD a couple times but we haven’t had much snow yet for me to get a good feel for it. But it does help cut down on wheel spin/slippage.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Are you talking about deep snow, if so use sand mode in 4 High not slippery!
Nnax31U.jpg

Reactions: Cat

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's a balancing act. Each of us has to figure out for ourselves what works in your conditions. I've got 4A, so I have not explored other alternatives, other than 4H and 4L...

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my base 7MT engages 4H automatically when I engage slippery goats. Went out yesterday in slippery because of the patchy glare ice and snow drifts, and on the way back I forgot to turn it back on and discovered I'd been in 2H and hardly noticed the difference.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would use 2H on cleared roads, and 4H on roads with actual snow on them.

Keep to a lower gear than you would on dry roads for better control.

OP
OP

cb123

Big Bend
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would use 2H on cleared roads, and 4H on roads with actual snow on them.

Keep to a lower gear than you would on dry roads for better control.
Yea went out today roads half packed ice and half slush snow and slippery mode with just 2wd worked pretty good. Not really sure you need 4H unless snow really deep or you get stuck.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I guess I have to ask...why have 4wd available and not use it in low traction (snow/ice) situations? Kind’a what it is for, in my mind...

OP
OP

cb123

Big Bend
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well it is my understanding that never drive in 4wd on the road if your wheels cannot slip some while turning. In my scenario the wheels could not adjust while turning in the slushy snow, so you should not run 4wd on this part of the road. I thought 4wd would be ok on the icy part but not the slush snow. So to not damage your 4wd system you could switch on fly from 4wd to 2wd, or just run in 2wd and slippery mode all the time. At least that is what I was always told.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With out 4A I stay in 2wd most of the time. If the roads are ice covered 4wd/ 2wd really don't matter, ice is ice. If it is hard packed snow I stay in 2wd unless I feel it slipping then I will shift into 4wd.

If you are in 4wd on dry roads you will not necessarily hurt anything unless you turn a lot. If you do wide turns you are safer then doing sharp turns.

Slush and ice and snow I stay in 4wd and just slow down and take wide turns. I have been doing it this way, since they came out with the auto locking hubs, before that I would lock my hubs before I started out so I could put it in 4wd. Yes over 40 years of doing this and no issues.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you do use your 4H and the driveline gets "wound up" from the lack of slip, you'll probably feel it. The vehicle will get sluggish, like the brakes are dragging. If it's not wanting to shift out of 4H try backing up to reduce the load on the driveline...if the Bronco uses clutches in the TC it's probably not an issue.
My 2 door does better than I expected in 2WD. It has good balance and can be tossed around a bit before the traction control nannie robot kicks in and spoils the fun. Much better than my previous vehicles which were just about useless in snow with 4WD.
Sponsored