First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
To me the Bronco looks tons better. Overall it just sounds cooler to say I drive a Bronco vs an Explorer lol

I will be honest and say I dont know much about off-road vehicles and will be a huge poser. Many will say I am wasting money (my build is ~56k). But I am buying one cash for my dad and financing one for me. I cant wait to go off-roading and learning about it with him. Also, my buddy owns a jeep and I can go w/ him as well (plus get pointers and learn from him).

After years of Lexus/Merc/Infiniti/and now my M4.... I just want something completely different but that I can still feel cool driving.
Sponsored

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
Honest post and great question, but you're on a Bronco exclusive forum... Thus, you are gonna get blasted... mostly by gif posting forum junkies from the safety of their mom's basement. I posted something similar way back comparing the body-on-frame explorer (2010 and prior) to the new Bronco. (Same ground clearance, similar in size (explorer was slightly bigger in rear cargo), NA engine was reliable and durable, great turning radious, drivabilty, etc) and I was attacked like I was a traitor from the media... i said much of what you said in different words: i.e. Bronco 1st through 5th gen were exclusively 2 doors... They had soul. Does the 4 door on the 6G have that same soul???

One of the surprising admissions from one guy on Bronco6g I got back essentially said they were never going to go off-road and would be proud driving their 4 door Bronco (doors and roof off) to the gender neutral soccer game for jr. while drinking a large mocha grande and clapping as jr. picks up his participation award... (paraphrased)

In other words, for most, its about the "the look". For some, its about the soul and true off-road best in class capabilities... But, for most, they just want to look the part. The Explorer does not give you that.

Having said that, people have the right to get whatever they want for whatever reason they want. Very similar to the BMW GS1250 owner that never rides off-road. They want the look. They want to stand around Starbucks wearing $3,000 jackets and talk about capabilities.... they will never test... And that's their right....

But, yeah, if you never go off-road, there are more practical ways to spend your $60k.

PS. I'll get attacked for this post as Bronco6g has quite a toxic atmosphere... mostly by the guys that post gifs and pictures...not sure of the relationship.... But, its all good.
After delivery of my Sas Wildrak, I will not be on this forum. Only place to find me will be in the mountains as I plan to test every capability this new vehicle promises to deliver.

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounss like an angry jeep/fj guy.

ford.JPG

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL, I had a 1991 Mazda Navajo LX (2 door Explorer re-badged) back in the day. After I hit 250,000 miles I cut the roof in the same spot and made half doors with an interior cage - put one tons and 40's on it, then rolled it. It was fun.

Sorry thing is the leather 2 tone black and greay seats looked a whole lot like the Black Diamond vinyl seats, but the Navajo's had 3 bolster adjustments and slide out leg extensions.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the 4 door bronco was going to phase anything out it would be the Edge. They are almost identical in length, both seat only 5 (Explorer seats 7). Similar total passenger volume, similar cargo volume.

However now that the Escape is bigger than it was, I would bet that it is the Escape that moves the edge out.

Do I want some creature comforts and have I been one of those that has complained about a few things, yes. most of that is simply because its 2020, and much cheaper vehicles I have previously owned had some of those features I want.

Would an Edge be a better vehicle for me, probably. But I want a bronco, I want the doors off, top off experience. I want to get into more outdoor activities and the Bronco is my gateway to that.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will be trading a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Bronco. The reality is that my JGC will probably be a better car all around for me. I have no intention whatsoever of off roading.

However, the JGC is too appliance like. It lacks soul. The bronco will have character.

The reality is that 99% of the public would be better served by a Geo Metro. Not too many Porsche's are taken to tracks. Most off road trucks are never driven beyond a mall or a gravel driveway. Most Rolex diving watches are worn by people who don't dive.
My wife and i echo the appliance thing. We want to feel something different than the standard suv, and the Bronco gives us that. We'll be exploring more, some off road stuff, but we're not doing king of the hammers either. We think it will work just fine for our small family.

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

. What’s wrong with all of you? The OP is 100% correct. Same vehicle, buy the explorer.
Sponsored