First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The simplest reason for me is the Bronco is my year round Mustang convertible. I have two very capable regular SUV's 97 Explorer V8 AWD and 02 Excursion V10 4x4 but neither can give me a top off/door off driving experience.

The rest? Its pure old school Bronco style I have to have, but I want space, sooo 4 door no question.
Sponsored

bluezombi

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2 recalls already... hope the bronco doesnt follow...

as its a tad better then the explorer launch

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer?
It's a Bronco thing. Plenty of people here are all new to the Bronco, and mixed in with the die hards.

Being a die hard doesn't mean you need to be out in the wild crawling over boulders, being a die hard means something different to each person. For some its the ability to go anywhere. For others it reminds them of better times, maybe as simple as riding around town with dad in the Bronco. And for many more, it's just been a love affair with the Bronco, whether it be EB or FSB. Lastly, it's probably a combination in some form or another of all the above.

So maybe you don't understand that, but to many of us, we don't care, because simply put, IT'S A BRONCO THING. ;)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have owned a 1994, 2000, 2005 and 2013 Explorers. They have steadily declined in off road ability, on road getting a little better. The ergonomics of the 2013 are horrid. Hopefully with the RWD platform off road is better, but ground clearance is still non existent. The Grand Cherokee has an available low range and OK clearance so is better off road, and remember, one of the best off roaders ever was the original Cherokee 84-2000ish and it was unibody.

But I bleed Blue, so other than my Rubicon, it's Ford.

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
Never seen an Explorer with tops and doors off.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
Completey different vehicles. Sure they both will haul 5 people and have 4 doors, so does most everything else. The explorer completes with Highlander and Blazer, not Wrangler like the Bronco. That said, I'm getting a Bronco for family SUV duty because I think it's cool, love the design, and the ability to go open air. 3" is actually quite a bit.

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A. Why are people so concerned with what someone else wants to spend their money on?

B. If I wanted an Explorer, I’d buy a Highlander or Pilot and drive a nicer car with superior resale value.

C. Ford is making a 4-door bc they are in the profit business. Next time you’re out, count the Wranglers on the road and then do a quick call on the percentage that are 4 door. I’ll give you a hint, it’s up there. And even more so if you don’t count pre-07 models. I have a 00 Wrangler and love it. But since I have a family, I hardly ever drive it, unless I’m by myself. And there’s literally no space with the backseat in. I’ve had mine since ‘12 and the backseat hasn’t been in it for more than 2 months total. I’m going to miss the maneuverability of the TJ, but I’m going to love being able to fit my family. But back to my point, Ford has definitely watched Jeep sell 4-door JK and JL’s like hot cakes. If they’d put the Bronco out as a 2-door only, it would find itself in the same boat as a ‘97 model Bronco.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not a troll at all …. I was posting because I was considering switching my 2-door reservation to a 4-door when the time comes to officially placing the order, but now I'm thinking the 4-door is too big.

Just wanted to hear others opinions.
Buy a Bronco Sport. No comparison between the 4-Door Bronco and the Explorer. Two different classes.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not saying the vehicles aren't different. However, there are a lot of people with Wranglers whose vehicle needs are more suited to the Grand Cherokee. I suspect there will be a lot of people who buy Broncos whose needs would be better suited to an Explorer. I know Wrangler owners who have never had the top off or done any offroading beyond the capabilities of all SUVs, but if they still want Wranglers and Broncos, that this their choice.
In those cases, it's kind of play acting for adults. Expensive play acting, lol. But Ford and the rest of us need those guys buying, else there would probably not be enough of a demand to make the vehicle sufficiently profitable.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A. Why are people so concerned with what someone else wants to spend their money on?
Why are people concerned that people are concerned? Hey, people discuss things. I have an interest in consumer behavior. What motivates and drives purchases. But then, I wasted four years on an undergrad degree in psychology, so pretty much all human behavior interests me in some fashion. :)

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Explorer is a high-roof unibody Taurus so other than general box-like shape they have nothing in common with Broncos. We should be ecstatic Ford is reversing course and bringing out legit body on frame SUVs. Even if they are just going to the mall.
Counterpoint... I have not been to a mall in 7 months.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I completely agree with this, and is why I kind of wish Ford would have kept the Bronco 2-door only. Maybe that would have helped stream line production so we didn't have to wait so long.

Even though every time I think I'm decided on keeping my first choice (2 door), I see new pictures of the 4-door and then I'm not sure again.
Unfortunately, in today's market they could not have made a business case to keep the Bronco 2-door. The volume would not have been there to justify to development costs. Same reason there are 4 and 6 cylinder models of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger and always have been since the muscle car era.
Sponsored