6gBronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

Ford Bronco 4-door Bronco = 4X4 Explorer?? ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Explorer doesn't have near the eye candy appeal when mall crawling.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is "pure" Bronco and very nostalgic, but the 4-door add a lot of daily driver practicality. However, when comparing the size of the 4-door Bronco with the current Explorer, they are basically the same size. The wheel base is only different by 3", and the additional length of the Explorer is mostly just the larger front and rear overhangs.

Ford Bronco 4-door Bronco = 4X4 Explorer?? ford.JPG

For those that may never take the Bronco off-road, why choose the Bronco over the Explorer? They both come standard with a 4-cylinder, and optional 6-cylinder, so why pick the Bronco over the Explorer (besides styling)?

If the reason is styling, I wonder if Ford will be phasing out the Explorer soon.
Nice troll attempt...like asking why Jeep has a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler.

OP
OP

6gBronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Not a troll at all …. I was posting because I was considering switching my 2-door reservation to a 4-door when the time comes to officially placing the order, but now I'm thinking the 4-door is too big.

Just wanted to hear others opinions.

Sponsored

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Its like the 4runner and highlander, just about the same space too. One is the "Not a mini van" while the other is body on frame design.

Bronco - Body on Frame, 4x4
Explorer - Unibody, AWD

4Runner - Body on Frame, 4x4
Highlander - Unibody, AWD

Last edited:

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dude, you can’t mall crawl in a Explorer.
At the minimum you need 35s, disconnect, lockers front and rear, and twin turbos.
Everybody knows when the top goes down, the fun goes up. ?

Ford Bronco 4-door Bronco = 4X4 Explorer?? F774DCEF-3E54-4E71-B81A-319FB0BAFC29

Last edited:

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Explorer is a high-roof unibody Taurus so other than general box-like shape they have nothing in common with Broncos. We should be ecstatic Ford is reversing course and bringing out legit body on frame SUVs. Even if they are just going to the mall.

OP
OP

6gBronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

That's what I thought was interesting when I compared the size of both. The Bronco was phased out by the Explorer (maybe the Expedition too), but now it seems like the Bronco may phase out the Explorer.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new Explorer is actually pretty capable, being based off a RWD platform has a lot of advantages compared to the Volvo car chassis/Taurus/Flex platform my 2018 is based on. That being said, the Explorer we have, will continue to be the daily driven people hauler and "tow rig".(equipped with a "truck like" 5k lb. tow rating. Many people mention how the Bronco tow rating isn't low and if you need more than 3500 lbs., get a truck). It is also very good in snow and has gotten me everywhere I needed to get, within reason and ground clearance/tire limitations.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's what I thought was interesting when I compared the size of both. The Bronco was phased out by the Explorer (maybe the Expedition too), but now it seems like the Bronco may phase out the Explorer.
No shot the Bronco phases out the explorer. It is much more excepted by the mainstream consumer for them to remove those eggs and put them in the bronco basket imo.

mestuntman

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
OICU812
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Explorer is a pile of MONKEY NUTS!

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. I have the same question. There are people who say they need the Lux package and never plan to take the Bronco on more than a well graded dirt road. This perfectly describes what an Explorer excels at. There is a purpose for a Grand Cherokee and a Wrangler. I'm guessing if jump on the Wrangler forums to complain about heating steering wheels and adaptive cruise control, you'll get directed to the Grand Cherokee.

Agreed.
Sponsored