Sponsored

4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage?

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So have a FE and have about 3,500 miles on it. Mostly driven in 2H normal mode getting around 16.5 eveyday driving. I swear the couple of times I have driven it 4A non-snow I have gotten better mileage. Any insights on this or was it just a fluke.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1. Gas mileage on the screen means absolutely nothing. It's a farce. The only way to know for sure is several fillups from the same station, tracking mileage and fuel usage by hand or with an app like Fuelly. Every time someone says, "I get xx mpg" I ignore them because for all I know it was read off the screen for a half mile downhill.

2. 4A pulls in the front axles that are usually freewheeling, which would likely have a slight negative effect on mileage.

Sponsored

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the 2 door 2.7 and was getting 18.6 on the Highway in eco 2H over 600 miles. Then switched it to normal 4A and got about 400 miles in 4h and was averaging 18.8. Both similar speeds/RPMs/stopping and going.

i thought it was a fluke too, but I’ve read similar accounts from others. But also read accounts to the contrary, so maybe we just got lucky.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Theoretically it should be 2H. There is NO efficiency benefit to having your vehicle in 4A. Hard stop.

However - the loss in efficiency should also be negligible as the sensors collecting the information for AdvanceTrac are already doing so regardless of if they are actually applying it to your drivetrain. The additional electrical load on your vehicle's system should be minimal if nil and therefor having it in 4A should pose no danger to your MPG.

But it absolutely will do nothing to aid it.

Also - I'm getting 18.4mpg (through 2 fill ups hand calc) 2.3L, 10spd, Sasquatch running 34 psi.

BroncoScott

Outer Banks
First Name
Duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Wrapped Lifted Shoes
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What determines if your Bronco has 4A or not?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1. Gas mileage on the screen means absolutely nothing. It's a farce. The only way to know for sure is several fillups from the same station, tracking mileage and fuel usage by hand or with an app like Fuelly. Every time someone says, "I get xx mpg" I ignore them because for all I know it was read off the screen for a half mile downhill.

2. 4A pulls in the front axles that are usually freewheeling, which would likely have a slight negative effect on mileage.
I’ve only had mine for 900 miles(two weeks) but I can confirm that the onboard computer calculator is not accurate. The laws of physics dictate that all Broncos are gas guzzlers, as they are tall, heavy, boxy vehicles, and rolling on tires with a lot of mass. I’m guessing all with Sasquatch are around 15-18mpg and those without might do 10-15% better. If you drive at the speed limit and never engage more than half of the max hp of your engine by taking it easy on the accelerator, I’m sure you can do a little better. It doesn’t sound like much fun, but to each their own.

Most Bronco owners I know have other more fuel efficient vehicles that are much quieter and better driving for longer trips on the highway so the poor fuel economy of the Bronco is not really a big issue. Hopefully these fuel prices won’t stay at $4 per gallon forever.

Last edited:

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What determines if your Bronco has 4A or not?
You have to specify it. It comes with all Sasquatch equipped Broncos and I believe it is an option on Big Bend, OBX, and BD. Then is standard on BL and WT.

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have to specify it. It comes with all Sasquatch equipped Broncos and I believe it is an option on Big Bend, OBX, and BD. Then is standard on BL and WT.
Minimum trim level to order just the advanced transfer case is the Black Diamond, then the Outer Banks. Base, and Big Bend required the sasquatch package to get the advanced transfer case with 4A.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Minimum trim level to order just the advanced transfer case is the Black Diamond, then the Outer Banks. Base, and Big Bend required the sasquatch package to get the advanced transfer case with 4A.
Gotcha! My original order was a BD non-sas with the AdvanceTrac so I didn't know which models could or couldn't get them. I knew it wasn't stand alone on base.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there is zero or negligible impact wouldn’t it be best for Broncos to default to 4A when equipped?