Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it is important to remember that the only thing 4A/AWD or 4H does for you in the snow is to help move you forward. As stated throughout this thread, they are typically useful when starting from a stop or climbing a hill. They do not help you turn, stop or avoid losing control. The same goes for 4A/AWD in the rain.
Sponsored

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you have the advanced transfer case.... Use 4A.....
Ok so Iā€™m in Michigan and used 4A today on slick roads. But when accelerating it feels a little ā€œvibrateyā€ in the front and seems a little noisy. I experimented and tried 4H for a minute on a snow covered road to see if I got the same sensation and it felt more normal. Had the power distribution up to see that both times front wheels were getting power. Iā€™m gonna have my brother take a look tomorrow but Iā€™m thinking something may be wrong with my 4A or maybe I just donā€™t understand it šŸ˜‚

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you are on a slippery road and driving at 55 MPH, then you probably should be slowing down anyway. Back then, your 4WD was also part-time, so it required loose or slipper surfaces to be engaged.
The highway was nice and white, and the falling snow made for a beautiful warp speed effect!

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ok so Iā€™m in Michigan and used 4A today on slick roads. But when accelerating it feels a little ā€œvibrateyā€ in the front and seems a little noisy. I experimented and tried 4H for a minute on a snow covered road to see if I got the same sensation and it felt more normal. Had the power distribution up to see that both times front wheels were getting power. Iā€™m gonna have my brother take a look tomorrow but Iā€™m thinking something may be wrong with my 4A or maybe I just donā€™t understand it šŸ˜‚
Yes it sounds like something is wrong... The real difference between 4A and 4H is all happening in the transfer case which is located approximately between the two front seats. If all other factors are equal (ie driving surface, slopes etc) there really should not be anything different happening in the front..... That does not mean that something happening in the transfer case can not feel like it is coming from the front end....

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You do have to use some judgement, and this is an aspect of Bronco ownership that Ford could have done better.
I came to the Bronco from an LR3. Modern Rovers use an AWD TC that locks and unlocks as you need to maintain your traction and directional control. With "Terrain Response" and low range available you have an ideal setup for power distribution with minimal driver input needed.
So Ford does basically a part time case where you get to decide 2 or 4, or the 4A where it might not engage in time if things get a bit weird.
My general rule is that if my rear wheels are slipping I am going to engage the 4H, for traction and directional control. If there is snow or black ice, if your tail is happy, you should use the 4WD . Some people have the notion that 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control and that's absolute hogwash.
But at least we don't have to get out and lock the hubs!

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The referenced video specifically states that ESOF systems should only be switched into 4H in off road or slippery winter conditions.
Sorry, wet/slippery roads were kind of implied with the topic of conversation. And it looks like our ability to edit posts have been removed.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
4H or 4Lo on Highway dry or wet? Absolutely not. Full coverage of snow or ice? Sure. If its partial, No, unless just needed to get started.

Now if I had an Automatic with 4A ? Absolutely Yes. That Hi tech system was developed by Land Rover when Ford owned them. It engages when slipping, disengages when not slipping and to the wheel(s) required. It is really, really good and the only reason I considered getting an auto trans.
Developed by Land Rover doesn't exactly inspire confidence -- just saying. Toyota maybe.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some people have the notion that 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control and that's absolute hogwash.
But at least we don't have to get out and lock the hubs!
The reality is that tires on the road only have a limited amount of traction to use. Rear wheel drive cars do best in slippery conditions because the front wheels are just having to deal with turning and braking. The rear wheels are just dealing with braking and acceleration.

Front wheel drive cars the front wheels have to deal with braking, turning, and acceleration. This can overload the front tires causing them to lose traction faster than they would in a rear wheel drive car.

So at the limits of traction, 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control, in fact using 4WD will reduce the limits of traction for the front tires sooner than if not in 4WD.

But that is all at the limits of traction. Only in emergencies do we often deal
with the limits (or in wet or icy roads)

The way roads are de-iced in Minnesota, the dry ground is typically at where the front of the vehicle will typically stop. So in that case, with snow at the rear and dry ground at the front, Front wheel drive or 4WD will benefit greatly.

Driving on ice, 4wd will help you get going faster, but it won't stop you faster, and it won't turn you faster.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Itā€™s not the speed thatā€™s the problem though šŸ˜‰
There is no such thing as a bad landing in an airplane either. It lands or it crashes. And the reality is the immediate lack of motion of a vehicle is what kills the occupants who are still traveling at the former velocity. So, yes, speed does not kill, but the loss of velocity does.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have you had your front halfshaft recall performed? Maybe it is telling you something

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have you had your front halfshaft recall performed? Maybe it is telling you something
Hmm I never saw that. I have a 2023 built in July. But I can check. My brother drove it and said he thinks im just feeling it engage the front end but I still donā€™t know.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use it all the time and it will kick it at 80mph. I try to not go more than 65mph in 4h

The Ford people at Bronco off rodeo suggest that 4L was safe up to 45mph on the Bronco so I don't worry too much about 65mph in 4H.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Some people have the notion that 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control and that's absolute hogwash.
Yup. Powered front wheels can absolutely help steering and in conditions when steering traction is low. Even forcing front wheels to spin on very slippery surfaces is a known technique.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So at the limits of traction, 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control, in fact using 4WD will reduce the limits of traction for the front tires sooner than if not in 4WD.
He disagrees...

Ford Bronco 4H/Slippery on Highway
Sponsored