Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It also lists acceptable speeds for the various GOAT modes...OP was asking
No, it shows acceptable speeds for various GOAT modes IF the diff is locked.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And if you don't have 4A, you probably shouldn't be using 4H on the highway anyway. 4WD isn't going to help you much if you start sliding at 70mph. Don't be one of those people that thinks they can drive in snow with 4WD just like dry pavement ;)
It’s not the speed that’s the problem though 😉

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the general consensus for those with 4A? On full-time for snow/rain/ice?

Catatonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
4H or 4Lo on Highway dry or wet? Absolutely not. Full coverage of snow or ice? Sure. If its partial, No, unless just needed to get started.

Now if I had an Automatic with 4A ? Absolutely Yes. That Hi tech system was developed by Land Rover when Ford owned them. It engages when slipping, disengages when not slipping and to the wheel(s) required. It is really, really good and the only reason I considered getting an auto trans.

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mines in 4A 95% of the time down here in sunny FL. The 4A doesn’t engage the front axle unless necessary. Set it and forget it

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A can be used in most cases where a risk for slippery surfaces may occur or have occurred.
4H should only be used when there actually are slippery surfaces. You can go faster than 45mph, but the ground needs to be slippery when turning if you do that.

From the owners manual for the Automatic Transmission
Standard transfercase:

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE HIGH

Four-wheel drive high provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE LOW

Four-wheel drive low provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. This mode is only for off-road conditions such as deep sand, steep slopes, or pulling heavy objects.
Note: Four-wheel drive low can turn on or off automatically based on drive mode selection.

For the Advanced Transfer Case

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE HIGH

Four-wheel drive high provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.
Note: Four-wheel drive high can turn on or off automatically based on Drive Mode selection.

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE LOW

Four-wheel drive low provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. This mode is only for off-road conditions such as deep sand, steep slopes, or pulling heavy objects.
Note: Four-wheel drive low can turn on or off automatically based on drive mode selection.

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE AUTO (IF EQUIPPED)

Four-wheel drive auto provides electronically controlled four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction in varying on-road conditions. The four-wheel drive auto tuning varies based on selected Drive Mode. See Selecting a Four-Wheel Drive Mode - 4x4 with Part Time Engagement.

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
. . . Now if I had an Automatic with 4A ? Absolutely Yes. That Hi tech system was developed by Land Rover when Ford owned them. It engages when slipping, disengages when not slipping and to the wheel(s) required. It is really, really good and the only reason I considered getting an auto trans.
Good to know it's a well designed system. For what it's worth, our 7sp manual 2.3 Badlands has 4A.

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2024 Rivian R1S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You got a lot of different opinions. Not sure I can offer much more on what is right or wrong. However, I do live in Minneapolis and also have a BB without 4A.

This morning there was enough snow on my side street for me to put it in 4H. When I got to the main artery road it was wet but not icy. I put it back into 2H before I made that turn. 35w going Northbound was wet but not slippery and conditions were good enough for me to keep it in 2H.

When there is visible snow on the ground and enough to make you drive slower than normal I’d say your good for 4H. If it’s just wet and you’re going normal speeds you should be in 2H. There is a lot of gray in between so use your best judgement.

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mines in 4A 95% of the time down here in sunny FL. The 4A doesn’t engage the front axle unless necessary. Set it and forget it
I drove around a time or two with 4A engaged. Noticed a very slight drag on the steering wheel vs. 2H. Not nearly as noticeable as 4H, but noticeable.

Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always thought you just weren't supposed to engage 4wd at highway speeds (55 max in my old fullsize bronco). It probably just depends on the vehicle.

If there's a bad enough snow to call for it, I'm already in it or hit it on the on-ramp, and I've gone as fast as 60/65 just fine.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FIFY.

I put my F150 KR in 4A as soon as I bought it and that was about 148k miles ago. Same with my BL and the wifes OBX (just not nearly as many miles on the Broncos).

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I always thought you just weren't supposed to engage 4wd at highway speeds (55 max in my old fullsize bronco). It probably just depends on the vehicle.

If there's a bad enough snow to call for it, I'm already in it or hit it on the on-ramp, and I've gone as fast as 60/65 just fine.
If you are on a slippery road and driving at 55 MPH, then you probably should be slowing down anyway. Back then, your 4WD was also part-time, so it required loose or slipper surfaces to be engaged.

Zybore

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wish Ford would read these posts and their great discussion of 4wd usage. Maybe they would change course in the 2024 order book an allow me to add 4A to my non-sas order. I'll wait if constrained.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many of you all drive in slippery on the highway? I was always told never go above 45 mph in 4H, but I am assuming that irrelevant with modern tech. First snow in MN today, want to make sure I'm not putting any extra stress on my transfer case. Drove to work in 2H and was not fun!
With our F150 FX4, we should go into 4H electronically "shift-on-the-fly". I noticed that in slippery conditions, sometimes the rear tires might lose traction, even with the electronic limited slip differential. Usually, this might be when making a turn, as the unladen bed didn't supply much weight over the wheels. Anticipating this, I might shift into 4H prior to a corner and then shift out afterward. If the conditions are truly slippery, such as snow on the ground, 4H on-road is OK, but without 4A, you would need to be conscious about any conditions where grip returns, such as if the roads get cleared from plowing. In general, without 4A, I would plan to use 4H sparingly and intermittently even then, rather than leaving it on all of the time.
Sponsored