Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also curious about the hidden winch - I'm conflicted over 2.3 vs 2.7 - don't want to modify to add but my garage is small and it will barely fit without the winch. Also can't add roof rack to 2.7 for some reason.

Also, what FORSCAN mods did you do?
Sponsored

Mictanker

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands Area 51; 2014 Indian Chieftai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am thinking of changing my badlands 2.7 to the 2.3. Research suggests it has plenty of power and lest maintenance cost.

How do you feel about the 2.3 in the badlands? Any regrets?
I love the 2.3. Other than sounding a bit like an oil burner at start-up I have zero complaints at about 3600 miles. I came from a 2015 Wrangler JK with the 3.6 manual and the Bronco 2.3 BL puts it to shame! I have the 7-speed manual and I find the 2.3 is great on and offroad. I am averaging about 22 MPG with mostly county road (55MPH) driving.

still_waiting

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, VW.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

received_1670734536661668.jpeg

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

received_233184485644998.jpeg

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
Yawwwwwn 🥱🥱🥱🥱

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
Sure sorry to hear your disappointment(s). Our '22 just turned over 1k and only an 8 month wait; base 2dr, 2.3, stick. Good mpg, rides/handles great--kinda noisy....but, we had CJ5 that was durable as Satan mechanically, rusted, and was/is light years behind Jeep's current offerings, in our opinion. Liked Jeep, but would never consider one again....hope your experiences continue to add pleasure & satisfaction!

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love the 2.3. Other than sounding a bit like an oil burner at start-up I have zero complaints at about 3600 miles. I came from a 2015 Wrangler JK with the 3.6 manual and the Bronco 2.3 BL puts it to shame! I have the 7-speed manual and I find the 2.3 is great on and offroad. I am averaging about 22 MPG with mostly county road (55MPH) driving.
Our 2.3 base stick 22+, same driving regimen as u. The 2.3 has evolved over many years. We had a dual ohc 1.9 in an Aerostar 5spd. Hauled 6 and NEVER any issues. No regrets then, or, now....

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sometimes this site is beyond crazy. The Bronco sucks but you love it after doing tons of mods. For starters some of the things you mentioned like huge tires you can get on any Bronco, its called the Sasquatch package. Not everyone is interested in hard core rock climbing, and smaller tires are better for everything else. I have just the 2.3L, and it has plenty of pep without hacking the software. You get on here and reiterate problems you dig up on this site some of which are not even problems but the result of hard core off roading which can break things on any vehicle. If you can't hear the base stereo your ears are blown out. Some of us prefer quality over boomy base and rattling everyones windows for miles around.

Last edited:

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

Thanks for the post. My apologies if you already answered this but I can't read 8 pages of Karens complaining about your decisions and experiences.

What were the changes that did so much in forscan?

Goinwheelin

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also, anyone who wants to show me up, bring out your stock Sasquatch Bronco and lets compare which one does better on ramps... (RTI scores)... LOL. Just don't get butthurt when you get owned.
I’ve never seen a RTI ramp on the trail. However I have seen plenty of people who talk about how good their rig does on a ramp get absolutely owned on the trail. Not saying you’re one of those folks, just saying it’s a silly metric to use.

As far as your Bronco I’m not sure why anyone cares what you do with it. Different strokes for different folks. I didn’t order my Bronco someone else did, I was just lucky enough to buy it. Would I change some things? Sure, but the way it sits now is about perfect for me and that’s all that matters.

cheers!

Goinwheelin

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm also curious about the hidden winch - I'm conflicted over 2.3 vs 2.7 - don't want to modify to add but my garage is small and it will barely fit without the winch. Also can't add roof rack to 2.7 for some reason.

I have the Rough Country Hidden winch on mine. It’s a decent kit but the welding and powder coat finish on the skid plate was pretty bad. I sent it back and the next one they sent wasn’t much better so I just dealt with it. Had it stripped, welds dressed and re powder coated.

This is the first skid plate they sent
Ford Bronco 50,000 mile Review - Why the Bronco Sucks 0EED0CFA-E7C8-42BB-A658-AB4169B99227

If I had the 2.7 I wouldn’t do the hidden winch because you have to cut oil cooler lines and a bunch of other stuff. Not something I wanted to do on a brand new vehicle.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The stock rims and tires on my ‘89 were pretty small, looked funny.
Yep, I don't think you could get over a 29" tire on previous gens (from the factory), now they start at 30", funny how perceptions change.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very interesting reads, comments and opinions here. Op thanks for sharing and that you have reached 50K miles. It makes me feel a little better about long term reliability and durability. Reading about some of the issues some have had it makes me a little concerned.....

I have a 2022 Basesquatch that sits most of the time. 2300 miles after 8 months. Unfortunately my wife and I work, work and work some more. I use an economy car for a very long commute but we are planning a vacation next year which we will be driving the Bronco a LOT. We hope it will not have any issues.

We love our 2 door Basesquatch- looks and performance as is. It has 0 mods and needs nothing. Had a bad driveshaft making noise (outside of the recall interestingly), which was replaced, it's in for the windshield recall right now and the lights like to turn on automatically- only some time. The 2.7 is so powerful and hauls arse as it is a lighter weight package compared to other Broncos. The tranny works well but shifts a lot (the 10 speed) compared to what we have owned in the past. We average over 22 MPG in it. So it's with us hopefully a long time and we can't wait to drive it a lot next year.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curous where you come up with a statement like this:
" My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF "
Do you assume they are generally, High AF?
That sure is a massive statement and I hope you have knowledge to back it up, otherwise you might want to take a second and read that from a 3rd person point of view and the stigma you have just cast on these workers. These are hard working folks that aren't to blame for a vast majority of what has happened with the Bronco rollout and issues.

Good for you for having 50k and authoring such an interesting read.
I'm still in a hold pattern for 838 days.
I got my data from the movie, 8 mile. ;)

Seriously, if you look at some of the stuff that makes it through the production line, how else can you explain it?!?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/nice-weld.27124/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mismatched-front-seats.27975/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/anyone-else-missing-side-curtain-airbag-trim.30750/

Here are some examples of what gets delivered and High AF is the only reasonable excuse. Perhaps you could argue extreme ADHD and lack of attention to detail, but seriously.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious, does the Aeroskin II Deflector reduce any of the wind noise at highway speeds? Thanks!
I wouldn't know, it's been on since nearly day 1. It does not appear to be a source of noise.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious how the install of the hidden winch was? Thinking about doing it but heard the 2.7 install is difficult.
I am not completely happy with the installation yet, it's tight in there and although not a complicated install, it's not as clean as I would like it to be. I want to move the heat exchanger elsewhere, which means fabricating new hoses from the Transmission to the heat exchanger.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Off the top of my head:

double honk
bambi mode
goat modes
seat belt chimes
other chimes
tpms
tire size

I am sure that there are others, but that's just the most salient ones.
Sponsored