Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My first real project on my 2023 Wildtrak 4-door will be the rear cargo platform with a pullout kitchen. I know the rise difference is 4” or so, but I feel 6” will allow me the space for pullout kitchen with a little storage, a base for my Everest 2-burner, and a pop-out sink.

1. has anyone managed to do this build yet? If so, I’d love to see some build pics and links.

2. I’ve measured the ceiling height of the soft top at 35-37” off of the folded rear seats. What measurement have y’all gotten for a hardtop. I’m on the waitlist for the Turn Offroad hardtop.

3. Opinions or aluminum square stock vs dimensional lumber builds?

4. I’ll take any input and would love for this to be a conversation. I will share pics as the project comes along.
Sponsored

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My first real project on my 2023 Wildtrak 4-door will be the rear cargo platform with a pullout kitchen. I know the rise difference is 4” or so, but I feel 6” will allow me the space for pullout kitchen with a little storage, a base for my Everest 2-burner, and a pop-out sink.

1. has anyone managed to do this build yet? If so, I’d love to see some build pics and links.

2. I’ve measured the ceiling height of the soft top at 35-37” off of the folded rear seats. What measurement have y’all gotten for a hardtop. I’m on the waitlist for the Turn Offroad hardtop.

3. Opinions or aluminum square stock vs dimensional lumber builds?

4. I’ll take any input and would love for this to be a conversation. I will share pics as the project comes along.
If you need any measurements let us know!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

step one, get the download file from ModCrate and use that as your base, it'll save you gobs and gobs of work trying to get something to fit just right.

There is by no means one single way to do it, but here's the direction I went:

Ford Bronco 6” rear platform w/ pullout kitchen and storage build 1710364486206-wr

There's some storage on the right for stuff I need in a hurry, and a pullout panel inside so i can still get to the storage cubby underneath. There's also an integrated sub box on the front right since I was a peasant and got the base stereo in mine. I would have gone with a dual drawer system, but I also have a tailgate table and they would have gotten in the way of each other

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That looks about perfect!

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually need an easy access cubby as my longest rod tube I currently own just fits door to back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What mattress did you go with?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What mattress did you go with?
I've got a deepsleep, and I made sure to get the riser mattress. Instead of putting it in the trunk, I put it on top of the backseat since the platform now sits higher that the folded seat does, and it still lays mostly flat.

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I plan on negating that a bit by placing a sprung hinge two or three inches off of the seat back and putting about 8-12” (whatever the math says to do) of carpeted plywood to lay against the seatbacks. It’ll lay down when the seats are folded and get me close enough to flat without any fast angling up or dipping. It’ll make sense when I do it and share the pictures.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I plan on negating that a bit by placing a sprung hinge two or three inches off of the seat back and putting about 8-12” (whatever the math says to do) of carpeted plywood to lay against the seatbacks. It’ll lay down when the seats are folded and get me close enough to flat without any fast angling up or dipping. It’ll make sense when I do it and share the pictures.
You mean like this?

Ford Bronco 6” rear platform w/ pullout kitchen and storage build 1710465903691-2m

Ford Bronco 6” rear platform w/ pullout kitchen and storage build 1710465925220-e

This was my first iteration, and the foldover panel didn't work as well as I'd hoped. A little bit of weight on that thing tore the screws right out of the plywood

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am planning to do nearly the same, but to add some angled wood bracing that could support the bulk of the weight. Also, I’m only going to add about 18” to lay against the seats.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@turnoffroad what are your measurements for cargo floor to rooftop?

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I’m going to finish this tonight or die trying. Here are a few pics thus far. It is far from perfect, but think it’ll serve me well.

the framing is quite simple, but four 2x6x28” fir board parallel to one another. The outer two are bolted into the bronco at three places. The other two are floating, although left interior is attached via sliding drawers. I bought three 3’ pieces of steel and bolted them on the top of the four boards. Drawer is pulling fine, if not a little rough due to my beginner level skills.

This leaves me with five spaces that have value, from left to right: small cubby that holds all of the tools that were underneath the cargo floor, then a 12.5” drawer that’ll be my simple pullout kitchen (sink, small working space, tray for 2-burner stove, cubby that can hold 2 fly rod tubes, 12.5” cubby that holds the 2-burner stove, and finally another cubby that can hold 2 fly rod tubes.

I’m going to cut out the platform and fold over extension, carpet then, and then hang the hinges. Bc of your comments, I’m going to bolt through the hinges and place washers on each side for rigidity. Additionally, I am going to take three rubber door stops and cut them to the proper angle so that they will provide rigidity in the middle of the extension. Wish I would have grabbed a fourth piece of steel.

I will clean it up with some simple facing and a drawer pull. I figure this will meet my needs and last for a good while. Probably going to bite the bullet on the deep sleep mattresses, bc 1. It allows me the ability to have a single mattress and additional storage and 2. It seems to be the only one that address jutting console issue while maximizing length. If anyone has suggestions, I’m very open to them.

All in, I’m about at $225 on this build.

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Still have to bolt down the top of the platform, but it all fits and works. Have to find a solution to the nuts and bolts on the mattress, but it’s a simple problem.

IMG_1883.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

She’s pretty much done, aside from the remainder of the pullout kitchen, which I’m gonna pause on, bc I’m going to add a third hinge for a fold out table.

The top is screwed in with 12 lag bolts. Found some furniture pads that fit over the exposed hardware and they will do the job for now. Most likely will build my own mattress from a 3-4” memory foam topper. Bought three angled rubber door stops that provide good support underneath the fold over portion of the platform.

IMG_1887.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1886.jpeg

OP
OP
MDC1980

MDC1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well the kitchen was nearly the end of me, but I am happy with how it turned out. Getting ready to order my mattress. Hope to test it all out this weekend.

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg
Sponsored