First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are you changing the gear oil on your portal every 3k miles??? I need to be able to drive 5k before oil changes to be practical for me.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you changing the gear oil on your portal every 3k miles??? I need to be able to drive 5k before oil changes to be practical for me.
You use cheap 80w90 for the 1st 200mi, then dump that for break in purposes. Then use the maxima gear lube and change at each oil change interval going forward. I do think that reccommendation is conservative, but I'm gonna stick to it

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have the 4.7 gear ratio in my Bronco, would putting Portals on be to much of a regear to my highway driving experience? I am currently running 37"s. Should one have to regear to put the Bronco back at a final gear ratio that falls within the 4.56-4.88 range?
I am running 4.7 gears with 40 inch tires.... It feels damn close to stock gearing. If you ran 38s you might run a little higher rpm but not dramatically. I am very comfortable on the highway at 80. I am probably within 100 rpm or so of stock.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Really easy and quick to change the oil in these things.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am running 4.7 gears with 40 inch tires.... It feels damn close to stock gearing. If you ran 38s you might run a little higher rpm but not dramatically. I am very comfortable on the highway at 80. I am probably within 100 rpm or so of stock.
I might have to call Quinn on his response as to why he wouldn’t run 40’s on a Bronco, but from your experience is there a lot of body trimming to be done? Or what’s your thoughts with 40’s for a daily driver and on the trails? I was thinking of sticking with 37’s as STT’s Pro doesn’t have a 38” but they have a 40”.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might have to call Quinn on his response as to why he wouldn’t run 40’s on a Bronco, but from your experience is there a lot of body trimming to be done? Or what’s your thoughts with 40’s for a daily driver and on the trails? I was thinking of sticking with 37’s as STT’s Pro doesn’t have a 38” but they have a 40”.
There's a whole part of this thread where Tor148 goes through the process of figuring out body trimming needed with 40" Cooper STT Pros... (Navigate to the next page, it's several posts.)

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tals-now-available.78575/page-68#post-2155875

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes there is some trimming.... Not quite fair to compare mine... I am not sure. I have square fenders as opposed to the round fenders. I am not trimming as much as Tor..... Quinn originally went with 40s and then changed to 38s.... Only a guess but I think it was so that he had NO Trimming.... and no he did not have to trim while running 38s.... The difference between the 37s and the 38s (typically) is the 37s are usually 12.5 width and the 38s are 13.5 width. I am absolutely certain if I was running a 38x13.5 I would be tight but NO contact anywhere.

With 40s I only have contact at the back of the front wheel well when fully stuffed (sway bar disconnected) and have about 3/4 turn.... I think if I trim back about 3/4" to 1" diagonally upwards about 4 inches to 0 cut, I will be fine.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats the combo I have. I have 2" body lift and eibach lift springs. I have zero rub anywhere, and probably could stuff a 42 (if I did i would get Maxxis stickies for trail use only). If you are gonna do this the advice I can give you is don't overthink the gearing! You will want deeper gearing than you think! Basically it's a 22% reduction to run a 22% larger tire...but you will want more reduction than that because above 35s tires get exponentially heavier! 4.70x1.22=5.73. That seems nuts, but it works really well, and feels good to drive!
Sponsored