Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m also very curious on realistic cost. I’ve been patiently waiting to go big and portals have kept my eye for a bit.
For just portals (which comes with a lot) and tires you’re looking at about $26,000 if you have a shop install them. The beauty of the portal is, it runs on a fully stock suspension, but I would definitely beef up the steering rack.
Sponsored

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The $20k seems like a lot but building a strong Bronco with Dana 44/60 axles and a big brake system with quality coilovers is going to run the same amount. IMO portals might a great way to run high speed out west but on the east coast where we have narrow trails portals are detrimental.

KermitBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We went the.Dana 60, etc. route instead of portals for one and only one reason - portals widen you out a minimum of 6" and typically more like 8".

I'm heading to Baja in June and would love portals or a BRaptor. Or a BRaptor on Portals!

But my bucket list also includes a bunch of difficult shelfroad trails and the higher center of gravity along with wider track is something I didn't want to deal with. They're already often challenging enough.

In terms of budget, anyone in Portals is probably looking at steering rack, new Fox 3.0 coilovers with custom springs from Accutune and $4k in engine upgrades as well . . In for a penny, in for a pound.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
After spending 20k+, you can’t allow the reviewer/shop to mention a Jeep in the review. I am sorry but a bronco on portals would crush a stock Jeep rubicon.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
fYI … 74 weld is currently working with Fox for a custom coil over setup to match their portals

We went the.Dana 60, etc. route instead of portals for one and only one reason - portals widen you out a minimum of 6" and typically more like 8".

I'm heading to Baja in June and would love portals or a BRaptor. Or a BRaptor on Portals!

But my bucket list also includes a bunch of difficult shelfroad trails and the higher center of gravity along with wider track is something I didn't want to deal with. They're already often challenging enough.

In terms of budget, anyone in Portals is probably looking at steering rack, new Fox 3.0 coilovers with custom springs from Accutune and $4k in engine upgrades as well . . In for a penny, in for a pound.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
TraumaJoe

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After spending 20k+, you can’t allow the reviewer/shop to mention a Jeep in the review. I am sorry but a bronco on portals would crush a stock Jeep rubicon.
This shop is known for working on Jeeps and usually only work on single front axle vehicles and this is why it was mentioned, as most of his subscribers are Jeep and SFA people.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Agree with everything but the engine upgrades.... Totally unnecessary. The stock engine runs great.... the 1.22 gear reduction makes all the difference and that is going from 35s to 40s.... The extra weight does take a slight edge off but not what I expected....

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last week I got the 74 Weld portals installed along with some new Fox 2.5 performance elite’s and Icon billit upper control arms. I had an amazing experience with WFO Concepts in Auburn, CA. I wanted to share the walk around video they posted of my Bronco and my build.

Nice truck!

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

But is that fair.... because a Bronco on portals is not really stock now is it? I would suggest a stock Bronco would out perform a stock Rubicon....

Now portals is a whole different game. I would suggest a Bronco on portals and 38s would out perform a Rubicon with a lift on 38s.... the Rubicon will have more articulation but the bronco would have more clearance. When I have lockers front and rear I start leaning toward the clearance over the articulation because... well... 3 wheeling is an emerging thing...

Sponsored

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was watching Matt's Offroad Games this weekend. That one guy with the Bronco on his channel has 74 Weld portals installed. He sheared off his upper ball joint on an obstacle. I wonder if that is going to become a problem area and if 74 Weld is going to address it in the future. I don't have portals and probably never will just from the price point, just curious I guess.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Was watching Matt's Offroad Games this weekend. That one guy with the Bronco on his channel has 74 Weld portals installed. He sheared off his upper ball joint on an obstacle. I wonder if that is going to become a problem area and if 74 Weld is going to address it in the future. I don't have portals and probably never will just from the price point, just curious I guess.
I do not know if that will be a problem point.... It will be something to watch for though.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But is that fair.... because a Bronco on portals is not really stock now is it? I would suggest a stock Bronco would out perform a stock Rubicon....

Now portals is a whole different game. I would suggest a Bronco on portals and 38s would out perform a Rubicon with a lift on 38s.... the Rubicon will have more articulation but the bronco would have more clearance. When I have lockers front and rear I start leaning toward the clearance over the articulation because... well... 3 wheeling is an emerging thing...
It's possible to IRL compare Jeep Rubicon vs Bronco Sasquatch w/74W portals. I don't know it's ever a fair comparison to compare their portals to a non-portal rig that doesn't have significant upgrades. Maybe the Braptor, or an outfitted G Wagon, or a military Hummer w/portals.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It's possible to IRL compare Jeep Rubicon vs Bronco Sasquatch w/74W portals. I don't know it's ever a fair comparison to compare their portals to a non-portal rig that doesn't have significant upgrades. Maybe the Braptor, or an outfitted G Wagon, or a military Hummer w/portals.
very reasonable argument....
Sponsored