Sponsored

7MT Owners - Can you start the Bronco in 4L without the clutch?

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hoping someone can confirm the Bronco can be started in gear in 4L without the use of the clutch.

Our Toyotas have a Clutch Start Cancel button and our Rubicon would let you start in in gear in 4L without the clutch. I'm assuming the Bronco does, but looking for some confirmation.

After watching the video today of the manual Bronco on 40's running The Maze trail he stalled on a steep incline and it seemed like he dumped the clutch to get moving again. I would think that's the perfect scenario for using the starter to get moving.
Sponsored

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hoping someone can confirm the Bronco can be started in gear in 4L without the use of the clutch.

Our Toyotas have a Clutch Start Cancel button and our Rubicon would let you start in in gear in 4L without the clutch. I'm assuming the Bronco does, but looking for some confirmation.

After watching the video today of the manual Bronco on 40's running The Maze trail he stalled on a steep incline and it seemed like he dumped the clutch to get moving again. I would think that's the perfect scenario for using the starter to get moving.
I have been wondering the same thing as I had it on my Xterra Pro-4x. I have not seen anything showing one or seen it listed as a feature when I was deciding on which Bronco to get so I have assumed they do not come with it.

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not that I've figured out yet

But the stall restart is very quick, you don't have to dump it

OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not that I've figured out yet

But the stall restart is very quick, you don't have to dump it

Should be easy to check. Engage 4L, put it in 1st gear, keep your foot off the clutch and turn the key while applying some gas and let us know if it starts

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should be easy to check. Engage 4L, put it in 1st gear, keep your foot off the clutch and turn the key while applying some gas and let us know if it starts
People keep talking about "turn the key", where? Is that something on the lower trim levels? My fob stays in my pocket, I dont even have to pull ot out to unlock the door. I just get up to the door and touch the habdle and it unlocks. I climb in, press the clutch and the start button and it starts.
The G.O.A.T. mode resets after I turn the vehicle off, I will try but I highly doubt this will work with the neutral safety switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

People keep talking about "turn the key", where? Is that something on the lower trim levels? My fob stays in my pocket, I dont even have to pull ot out to unlock the door. I just get up to the door and touch the habdle and it unlocks. I climb in, press the clutch and the start button and it starts.
The G.O.A.T. mode resets after I turn the vehicle off, I will try but I highly doubt this will work with the neutral safety switch.

Sorry, this will be my first vehicle with push start, all our vehicles are manuals and have a physical key.

Most off-road vehicles have a means of overriding the safety switch so you don't have to try and manage 3 pedals in hairy situations where rolling backwards even a little could prove disastrous. Tacomas, FJ Cruisers, older 4Runners, Jeeps, etc. I would be really surprised if the Bronco didn't, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Put in C press start. NO
Put in C hold brake press start. NO
“Press clutch to start “ message.

I’ll look through menus again. Don’t remember it anywhere
Hmm, curious. And this was in 4Low?

OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Put in C press start. NO
Put in C hold brake press start. NO
“Press clutch to start “ message.

I’ll look through menus again. Don’t remember it anywhere

Found the owners manual online!

USING START IN GEAR

When driving difficult terrains in four-wheel drive low (4L), it is possible to stall the engine when your vehicle is not able to maintain speed. To easily start the engine and launch your vehicle, perform the following steps:
  1. After the vehicle stalls an information message displays in the cluster, To start in gear select YES and press OK.
  1. Firmly press the brake pedal when in gear and press and hold the Start button.
  1. When the engine starts and your vehicle begins to move, release the brake pedal.

OP
OP
bodean

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like you have to stall it in 4low first for the option to come up. Little different than what I'm used to, but nice to know it's there.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you have to stall it in 4low first for the option to come up. Little different than what I'm used to, but nice to know it's there.
it also has auto restart if you plain old stall the truck. stab the clutch when you stall and it fires back up.
Sponsored