Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you thought the transmission was great you wouldn’t be complaining and bringing it to the dealer for evaluation. They certainly can’t fix the silly gear ratios. Not a very good endorsement for this slush box.
A “slush box” is slang for an automatic transmission, not a manual transmission. The OP is referring to the 7 MT shift linkage clunking between 1st and 2nd.
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A “slush box” is slang for an automatic transmission, not a manual transmission. The OP is referring to the 7 MT shift linkage clunking between 1st and 2nd.
I apologize as I didn’t plan to confuse you. Sometimes I say motor when I should have said engine and that can be a real mess.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I apologize as I didn’t plan to confuse you. Sometimes I say motor when I should have said engine and that can be a real mess.
No problem. I wasn’t the one that was confused. Just trying to help educate you.

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
The first couple of gears will take much longer to break in (smooth out and quiet down). You spend very little time with them engaged relative to the others. At least that's been my experience from 50 years of driving motorcycles, cars and trucks with manuals.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMHO only, those who can’t seem to start off in 2nd gear are probably not very accomplished in feathered clutch engagement.
Haven’t taken delivery yet but fully expect first gear will only be rarely used. Starting off in 2nd in my (real) Defender is a regular practice.
As a regular practice, skipping 1st gear makes little sense. The ability to do so ought not be an endorsement of the practice.

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a regular practice, skipping 1st gear makes little sense. The ability to do so ought not be an endorsement of the practice.
No reason not to if first gear is too low. Do it all the time in my Defender - clutch is doing just fine. First gear in Bronco MT is designed as a crawler gear.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No reason not to if first gear is too low. Do it all the time in my Defender - clutch is doing just fine. First gear in Bronco MT is designed as a crawler gear.
No it isn't. Crawler is a separate gear, then you have 1-6.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No it isn't. Crawler is a separate gear, then you have 1-6.
So what we have here is a matter of semantics- lowest gear is not indeed first? Then my mistake.
……but still if done correctly starting in second does no harm, been doing it for years.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what we have here is a matter of semantics- lowest gear is not indeed first? Then my mistake.
……but still if done correctly starting in second does no harm, been doing it for years.
No, the MT has a lever that you have to manipulate to move to "crawler" and "reverse" gears, it isn't a normal part of the shifting pattern.

The complaints about 1st gear are nitpicky in a well functioning system.

Unless your 1st gear is a granny, I can't see an advantage to starting from 2nd. It is practically and mechanically proven to be the least effective way to move your vehicle.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the MT has a lever that you have to manipulate to move to "crawler" and "reverse" gears, it isn't a normal part of the shifting pattern.

The complaints about 1st gear are nitpicky in a well functioning system.

Unless your 1st gear is a granny, I can't see an advantage to starting from 2nd. It is practically and mechanically proven to be the least effective way to move your vehicle.
….unless, for instance, starting on very slippery surfaces, facing downhill, ….

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What exactly doesn't work? First gear is short. That's the way it was designed. OP can either just start out in 2nd or regear their transmission and void the warranty. Skipping gears isn't a crime.
There are numerous comments on this thread from people who are actually driving their Broncos and are telling us that second is too tall to start with from a dead stop. That is the part that doesn't appear to work. Now perhaps there's enough difference between say a 2-door BL with 4.70 gear ratio and a 4-door BD with 4.46 gear ratio and only slightly smaller tires that over time we'll hear different experiences from a broader range of people, but so far the anecdotal evidence we have to go on is that second is not an option unless you're already rolling (or presumably on a decent downward gradient).

Also out of curiosity do you actually believe that people "just... regear their transmission"? Their transmission???

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
with the performance of the 10 speed, I don't understand why anyone would ever want a manual!!!!!! LOL. What a pain in the ass!! Traffic, Trail riding, no thanks. I have driven probably 60 miles of trails so far and it is so enjoyable. The 10 speed is buttery smooth.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with the performance of the 10 speed, I don't understand why anyone would ever want a manual!!!!!! LOL. What a pain in the ass!! Traffic, Trail riding, no thanks. I have driven probably 60 miles of trails so far and it is so enjoyable. The 10 speed is buttery smooth.
The 10 speed is great and all (the one in my Raptor was fine) but these are largely a nostalgia driven purchase for many, and their classic Bronco or in my case FSB was a manual, or we want to keep the manual gearbox alive. If there were no manual Bronco I would get on eventually, the fact that the manual exists means I was first in line. Arguably it’s one of the last manual transmission SUV’s that will ever be available, and I want to keep the manual alive for future generations.

I daily drove a manual for about 18 of the last 25 years in metro traffic. Sure there are times in suck ass traffic where it wasn’t fun, but the good certainly outweighs the bad for me. I prefer the more engaged drive and actually having to demonstrate some talent to make it happen.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because:
a) some people enjoy manuals
b) 10 speeds is just too many gears, I had an F150 rental w/ the 10 spd and it never stopped shifting, almost as bad as a CVT, IMO
c) were you kidding?

Gcardieri

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa fe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After reading this thread I’ve been really paying attention to the smoothness of shifting between gears. Turning the auto stop start off made a world of difference for me. The minor start delay was making first gear feel really clunky. Feels much more natural with it off.
Sponsored