First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door 22
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about this, but my frustration has brought me here. I have a 2023 Bronco Raptor currently sitting at just over 4000 miles. I brought the Bronco to the dealership twice to attempt to address the issue and followed up a few more times. The problem is a very noticeable knocking from the engine between 800 and 900 RPMs. Above or below that range it disappears. Apparently there is a service bulletin of some sort stating that this is normal for the engine and there is nothing to fix. Everybody I have shown it to agrees that it would drive them as crazy as it is currently driving me. The service manager is currently digging a little deeper to see if he can get more information, but I'm to the point where I'm considering trading it in for a significant loss. No matter what, I know that I will not keep this vehicle long term if the issue persists. I love the vehicle overall, even if I was never a fan of the 3.0 turbo like many others. At any price point, this type of persisting engine noise would be unacceptable, but for 100k, I'm beyond disappointed. Is anyone else dealing with this?
Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why would there be a TSB if it's 'normal'?

OP
OP

tb6g

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door 22
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why would there be a TSB if it's 'normal'?
I didn't remember the proper nomenclature off hand. They showed me a "SSM" not a "TSB". I'm not sure how SSMs are handled in the long run. At first I thought it could be cam phasers, but it isn't as loud as the videos I've heard, the service department did not describe it as such, and it distinctly and replicatably happens consistently between 800 and 900 RPMs only as far as I can tell.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Before I had my first direct injection engine I would be thinking the engine is toast.

But now? The port+DI in the 2.7L is a sewing machine compared to the farm equipment in an all-DI motor.

I would guess itā€™s probably fine. I donā€™t know that eco boost engines have a history of rod knock.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why do you run the engine between 800 and 900 rpm? Thatā€™s barely above idle and actually lugging it if accelerating. Maybe put it in sport mode to keep the rpmā€™s up?

Sponsored
OP
OP

tb6g

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door 22
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why do you run the engine between 800 and 900 rpm? Thatā€™s barely above idle and actually lugging it if accelerating. Maybe put it in sport mode to keep the rpmā€™s up?
Once the engine settles, it idles closer to 600 RPM so it passes that range every time I accelerate or decelerate. I'd have to raise the idle to avoid that range altogether. It never sits there, but it's apparent everytime it passes.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Once the engine settles, it idles closer to 600 RPM so it passes that range every time I accelerate or decelerate. I'd have to raise the idle to avoid that range altogether. It never sits there, but it's apparent everytime it passes.
I meant try to spend less time in that rpm range. But I get it, I would be concerned also. I would be afraid of having a failure after warranty expires even if I could tolerate the annoying sound.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the dealer have another Raptor you can compare too? I can't imagine that it's "normal"

Nothing Left

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Audi A8, Wrangler JK, WR450F
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Iā€™ve noticed a rough idle in that range as well. I have 11,700 miles and it just started within the last 2,000 miles. Mine idles at that range until the engine warms. Once it drops to normal idle it smoothes out. No knocking but can feel it.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ecoboost engines are noisy whether its the injectors or the cam phasers. Some are better then others, but as you find out its within acceptable range.

OP
OP

tb6g

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door 22
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ecoboost engines are noisy whether its the injectors or the cam phasers. Some are better then others, but as you find out its within acceptable range.
I never liked the EcoBoost sound, but this one sounds different in a bad way. I previously had a 2.7L in a Wildtrak and a 3.5L in a Gen 3 Raptor and neither made this type of noise. I'm going to investigate some more and keep you guys posted. Something definitely seems off. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.
Sponsored