First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have taken it down to 5 miles and 6 miles remaining to empty according to my Bronco.

However, the fill up amounts have been different by almost a gallon.

The first time I dropped down to “5 miles to empty” I filled up 21.46 gal. for a 20.8 gal. tank according to the owner’s manual. But it was 100% Highway miles.

Today I filled up with 6miles to empty and only put in 20.667 gallons. But this was combined city highway.

Ford Bronco Accuracy of “Miles to Empty” on dashboard 5DF66464-6CC3-4C22-A6CD-77267E459503
Ford Bronco Accuracy of “Miles to Empty” on dashboard 20A25DE3-EC5B-429D-A030-6F187994C13F

this only 2 datapoints but based on this so far, I feel I can be more aggressive going to 0 miles when in the city, vs doing a cross-country trip.

Without knowing what the absolute max capacity of the Bronco is, I don’t want to push it when “next services” is 100 miles away and the miles to empty says 100 miles 🤣

but in the city I feel I can risk going to 0 as long as I know a gas station is only a couple of miles away.

Will be interested if other folks have similar or different datapoints. I know some folks may have a faulty fuel sensor, but for those who have a properly working sensor, if others have gone close to 0 , how much fuel did you put in?
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None of the fuel info data on any vehicle I have ever owned is even remotely accurate. My calculated fuel economy (based on actual fuel used vs distance travelled) is much worse than what my dash shows.

It's a guideline and not very accurate.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have taken both my F150 and Bronco below 5 miles several times and have hit 1 on both a couple of times and 0 once on the truck, which was quite nerve wracking. I never really paid that much attention to how many gallons went back in so can't help there.

Side note, I was riding in my buddies new Tahoe the other day and when it drops below 30 miles left it changes to just saying Low Fuel. I don't think I could handle that.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it's just an estimate most vehicles it's based on fuel pressure so it can vary depending on multiple factors. To be truthful when you start dipping below a 1/4 tank you should just get gas anyway. Running down to the last drop is not good on your vehicle and if you do run dry it can be a very costly repair or replacement of your fuel pump etc.

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve never let mine get below a 1/4 tank so I can’t speak to that but I have gotten wildly different DTE estimates after filling up. From 303 to 250. For the record I only get 14.7 or less MPG

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On all vehicles there's a reserve. 0 isn't empty.

Seems like a gallon or more
My question is how much "reserve" is there? Since I have filled up with 21.46 gallons, there is at least 0.6gal capacity more than the stated 20.8gal tank.

My goal isn't to run dry, but my engineering curiosity wants to know what the actual capacity is.

But today tells me that when I am in the city and gas stations abound, I can go to 0 if circumstances warrant it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never let mine get below a 1/4 tank so I can’t speak to that but I have gotten wildly different DTE estimates after filling up. From 303 to 250. For the record I only get 14.7 or less MPG
Man, that is really sucky gas mileage. I can see that you are a 4-door. Are you manual or automatic? 2.3 or 2.7?

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You guys have more nerve than I. When I see a quarter tank remaining I have to plan a route to get by the no-ethanol pump soon.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys have more nerve than I. When I see a quarter tank remaining I have to plan a route to get by the no-ethanol pump soon.
i never let it go below 1/4 tank. Its habit here in MN with winter weather because if we ever get stranded we can have some gas still

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it's just an estimate most vehicles it's based on fuel pressure so it can vary depending on multiple factors. To be truthful when you start dipping below a 1/4 tank you should just get gas anyway. Running down to the last drop is not good on your vehicle and if you do run dry it can be a very costly repair or replacement of your fuel pump etc.
I know it is somewhat of an estimate, but as long as it is a consistent estimate, that is all that matters to me. Without getting pejorative between German parts vs. American parts, my E46 BWM is 18 years old and the "miles remaining" reading has always been spot on. I know I can take it to 0 and will always have some gas in the tank. That tank is 15.7gal and I have also put in up to 16.4 multiple times, so there is a significant "reserve" as well. I have never run out of gas in my bimmer and trust the readings.

Just trying to figure out the precision and accuracy of the readings in the Bronco so I can plan accordingly. Obviously, running out of gas with 1/8 of a tank remaining would be really bad. I am not seeing that which is a good thing. I will do this a couple more times and if I get the same results, I won't go out of my way to keep doing it. I just want to know that I can do it if need be.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It isn't like I make this a habit. I just wanted to know how accurate the gauges are. I usually fill up around a 1/4 tank or as soon as the red light goes on (50 miles remaining).
Sponsored